Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Cast Iron Fireplaces

Options
  • 06-02-2006 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, I've been told that you can paint cast iron fireplaces be they antique or new. I was thinking of getting one done in white - apparently some places will spray paint them for you. Has anyone seen the finished result - does it turn out ok or should it be avoided?

Cheers in advance for any info.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Are you gonna be using the fireplace?I've lived ina couple of places that had them and to be honest all you really need to do is give it a coat of primer and two coats of good white gloss.The reason i asked were you going to use the fireplace is obviously the heat might make the paint bubble but they dont conduct heat very well so it shouldnt be a problem.The other advantage is that if you ever want it back to its original state,gloss is quite easy to strip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DIY Queen

Cheers Degsy,

Yup use the fire all the time, I've been told to use a heat resistant paint but would love to hear from someone that's had it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I wouldnt advice using normal white gloss,because white gloss when it reaches a certain temperature it starts to turn yellow.Anyone paint there rads? You will know what Im taking about if you have. Anyway the heat of the fire will probably make gloss bubble as well.But this is in theory you might get away with it.

I think there is paints out there with zinc or a high neat resistant paint.Im not sure you can get it in white.Have only seen it come in an aerosol black in colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If ya dont use the fire for a while untill the paint dries it should be okay,make sure you use a primer first.I've done it and there's been no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There is special heat resistant paint for stoves and I presume they would work on a cast iron fireplace take a look through www.calfire.com they may have the answer for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

DIY Queen wrote:
    Cheers Degsy,

Yup use the fire all the time, I've been told to use a heat resistant paint but would love to hear from someone that's had it done.

Sister had me install very old cast iron one. I had the job of finding out what paint to use. Everyone I talked to recommended 2 coats of any oil based paint. They gave me a lot of speel ..like the temperature at which oil based paint is likely to be damaged or go on fire etc.....Anyway in the end she gave it two coats of black paint and hasen't had to go bact to it since....maybe 4 or 5 years. Gas ceramic insert fire used (not continually)

Painters that I work with repaint our electric reds with 2 coats of oil based gloss...but no undercoat(for some reason that's important)
    hope that helps
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Is it a gas, electric or open fire DIY queen?

Gas fires don't get as hot as open fires so you probably could use a metal primer paint followed by gloss. I wouldn't really recommend white though.

If it's an open fire, ordinary gloss will tend to bubble/crack/burn/yellow so you should really spray it with a temperature resistant stove black. You'll find it in any fireplace shop and most DIY places.

Advertisement