Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lua Lua

• 06-02-2006 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

If true (its the Sun), this is a shocking story.
    FOOTBALL star Lomana Tresor LuaLua was last night mourning the death of his 18-month-old son — after the news was kept from him by officials for TWO WEEKS.
    The tot died in Britain on January 20 from a mystery illness.

But Congolese chiefs did not tell their captain to avoid distracting him as he played in the African Cup of Nations.

They only broke the news after the Democratic Republic of Congo lost their quarter final to hosts Egypt.

Shocked Portsmouth star LuaLua, 25, flew home from the tournament 24 hours early.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006060079,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jaysis

hope the Sun arent BS'ing...that takes it a little bit beyond their usual BS'ing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fcuking hell. If true that's disgusting. Football is a job at the end of the day to him, I'd be disgusted if employers did something like that to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Thats a bloody disgrace if its true. Poor chap. The mentality of some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i saw it in the sun today and wasnt sure whether to believe it or not. horrible thing to do to someone.fans take the game very serious and players take the game very serious but there is line there that shouldnt be crossed and the authorities in this case seem to have crossed that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

would the babys mother not just tell him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

jesus, thats terrible, ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Shocking...........absoloutly shocking :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

yes, reading the sun is shocking

apparently his son did die (read a quote), but i would suspect the sun is putting a sensationalist twist on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If its true thats absolutely shocking, if its not true...shame on the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tusky wrote:
    If its true thats absolutely shocking, if its not true...shame on the sun.

Agreed , something doesn't sound right about it though. would he not have been in contact with home and relatives when he was away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It doesn't really add up...as someone mentioned above, surely the mother would have gotten in contact with Lua Lua? Or some relation?
    If it's not just sensationalism, and Congo officials did keep it from him so he could concentrate on the African Nation's Cup, then it's a disgrace. And surely they would be in the height of ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Thats horrible, jeez poor guy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The story does seem a little far fetched but if its true then that is just shocking stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well the death is true, not sure about the context the Sun have put it in though.

http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=9111

From the official site (needs registration):

http://www.pompeyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10396~779657,00.html?
    LUALUA ASKS FOR PRIVACY

LuaLua

The club has issued the following statement on behalf of Lomana Tresor LuaLua after the loss of his 18 month old son.

Pompey striker LuaLua has thanked the enormous amount of people who have sent good wishes to him and the club following the news concerning the death of his son whilst the player was on African Cup of Nations duty. He has also been deeply touched by many messages of sympathy.

At this moment LuaLua would like to be left alone to properly grieve and asks that everybody respects his wishes of privacy at this sad time.

Everyone at the club would also like to offer their condolences to our striker.

Speaking briefly the player said "I am devastated by the tragic loss. I am grateful and appreciative for the kind wishes and support I have received from everybody.

"As I am sure everyone will understand I just wish to be with my family and be allowed to grieve privately.

"I appreciate everyone respecting my wishes."

Advertisement