Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My theory on why girls do better than boys

• 06-02-2006 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

girls are scared easier by teachers and do what their told, they fear being disliked or being failures, they are more weakminded in that sense and aim to be teachers pets.

guys are more strong mentality and take setbacks in their stride. they have a rebelious attitude and aren't scared by screaming teachers or parents.

im a guy and thats what i think.

*sprints off and waits for thread to explode*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hotasfunk

i concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

I know it's a bit sexist, but I have to say, right on smemon. It's basically the exact same theory I have.

Lads do things for themselves. If it doesn't make sense for them, they won't bother.

Girls are bound to the "group" - what will the rest think, I have to do as good as suchagirl - and don't think as independently. The motivations are different, I think.

ALSO - lads can accept setbacks (girls refuse lads, lest we forget) whereas girls are afraid of failure.

Sorry if I'm reiterating but our theories are similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

indeed, great minds think alike.

it's just something that annoys me when teachers nag on about it.

you look at anorexia, clothes and all that stuff amongst young girls, they have to be perfect and do and act like what they see and are told.

that obsession has only taken off in the 90's which coincides with girls overtaking boys in the results.

whilst results might be improving, mental problems are also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Me thinks that not be it, one of the two has to be ahead, the difference is probably marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I must say I never thought about it that way before, but I'd have to say I agree with you. It'd be interesting to see with girls think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

yes but guys only do things 'for themselves' as you say, because they want to look big and do not want to apear as if they need anyones help, this is just stupid, girls DO do better because we have an amazing ability- we can ask for help! fellas are stubborn and in conclusion they dont do as well as often.

However those who do try do brilliant though, for example - most teachers are women but most principals are men, proving that when men set their mind to it they are brill achievers! (girls still rock though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

When it comes to study and work aren't girls more competitive with each other. The lads are only really concerned about competition when out on the hurling pitch or when trying to atract a girl's attention... But when it comes to school stuff, it's hard enough for the boys to get motivated about it and study and work. For those who do, I think a pat on the back is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I think boys do better than girls, or it is at least very close.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i remember when i was in school all the lads used to stare at the hot girls in Class....

well, thats my excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i remember when i was in school all the lads used to stare at the hot girls in Class....

well, thats my excuse

lol, that's most definitely the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

OTliddy wrote:
    I think boys do better than girls, or it is at least very close.
    Its a fact girls do better than boys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Its a fact girls do better than boys...
    Yep, it's true. Even in some of the traditional "boy" subjects they are either doing better or will be soon. I think girls have more focus - if that's driven by competition or by doing what they're told I don't know though.

Take me for example, I have an Irish mock exam tomorrow and I'm on boards typing away ;)

No focus whatsoever... ah sure it's only the mocks

Well liddy in fairness ms sweeney did wipe the boards in carrick cs last year!But then again i never met someone as determined as her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

smemon wrote:
    girls are scared easier by teachers and do what their told, they fear being disliked or being failures, they are more weakminded in that sense and aim to be teachers pets.

im not quite sure - i can agree with some parts definitely. but the first bit about girlsd being "scared" by teachers and fea of beign disliked? not true for me anyway. i get on grand with most of my teachers, and if i dont do well in something, i laugh about it and openly admit i didnt bother... I never aim to be teacher pet though - theres plenty of other people up for the running for that! those "yes sir.... ;) " people.. and who always are just... annoying in class... i am not weakminded in that way i can tell you...

I think your general theory is right, but some of the minor theories are hard to pinpoint..

of course, i know loadfs fo girls who do nothing, and loads of lads who work really hard, so of course its impossible to generalise...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Rockerette wrote:
    ............. so of course its impossible to generalise...
    Thats what the statistics do :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

girls are more mature.. they realise whats ahead of them and do it while guys are still punching eachother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

girls are just better at cheating:p

Advertisement