Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dublin 7

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Actually quad_red, could you ring SMART.....

I just did. And there is good and bad news.

The good: they insisted that there does not have to be an active eircom line.

The bad: he gave a timeline of 2/3+ months for the cabra exchange.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I 'm in Cabra, off Fassaugh Avenue. I used to have IBB but dumped it in November because the service was crap. At the time I was looking for another ISP, I contacted SMART and was told that the Cabra exchange wouldn't be rolled out until May 2006. Thankfully BT have six month contracts and mine will expire in May - hopefully SMART will be coming online then.

Talisman wrote:
    I contacted SMART and was told that the Cabra exchange wouldn't be rolled out until May 2006.

Well, that tallies with what I was told. May is three months from now. But the SMART salesman said there was no set date. Steffano said they told him it would be sooner.

Do they actually know what they're talking about?

Was BT bad Talisman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

quad_red wrote:
    The bad: he gave a timeline of 2/3+ months for the cabra exchange.:(
    No way? That's a bit poo alright... My IBB connection is working ok at the moment so I'm not too worried myself but it's cr@p for you...
    Weird though... Every time I rang them up they said March 2006... :confused:

quad_red wrote:
    Well, that tallies with what I was told. May is three months from now. But the SMART salesman said there was no set date. Steffano said they told him it would be sooner.

Do they actually know what they're talking about?
    Probably not...
    quad_red wrote:
    Was BT bad Talisman?
    I had it. Was grand but download limit + Eircom line rental was a no no for me

• Advertisement

what to do now, eh? :(

Eircom is too pricey.

SMART is at least a few months away (and ambiguity in arrival dates gives the impression that it'll be around later rather than sooner).
    IBB, whilst apparently functioning normally in my area, is a customer service quagmire.
    BT are busy f*ckin everyone over and robbing their money.
    NTL isn't available.
    Magnet is expensive - especially for what you get.

Steffano, are you on cable or wireless BB?

quad_red wrote:
    SMART is at least a few months away (and ambiguity in arrival dates gives the impression that it'll be around later rather than sooner).
    IBB, whilst apparently functioning normally in my area, is a customer service quagmire.
    BT are busy f*ckin everyone over and robbing their money.
    NTL isn't available.
    Magnet is expensive - especially for what you get.

Steffano, are you on cable or wireless BB?
    I'd go with BT for 6 months if I had these options... This way after 6 months you can go to SMART.

I'm on IBB Breeze 2MB/2MB. Was on the Guinness mast (avoid at all cost!) and now on Park House for the past 2 weeks or so. Park House is alright. Speeds are up and down like a wh*re's knickers but at least latency is ok (only interested in gaming really).
    I still wouldn't recommend them though... Had WAY to many problems with them! Plus, you'd be tied up for a year...
    But it's up to you!

I'd go with BT for 6 months if I had these options... This way after 6 months you can go to SMART.

I'm on IBB Breeze 2MB/2MB. Was on the Guinness mast (avoid at all cost!) and now on Park House for the past 2 weeks or so. Park House is alright. Speeds are up and down like a wh*re's knickers but at least latency is ok (only interested in gaming really).
    I still wouldn't recommend them though... Had WAY to many problems with them! Plus, you'd be tied up for a year...
    But it's up to you!

Cheers mate. I'll take the info back to the joint chiefs and see what they make of it. :cool:

Advertisement