Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Geography Course LC

• 06-02-2006 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey what does everyone think of the new Geography course for Leaving Cert?
    I think much of the textbook stuff will be okay with a bit of study plus the marking should be easier being the first year. But has anyone finished the fieldwork project. Ours is a total mess... Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

we havent started ours yet but i kinda nervous about it, our teacher doesnt even know how much its worth.. when we asked he said think 15-25%, not sure! lol.
    the course is alright in itself i think, we'll see after the mock results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

To clear it up for ya, the projects worth 20%
    Yeah, the mocks will reveal all. Uuumm, nervy times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah im in geography.... we went on our field trip last september rite after the summer holidays..all we had to wait for was the books to come in about two or three weeks ago and we wrote it all in..it was easy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cdak68

the project seems to me to be very poorly concieved. The fact that no-one knows what the hell we're supposed to be doing doesn't help...
    the course doesn't seem too bad to me - I get my mock on Wednesday but I doubt whether it will be indicative of the real paper considering there's only one sample paper for them to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

ya see my teacher is part of the 6-7 main examiners for geography and she sets the stnderds for lower level markers down the line so she has to know what is good and what isnt..so im grand i only have to do a few bar charts and maps ..all the writing is finished..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the new geography course is ridiculously easy to pass. i dunno about anyone else, but my mock was stupidly easy and i hadnt done a tap in it. having said that i probably got about 70%, you obviously gotta know your stuff to get an A but its soooo easy to bluff.

one of the questions in the short questions was ' name what provence belfast, cork, galway and dublin are in!! and it gave you a map of ireland with those cities on it!! That was worth 5% of the total marks!!!!!!!!!

5%

the new geography course is ridiculously easy to pass.

I would agree with you to some extent about the easiness of the course, but I think that might have something to do with the nature of the subject itself. Considering a lot of it is either fairly common knowledge or common sense it is relatively easy to bluff your way through.
    one of the questions in the short questions was ' name what provence belfast, cork, galway and dublin are in!! and it gave you a map of ireland with those cities on it!! That was worth 5% of the total marks!!!!!!!!!
    that question about the cities does sound ridiculous:rolleyes:
    what were the long questions like? did the rock cylcle come up for you? I presume it was somewhat similar to the department sample paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

cdak68 wrote:
    that question about the cities does sound ridiculous:rolleyes:
    what were the long questions like? did the rock cylcle come up for you? I presume it was somewhat similar to the department sample paper.

well you have to hand up the paper (which by the way had no area to write your name on it!!) so i dont remember too much. afaim the rock cycle did come up but there was sooo much choice i dont think anyone will have much difficulty.

i mean i got away without doing ANY country or region in detail (india, sweden etc..).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

we're doing our fieldwork after midterm

smemon wrote:
    there was sooo much choice i dont think anyone will have much difficulty.

Thanks. I'm not particularly bothered about geog anyway. Like you say, it's generally one of the easiest subjects to do imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement