Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso Maker

• 06-02-2006 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a decent espresso maker. I want one that also froths the milk with steam. Budget is around €150. I've been using a filter coffee maker for years but want to switch so I can make mochas and other similar coffees. I'll be getting a grinder too, are these usually much the same or are there some I should avoid. Any help on recommended brands and good places to buy them would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

im interested in a machine like this too, but i only drink black coffee so is it a waste of time and should i just stick to a cafetiere? im not even sure of the difference! sorry for gatecrashing ur thread btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

im interested in a machine like this too, but i only drink black coffee so is it a waste of time and should i just stick to a cafetiere? im not even sure of the difference! sorry for gatecrashing ur thread btw

I would recommend the Bialeti Brikka. Its a stove top espresso maker. Makes nicer coffee than a cafetiere in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Not looking for a stove top one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

If you could stretch to 200, I'd highly reccomend a Briel. Some info in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869496&highlight=briel

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Hi FX Meister,

IMO If you are going to buy an espresso machine I would push yourself a little further than €150. The Cheap gaggia start at €200, they are well worth the money, they last for years. or as Shabadu said the Briel seem good.

As for a grinder I would go for a cheap burr grinder, something like this http://www.shopireland.ie/kitchen/reviews/B000094U5T/2/ they start about €70 or €80, if you dont want to spend that much at the moment buy one of the hand grinders, like this http://www.shopireland.ie/kitchen/search/hand+grinder/ they are a little bit of work but they only cost about €20-€30 and give better results than any blade grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I've actually never been that impressed by a Gaggia- or the Francis Francis as I mentioned in the other thread. Maybe it was just the model I used, but I get a far better crema from the Briel.

I have a feeling you need to spend big bucks on a Gaggia if you want a good performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I got an Ariete Supreme fully-automatic (bean to cup) from a company on ebay for €180. It's every bit as good as the low end Saeco and Gaggia full-autos and less than half the price. Company's name is 'Sim-Buy' and they have 7-8 for sale every day.

This ones looks good, http://www.buy4now.ie/arnotts/index_holder.asp?p=1&StoreID=1&productid=9285&type=1&location=SD&catid=1456&familyid=&pid=9285&nav=2/
    Not mad about the design of the Kenwood one.
    I'll take a look for the briel one this weekend.

Zuutroy, do you know the seller on ebay or have a link? I can't seem to find a seller with that name

Cheers

Here ya go. Drinking a cup from one as we speak! Highly recommended

coffee machines

Cool, that looks pretty good. And a built in grinder. How much was shipping to Ireland? Have you used the frother and is it any good?

• Advertisement

I Think shipping was 20-odd. The frother is very good: more powerful than the Saeco machine that broke on me :( and quick to heat up.

http://www.ariete.net/Catalogo/prodotti/Mod1317.htm

if you want a description in English. The brand uses the same OEM as Kenwood, same place where the Cafe Retro comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I recently bought a Gaggia coffee maker from Italy Outet. They have an office in Cork but stiff is shipped from Italy. Decent bit less than retail in Arnotts or BT.

They seem to have 3 models for e189 - Gaggia Expresso, Gaggia Carezza, Gaggia Evolution.

I second the burr grinder (as opposed to blade). I found one in Marks & Spencer early last year for e30! Worth asking them about it.

For coffee, I've been getting beans from the Ariosa Coffee stall at Temple Bar Farmers' Market on Saturdays. The guy is knowledgeable and passionate about his coffee. The beans are all roasted within the previous few days.
    I used to get beans from Java Republic (now available as beans or ground, in Superquinn).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

daymobrew wrote:
    For coffee, I've been getting beans from the Ariosa Coffee stall at Temple Bar Farmers' Market on Saturdays. The guy is knowledgeable and passionate about his coffee. The beans are all roasted within the previous few days.
    I used to get beans from Java Republic (now available as beans or ground, in Superquinn).

Shut up! Don't tell everyone about Ariosa Coffee, there will be no beans left for us.

Advertisement