Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2 Ordinary Level

Options
  • 06-02-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I failed paper one so I badly need hints for paper 2! Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i failed so bad too, the qs were nothing like the past papers! simpsons rule etc comes up obv, the trig q was ridiculously hard so i ended up just giving probability a try even though id never really done it before. statisitcs was really the only ok q on my paper 2 tbh- if you dod linear programming as your option make sure you know max profit and max income and all that. otherwise good luck, its a toughie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah i did mathes p2 today..it was really hard i probably failed it..my attempt marks mite get me the pass doh if im lucky..i actually snuck the exam sheet home with me..i could scan it up but im too tiered sorry mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

arent ya allowed take the exam sheets home? ..
    i have all mine! apart from ones ya had to write on. dont have a scanner though im afraid.
    attemot marks is what im relying on too-i put every formula i knew down even when i knew it was wrong just in case lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah them attempt marks are a life saver thats how ill pass mathes in june..because of them..

no i dont think so..some schools will probably let ya go with them because they cant be bothered ..its because i could show it to my mate or even put it up on the net for people to see ..so it aint fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

have pass paper 2 maths 2mara.

any tips??? it my last exam so i couldnt give a fcvk anyway like!! i reckon i got 35-45% in P1 and i shud get bout 55% in P2 so i shud be alrite but any tips anyway??

any good samaratans out there with a scanner? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I only have paper one.
    THe Simpson's Rule q and the probability is similar to those in the Text and Texts revision exercises!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shamon

I only have paper one.
    THe Simpson's Rule q and the probability is similar to those in the Text and Texts revision exercises!!!

what are they?! :confused:

yeah what are they? like the revision things in the textbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

what came up on paper1, and was it hard? i only have paper1 tomoro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

i thought paper one was ok, Calculus came up, Arithmetic/Geomatric Sequences, Complex Numbers, that formulae with minus b and the squareroot of b squared minus 4 a c over 2 a, umm cant remember anymore. maths paper 1 was last week for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah Paper 1 was a bitch as it was full of differentation and other crap which I couldn't understand! Paper 2 was much easier though but I found some parts hard. I feel sorry for anyone doing Higher Level maths as if ordinary was hard, I wonder what higher would be like . . . . . .

what came up on paper1, and was it hard? i only have paper1 tomoro.

v hard. well it probably wasnt if u new wat u wer at. i done literally nothing and just about passed (i mean 40%) and im fairly good at school so for you id say you'll fail. :p

1st 2 questions were easy enough but then ur into all that i+ui and all that sh!te, getting the square roots of things and dividing them by x+z divided by hui times gfht. all the usual sh!te thats absoultely no use to anyone whatsoever apart from a mats teacher.

ill make up for it with paper 2, not till 20th, all mid term to study :p ill just study irish/english tonite, feck paper1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

anyone know what theorems came up on paper2?

smemon wrote:
    v hard. well it probably wasnt if u new wat u wer at. i done literally nothing and just about passed (i mean 40%) and im fairly good at school so for you id say you'll fail. :p

1st 2 questions were easy enough but then ur into all that i+ui and all that sh!te, getting the square roots of things and dividing them by x+z divided by hui times gfht. all the usual sh!te thats absoultely no use to anyone whatsoever apart from a mats teacher.

is this ordinary level?

yeah, y?

ah crap, i have it tomoro, paper 1, maths ordinary level. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey all. iv maths paper 1/2 tuesay.. any1 have and help they cud give me. wud love if u could..

email on maggyb_88@hotmail.com

or if ne1 have tips on french biology pass irish englishor chemistry.

plz plz plz thanks

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

Paper 2 is actually much easier than paper 1 when you have all the preparation done, I always thought paper 2 was harder than paper 1 until I decided to study paper 2. The first step and the life-saving step I used was Less-Stress-More-Success. Study all the examples and figure out what you do, if you can't understand, ask your teacher to explain. If you can understand the examples, all you have to do is apply the same rules to the questions.

It has to be remembered that with a maths exam, they can only ask you so many types of questions on each topic, and it's much more limited than some other subjects.

As for the theorems you may have to learn, well the first step is to understand what's happening by the theorem and understanding every step, this makes learning them 10x simpler. Then unfortunatly, you must memorize the steps. Learning them for a few weeks is good however, you must regularly if not daily go over them for 10 minutes +.

Another important step is to memorize all the formula, whether you like it or not, you will have to apply formula, so all you have to do is learn them all. It's a 100% certainty, so why not learn them?
    You have midpoint, slope.....etc, do you know those?, if you don't now, and you don't study, then you won't know them for the exam and you'll lose marks and if you lose enough marks you fail the exam, so when you look at it like that, the are absolutely vital.

The last and probably most important step is to go over the past exam papers, you hear it all the time, but this is what I did and it worked for me learning maths. Attempt all the Q.1's for example over the past few years and get your teacher to correct it, then from your mistakes, learn from your mistakes, and make sure you learn the different types and get familiar with the questions. Then probably a week later, retry those Q.1's and see how you do without help of course and by right you should have achieved better which is a big step in that all important right direction. That's bound to of increased your potential grade already. Edco Exam Papers are the ones I use because they have an online facility for getting the answers to the exam questions.

Basically, that's all you have to do, if you don't work you'll fail, it's as simple as that, work from what I've told you and you should pass no problem. But it's vital that you learn now, I did rush for my exams before doing maths and it's not easy, with over 3 months left, it's more than enough time to learn all the material or at least learn enough to pass.

Although it must be stressed, if you are not sufficiently motivated to learn maths, which is essential, you will find it extremely difficult even if you followed my help. If you really are struggling with a question say, then why not use a forum and ask the question and get the ' experts ', to explain it to you, that is, however, if your teacher is not around let's say, at the weekend or something like leading up to the exam.

Advertisement