Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver Site Problems

Options
  • 06-02-2006 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Hi, as alot of you guys already know you can define a new site in dreamweaver.
    I'm having trouble setting it up properly. Basically it won't let me connect to the MYSQL database.

Here is a run down on the scenario. The following is the data i have inputted into the wizard for creating a new site.

Site Name : CMS
    Server Technology : PHP/MYSQL
    I am editing and testing locally
    The files are being stored in C:\IBserver\www\cms\
    The URL to the root of the site is http://localhost/
    i'm not using a remote server
    screen3oh.gif

The site i'm developing is located in C:\IBserver\www\cms as previously mentioned. I have created a db called blg_blog with 2 tables thru phpmyadmin. Using the wizard located in the application(s) field i entered the following data for the db.
    mysql0hl.gif

When i attempt to test this i get the following error
    error2xq.gif

any ideas. I have being messing around with the settings for the past hour and i haven't being able to get it to work. I did this tutorial about a week ago and everything worked fine.

Any help is much appricated. Thanks
    Rollo

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hand code your work - it will make it easier in the long term!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

tell me about it, but for this tutorial i need to follow this setup. It's a bit of a balls

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you connect to MySQL using those details?

no, i'm pretty sure the problem is with the new site configuration. I have never ventured down this route before tbh. (well besides from last week, i don't know whats different now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I presume that the servers test page is coming up if you enter localhost into a browser? Have you tried subbing the loopback IP instead of "localhost"?

• Advertisement

localhost is reading php pages
    loop back address makes no difference

the password i'm using btw, in case anyone asks is root@localhost. I remember using that last week when the setup worked. Password is required

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH not sure why you "have to" go about it this way. As posted earlier handcode it. Dreamweaver et el. can hide things from users they really should know how to do.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Can you connect manually to the MySQL DB?

i agree about the handcoding, i would much prefer to interact with the code rather than the library. This tutorial is fairly extensive with regards setting up a CMS, its pretty good. But of course the problem is the way it is delievered by means of using the lib.
    is_that_so wrote:

EDIT: Can you connect manually to the MySQL DB?

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

I THINK and im not 100% that IBserver has a default username and password of

username: username
    password: password

Why do you HAVE to have the setup with dreamweaver though? surely there is a way around it?

tutorial is 100% lib based not one peice of PHP is shown in the tutorial. It's a weird one alright. It's as much a tutorial on showing you how Dreamweaver works than a tutorial on a php cms. Silly tutorial people.

your wrong about the username and password suggestion btw, its root and generally if you leave password blank it works for local testing, i put in root@localhost anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

It's not weird at all.

READ the error messages, that's what they're for.

A 404 error means "file not found"... it has nothing to do with not being able to connect to a database. Line 2 of the error message says it can't find the file in localhost/_mmServerScripts. It's obviously looking in the wrong place as it's not picking up the your 'cms' folder.

If you want to learn how to script PHP, I would suggest using your own code snippets and learning from them, as a lot of Dreamweaver's code is bloated. The PHP documentation that comes with the package and online is a great resource: http://www.php.net/manual/en/

Don't bother with the dreamweaver built-in stuff if you actually want to learn anything.

Advertisement