Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 to california...need help!

Options
  • 06-02-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Me and about 12 of my friends are going on a j1 2california in the summer 4 3months, we dont want 2 go2 san fran as thats where all the other colleges ect are goin. does any1 no netin about santa monica? or venice beach? newport? ect...bear in mind we need cheap accomadation and jobs. any info wud be great
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conor_power

we're thinking about going to huntington beach, staying away from san fran/san diego for the same reasons as yourselves. we reckon that if u go to any of the big tourist spots (hb, santa cruz, newport etc.) there should be loads of part-time jobs available...or so we hope! accomm is prob a bit expensive though but as long as u get by it'd be grand. just think about the beach!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kimberleyd

Have u got accomadation or jobs sorted for huntington beach?we're lookin at that now,looks savage!!!:)

first we thought we could just sort out somewhere to live when we got over ther but then we realised dat u need an address to apply for an SSN and since u need an SSN to get a job, we're gonna hav to look for somewhere before we go over. we haven't found jobs yet either, been looking on the net but there's not much on it. we also found out that huntington beach doesn't hav a boardwalk so that means there wont be many beach jobs available. should still be able to find something tho, the place gets really busy during the summer :) have ye had any luck with jobs/accomm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kimberleyd

We just paid deposits 4 visas 2day so gonna start now...der 11 of us so we need a house...gonna squeze in2 a 3 bed house prob.der looks like der a good few houses available...i lik the look of huntington beach

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Guys, this appears to be a lovely chat and I hope you all get sorted with your visas, but less of the txt spk please - it makes this painful to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Amsterdam

I went to oceanside in san diego last year! Tis a really nice area and the beaches are really nice. Its not too far from san diego/ LA/ TJ..etc so there is plenty of things to do. Give it a look!

yeah we're def gonna go to hb i think...it looks savage. when are ye thinkin about goin...looks like it'll be first week of june for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

If Huntington Beach doesn't work out you could try 2nd Street in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach just a few miles up the road.

http://www.belmontshore.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zippybaby

Amsterdam....my sister and cousin are going to San Deigo, any advice on getting jobs and accommodation??

Appreciate the help in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elizajane

I spent three months in huntington beach last summer with 14 friends...it was amazing...the beach and weather is fab:) we were planning on going to santa monica all along...but realised that this is a really rich area and theres no way we could afford the rent. we got a four bed house in the centre of huntington beach and as there was 14 of us in it, the rent worked out really cheap:) we were about ten mins walk from the beach and 15 from the town...although we all got bicycles to get around. most of us got work on the peddy cabs...great fun but not great money! only two of the people with us were 21, the rest of us had fake id's (drivers licence) everywhere in huntington beach was very strict...they were well aware of the irish and fake id's...so it was more house party's and fire's down by the beach! newport is only a ten min drive away and they werent as strict...also long beach was a great place to go out :) i would defo recommend going to huntington :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

craigslist.com is the place to look for house rentals and jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Anyone else notice this is from three years ago? I'm sure they've been already! They should tell us how they got on and what they ended up doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm locking this thread because

a) it's four years olds

b) J1 threads belong in the independent and youth and student travel fourm not in living abroad which is for people making a more permanent move

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement