Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*Vent* Bizarrie rules of the road.

Options
  • 06-02-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm driving along near the speed limit, although tbh I can't drive faster then the car in front of me and need to keep safe breaking distance.

So why the fuk does the car behind me feel the need drive right up my ass and then flash his lights. Does he expect me to drive into the ditch to let him pass or something?

I ended up slowing down, as he wasn't at a safe breaking distance and I didn't feel the need to have him rear end me, so he starts honking the horn at this stage.

Granted this was one fuktard but I rountinely come across an idiot like this who seems to think that driving right up your backside translates to move the fuk over. I wouldn't be moaning if I was doing something stupid like driving at 10kph or not driving close to the speed limit and no one in front of me.

erks the crap out of me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

What type of road was this on?

What really annoys me is when drivers sit in the overtaking lane of a motorway driving at maybe 100 - 120 kmph and wont move out of the way when someone wants to go past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I hate impatient people doing that, have got into the habit of hammering on the brakes for a sec to get them to back off

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

smarty wrote:

What really annoys me is when drivers sit in the overtaking lane of a motorway driving at maybe 100 - 120 kmph and wont move out of the way when someone wants to go past them.

i had this on sunday night, some fuk in a matiz sits in it and then decides to put their foot on the brakes to go behind a green van, and without an indicator.
    The person in the car beside me pulled a freaker at them for cutting in so sharply.

And what really gets me is when driving down the country roads at night, other drivers that have their full beams on when coming at you, i dont know wheather they forgot or just dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

smarty wrote:

In this case it was on a country road. However I have had the same on the motorway. Ok granted I understand your annoyance but I've had people up my ass in the right hand and I am unable to go faster then the car in front and I'm not able pull over to the left hand lane. One instance they actually looked like they were going to overtake me on the grass verge. Another, I am moving ahead to get good braking distance for the car behind before changing lanes when the car behind me shoots up, pulls in front of the car on the left (no brake distance), undertakes me then pulls in front of me without safe braking distance.

Normally I'd slow down to stop them going up my backside, but on the motorway you can't do this (I was taught to maintain the flow and do not distract anyone).

Actually people driving in the right hand lane like its a normal lane pisses me off too but not as much.

Meh, actually M50 in general pisses me off :) which is why I drive on off peak times on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Guilty.

I have had to "undertake" people on the M50 many times myself because they were doing about 80kmph and nothing in the overtaking lane ahead of their own car.

A swift look across usually verifies my suspicion. 9 times out of 10 they are just in la-la land and not even aware of the speed they're not doing, or the fact that they're holding up an entire lane for no reason.

Where's the Traffic Corps when ya need 'em?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Yesterday on the m50 at about half seven in the morning some asshole in an opel corsa was right behind me with his full beams on for about 20 mins of my journey, up until the toll. I was not in the overtaking lane and I was going with the general flow of the traffic at the time, basically I was holding no one up. He was really blinding me for about 20 mins. What can be done in this situation ? I turned my hazard lights on for about 3 seconds a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

pontovic wrote:
    Yesterday on the m50 at about half seven in the morning some asshole in an opel corsa was right behind me with his full beams on for about 20 mins of my journey, up until the toll. I was not in the overtaking lane and I was going with the general flow of the traffic at the time, basically I was holding no one up. He was really blinding me for about 20 mins. What can be done in this situation ? I turned my hazard lights on for about 3 seconds a couple of times.

Crap eh... you should have got out of your car at the toll and politely asked him to turn his lights off... Then quickly dive back into your car in case he retailiates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

pontovic wrote:

Flick the little plastic thingy on the bottom of your rear view mirror so the mirror moves and slighty faces up towards the roof of your car. You can still (kind of) see out the back, but the glare is cut out. This is the only solution I've found to f+ckwits that do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I was going to do that but I was driving my mothers 1990 Jap import mazda 323. great little car with the popup headlights, but it doesnt have that thingy on the mirror. It was like staring directly at the run while driving. He was a young lad too who must have been in his early twenties. I was nearly tempted to stop, go over to him, pull the keys from his ignition, and throw them over the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Hobbes wrote:
    I'm driving along near the speed limit, although tbh I can't drive faster then the car in front of me and need to keep safe breaking distance.

So why the fuk does the car behind me feel the need drive right up my ass and then flash his lights. Does he expect me to drive into the ditch to let him pass or something?

Whats worse is when you leave the recomended (and sometimes even shorter than recommended due to volume) distance and some pr1ck overtakes you and cuts your space down to nothing. I had this happen to me the other day over double white lines coming into a 50kmh zone ! pr1ck was gonig nowhere as the traffic all slows right down there anyway. infuriating. Must be said though, invariably D reg cars who cannot for the life of them drive normally when out of the comfort zone of the city.

FBP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hobbes wrote:
    *Vent* Bizarrie rules of the road.

shouldn't this thread be titled fuppwits on the road or something rather than bizarre rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

fatboypee wrote:
    Whats worse is when you leave the recomended (and sometimes even shorter than recommended due to volume) distance and some pr1ck overtakes you and cuts your space down to nothing. I had this happen to me the other day over double white lines coming into a 50kmh zone ! pr1ck was gonig nowhere as the traffic all slows right down there anyway. infuriating. Must be said though, invariably D reg cars who cannot for the life of them drive normally when out of the comfort zone of the city.

FBP.
    I'd say more than half the cars in Ireland are D registered. I doubt they're all born and bred dubs however ;) and most of 'em are well used to being outside the 'comfort zone' of the city. It's rural Ireland's great shame-the poor overtaking and resultant head on collisions are invariably caused by natives from places outside the big cities. Did you hear "a man from dublin was killed in an accident...." this weekend? No, nor I, all country drivers, as usual!

As for people blinding you from behind. Just put your fog lights on and hit the anti-glare switch on your mirror or failing that, just move your mirror for the duration. You don't have yo look behind you but the arsewit blinding you has to look at your glaring fog lights.

murphaph wrote:
    I'd say more than half the cars in Ireland are D registered. I doubt they're all born and bred dubs however ;) and most of 'em are well used to being outside the 'comfort zone' of the city. It's rural Ireland's great shame-the poor overtaking and resultant head on collisions are invariably caused by natives from places outside the big cities. Did you hear "a man from dublin was killed in an accident...." this weekend? No, nor I, all country drivers, as usual!

Whilst I cannot identify D reg drivers as Dubs the impatient raging and mad overtaking in my experience is predominantly carried out by persons driving new(ish) D registered cars. As I have cause to drive the N7 regularly and most of the incidents I have encountered occur on this road in the Dublin bound direction I am relatively certain that the nutty drivers who take risks are usually those who have a long way to go and no patience to get there, the contempt for country drivers obeying speed limits and road markings is pretty clear. As for the people killed, its not always the drivers of the offending car that end up on the slab now is it.

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I posted about a guy blinding me along the motorway with his one working headlight that was locked on full beam despite him being practically in my boot in the general purpose rant thread. Unfortunately my imported car doesn't have a rear foglight, but the folding mirrors came in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I drove from Sligo to Ballyshannon with a guy two feet from my bumber on the hard shoulder he dident pass when i moved in when he had the chance I was doing the limit the whole time slowed down he dident pass then when going into ballyshannon (20 miles on) he decieded to pass me on the inside when within the 30 zone. I taught it was a mate acting the bollocks but no idea who this f^&*er was. At some point he was on the inside and pulling up beside me again when i slowed up he would back off. The most annoying thing was I dident get the reg of the car :mad:

fatboypee wrote:
    Whilst I cannot identify D reg drivers as Dubs the impatient raging and mad overtaking in my experience is predominantly carried out by persons driving new(ish) D registered cars. As I have cause to drive the N7 regularly and most of the incidents I have encountered occur on this road in the Dublin bound direction I am relatively certain that the nutty drivers who take risks are usually those who have a long way to go and no patience to get there, the contempt for country drivers obeying speed limits and road markings is pretty clear. As for the people killed, its not always the drivers of the offending car that end up on the slab now is it.

FBP.
    Most company cars etc. are registered in Dublin, particularly if they're fleet cars and so on, so anybody can be driving a D reg and there are proportionately far more D reg cars than dubliners! Naturally if you are using the N7 corridor you are bound to find a lot of D reg cars as the largest city by far along it is Dublin. A sales rep born in Galway, living in Kildare and working for a company in Wicklow could very likely be driving a D reg motor. It is a very poor indication of where the driver is from, even if the vehicle is new.

If a new vehicle has a reg from any non-Dublin commuter belt county then it's more likely the car is being driven by a native of that county. I find urban drivers are used to lower speeds so are less inclined to speed as 100km/h feels plenty fast when you're used to crawling along the M50, whereas if you're used to driving the national roads at 100km/h, somebody in front travelling at just below that may feel interminably slow to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

D reg's are generally ok.

Watch out for TN or TS or even RN plates however :D If you approach any of these pay particular attention to tow hitches and/or flat caps.

If both are present I'd suggest pulling in and taking a break. Those drivers are positively dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

D reg's are generally ok.
    Aha ha ha ha ha
    stop man, your making my sides hurt

'D regs are ok'
    lolololol
    :D:D:D

murphaph wrote:
    Most company cars etc. are registered in Dublin, particularly if they're fleet cars and so on..............

I suppose a case in point is watching where the N7 goes thru Roscrea. The route is direct thru 3 or so roundabouts, the last of these branches off towards Birr, I used to have to travel back from the midlands on a Friday evening, you could bet your bottom dollar that up until that roundabout everything was dandy, after that roundabout and practically al lthe way home you would get a succession of tailgaiters, manic overtaking, scary fkin driving in general. Again, check out the N7 all along its route from Roscrea down-country on a sunday evening, utterly mad again. Indeed the best sight I ever saw, 3 cars ripping past me on the nenagh bypass, all three pulled in 1 mile ahead and done for speeding :D

I'm not saying its just D drivers, I'm merely making the point that the aggression I have witnessed is invariably from cars with D or it's environs.

As for the junction in my first post, the very same junction within a mile either side was the scene of 5 high speed crashes last year alone, 3 of them fatal. 100kmh in anyones language, regardless, is fast enough on rough surfaced,
    sh1tty little roads that serve this country as main arteries....

We'll agree to differ, but IMO it's not surprising that a lot of the dodgy incidents we witness are by D registered car drivers as quite simply, more cars are D registered than anywhere else, substantially more so in fact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement