Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT Broadband negative?

• 06-02-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

i am on the 3Mbit BT Broadband Plus package and had been receiving 2Mbit speeds on download for the past 6 months without issue prior to the "upgrade" some weeks back, then upgrade came and for 5 solid days the connection was fine at 3Mbit down and 300Kbps or so upload.

then, it all went downhill where it has stayed (below is the extreme - as of this evening):
    esatbtbbprob0zr.png

is anyone else in a similar situation? i know many other people have had on and off issues with eircom/BT since the upgrade but mine seems permanent since it occurred.

btw - i am on the Maynooth exchange.

EDIT - also pings are fine, just the speed is bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I dunno whats going on my 3mb is only reaching 230kbs on downloads, I usually top out at 315kbs. Its only slowed up though in the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mine keeps disconnecting every ten minutes and the speeds ain't great either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm in the very same boat. From talking with them yesterday, my only option is to downgrade. But your charged 30e for each downgrade, free to upgrade. I'm thinking of downgrading to the 1mb. Anything has to be better then all of these disconnections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I'm in the very same boat. From talking with them yesterday, my only option is to downgrade. But your charged 30e for each downgrade, free to upgrade. I'm thinking of downgrading to the 1mb. Anything has to be better then all of these disconnections.

If your connection is unstable then BT MUST attempt to fix it for FREE.

If the answer to achieve a stable connection is to downgrade then BT MUST do this downgrade for you for FREE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There could had been high contention on the exchange, if there was they have the right to divide your connection between 20 people when loads of people are downloading

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Zuma is right people , whats wrong with you ?

they have a legal obligation to fix it as they are in breach of contract ,

threaten them with comreg , solicitors letter then cancellation in that order , and send in attached documents containg the pictures of the speeds you have , as proof

if we irish p[eople wake up and start giving anyone who provides crap service aload of grief , they will change , and this includes government.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

I am on the Maynooth exchange, I have BT broadband with phone, I got the upgrade to 2down/256up in January and all was well for the first few days and then it was all over the place.
    I contacted Tec support last Tuesday and they got me to send them different screen shots of pings, download speeds and connections and they said they would look into it. I heard nothing back all week so I rang them yesterday and a Tec support guy tried to tell me that my speeds were right. After telling him that with broadband at this speed I would be better off on dialup he went of to ask someone else what to do, when he got back he said he was going to run a line test and would ring me back which he did to tell me that my line failed twice, he said eircom must have damaged the line when they were working on the upgrade.

So then I was transferred back to customer support to log a line fault with them. I was told it would take 24 to 48 hours to sort out, 24 have gone and still no joy yet:mad:

Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wolfy100

I had loads of trouble with my line (BT is my ISP) after the upgrade. The speed was good but I was being disconnected every 30 minutes, bit crap for gaming. Anyway, I go the brush off from tech support the first time and went mad in an email threatening to quit the service unless they sorted it out. I actually didn't expect anything to happen but I got a call from a really good tech support guy from BT who talked me through some troubleshooting. It turned out to be my modem, it seems it couldn't handle the extra noise on the line after the upgrade.

My advice to anyone having problems after the upgrade is to borrow a modem from a friend who isn't having trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

do you have the email address to use ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

zuma wrote:
    If the answer to achieve a stable connection is to downgrade then BT MUST do this downgrade for you for FREE!!!

Eircom have supplied BT with a list of those who 'should' or 'must' downgrade and who therefore will not be charged to so do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

still same problem now for over almost 3 weeks now i believe - upload still faster than download :(

really unhappy "upgraded" BT customer here as it was working fine at 2Mbit down and 128 up for 6 months prior to the "upgrade".

anyone else still in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

naitkris wrote:
    anyone else still in the same boat?

i am in the same boat.
    had 1MB broadband before upgrade and now have 2MB which seems to be continously slower.

PAIN IN THE ARSE IT IS

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm on the Blanchardstown exchange and BT upgraded me from 1mb to 2mb, and while the speeds are fine, I'm getting really fed up with the constant disconnections. Time for another call to them, methinks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Literally seconds after I posted the above my DSL connection went again. I've just got off the phone with the BT tech support guy, and really I have to wonder about them. He suggested that since the upgrade the signal may be too strong and because I'm not using the main phone connection into the house the extension I'm using may not be able to handle it. His suggestions to fix the problem were:

1. Disconnect the router from the socket I'm currently using (about 2 feet from my PC) and connect to the main socket (about 20-25 feet away, in an awkward position in a corner behind a bed). Apart from the fact that I don't have a cable that long handy right now, obviously I don't want to have cable trailing through the house. It's the main reason I put my PC where it is currently located.

2. Disconnect all phone sockets for about 15 minutes, which will apparently re-set the line. I'll give this a go later.

3. Downgrade to 1mb. What is the point in being given an upgrade if the only way to solve problems that it may be causing is to downgrade?

Advertisement