Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing Solution

Options
  • 06-02-2006 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I'm currently building a new shed in my garden and am thinking of possible ways to roof it. It will have a flat roof. Dimensions are 4m x 8m. I'm wondering what the best options are. Obviously I want it to be long lasting but price is also a big consideration. I will also have 2 velux windows in the roof. So am I best off going for slates or tiles? I've also heard of a type of tin cladding that has ridges so it looks like tiles but I have no idea what this is called. Is this stuff cheap/easy to install? Is it really noisy when it rains? Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Now I may be wrong, but I don't think Velux windows are designed to be used in a completely flat roof; they need to be at a certain angle to be weatherproof, minimum 30 degrees or something like that. maybe someone else can shed (Get it? Get it?) on this.

You may need a dome skylight or some such fitting.

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

When I say flat roof I mean it will have a fall on it and the angle of the fall will be enough to accomodate the velux windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Fx.....

There are two items to consider when going low slope / pitch with Velux,

1 the low slope / pitch Velux system is one of the most expensive in their range of products.

2 if you want a quality roof with Velux roof windows but cost is an issue you might look at increasing the pitch to 25 degrees and using concrete tiles, depending on the underlay used and your location you may be able to go as low as 20 degrees.

It is possible to fit Velux windows in tile sheets like www.nordman.ie but remember tin roofs are subject to condensation and the tile sheet while ok has it's future problems, but ok for a shed, maybe.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I was going to have the rood at enough of an angle to accomodate standard velux windows. I think the flat roof/ low pitch velux look really ugly. And as you said, pricey too so I'll forget about them. It's for a shed but not just a crappy shed. It'll be an extra couple of rooms, a nice games/TV room with a bar and it will have a bathroom. And a spare bedroom too for guests. So you would go for concrete tiles over slates then? What are the downsides of the tin roof? I plan to have in insulated anyway so is condensation still a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi FX...

The reason I would go for tiles instead of slates is the pitch can be lower for the tiles, but if 25 degrees is not a problem and you want a nice finish then you can still use the more expensive Tegral Riven fibre cement slates or natural slate.

Properly insulated the tile sheet will work, the problems are about fifteen to twenty years down the road depending on your location, there is one tile sheet I have no problem with but it's probably as easy to use a concrete tile if you have the pitch.

• Advertisement

The slope is south facing so I presume that is good. I'll have to check if a 25 degree pitch will suit. I have to build it according to planning regs so I need to check if the higher side of the roof will still be low enough to stay within regulations. I was also told I might have problems fitting the velux windows to the nordman sheeting with the flashings for them. Thanks for the info pete, you're a great help.

Advertisement