Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will my insurane be f**ked?

Options
  • 06-02-2006 7:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a named driver on my mothers policy, its the only way i could get insured on the car I have. I get it pretty cheap so I don't mind not building up a no caims bonus. Anyway, my mum just got caught drink driving. She has yet to be 'prosecuted' but if she does, and looses her licence, does anyone know if my insurance will still be valid, or will the polocy be revoked, and will I have to go get my own one?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hopefully she'll lose her license. :mad:

And hopefully you don't take many life lessons from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If she lose's her licence I'm pretty sure her and therefore your policy will become invalid, wouln't be 100% on that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

You can't get insured under her name if she looses her licence. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Her insurance company may be agreeable to keeping your business if not your mothers, because they are down a customer for a year or two now and you've presumably not cost them a penny while you've been on your mothers insurance.

If you do have to start your own there are companies out there that take into consideration no claims while you were a named driver on a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If your stupid mom loses her licence and lets hope she does, then you will need to get insurance cover some other way as her policy is invalidated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd get off her policy and get your own now. I hope she looses her licence too.
    One thing that really gets me is drink driving. Saw a guy hammered driving a CBR Fireblade (very badly) last saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It was his mam that lost her licence not him. No need to go all Ricki Lake on the chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ballooba wrote:
    It was his mam that lost her licence not him. No need to go all Ricki Lake on the chap.

yeah, don't hate!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

ballooba wrote:
    Cheers Ballooba well said. Yes we all know it is a stupid thing to do but lets not do a song and dance about it.

I had been a named driver on my mothers policy for about 5 years. I then left the country for a year and I was taken off the policy. When I came back and wanted to try to get my own policy, because of the year gap, they said that it becomes null and void, so I was pretty much starting again.

Is this normal, are they all like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It may depend on the policy. On a technicality, she may be able to obtain insurance, but not drive the car (due to her being disqualified). I know my policies only state that the person driving the vehicle must be licenced, it doesn't actually specify that the person named on the cert must hold a licence (though I'll check the policy booklet - that would be a biggie to simply "overlook").

If she loses her licence (which could go either way), she would be obliged to inform the insurance company, who would then most likely cancel her policy and refund her. If she's not disqualified, she'll get an endorsement, and will still have to inform the insurance company.
    If she does lose her licence, she'd be better off cancelling her insurance instead of telling the insurance company. Forcibly cancelled insurance can count against your ability to get reinsured (as well as the conviction, of course).
    Is this normal, are they all like this?
    There's no onus to give NCBs or discounts for named drivers. The company has the right to cancel the bonus, the same as they have the right to give it to you. You'll find that many insurers don't give you any discount for named driver experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You won't be penalised for your Mum's conviction, but this may be a moot point.

The best thing you can do is make a note off all the years you were a named driver and propose for cover yourself. Some insurers may give you credit for your accident free driving record by way of an "ex gratia" n.c.b.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The best thing you can do is make a note off all the years you were a named driver and propose for cover yourself. Some insurers may give you credit for your accident free driving record by way of an "ex gratia" n.c.b.

I got a 50% NCB this way, only required a letter statting that "I" had not been the cause of any accidents or losses for more than 5 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Onkle51 wrote:
    One thing that really gets me is drink driving. Saw a guy hammered driving a CBR Fireblade (very badly) last saturday night
    What did you do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

first off,ur mam may not lose her license.
    2nd, her present insurer HAS to keep her business, no matter how bad the offence is. even if she is banned, they would have to take her back when she gets her licence back,big cost though.
    if she does lose her licence, chances are your best bet are to stick with your current insurer as they would look more favourably on ur business.
    a lot of companies will take named driving experience and give you an intro bonus for the number of years u were driving, but it has to follow immediatelly after the present policy expires. it does not hold for 2 yrs like proper no claims.
    anyway, good luck, and I'm just glad ur mam didn't hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Zascar wrote:
    ...does anyone know if my insurance will still be valid...?
    thanks

You don't have insurance. Your mother does.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Surely the car can be insured(just not be driven by her). What about theft or damage in the driveway.

Advertisement