Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

need help finding shelby cobra alternative.

Options
  • 07-02-2006 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm buying a car. It's my first.. as I'm 23, buying a cobra replica, I really wouldn't have the money to pay for the insurance, considering they are 440bhp :)

So far I've come up with an MG Midget. I would plan on removing the rubber bumper, attaching a rail and chrome bumper over it and then adding the double racing stripe to it. It won't be exact but it will be close and cheap.

Anyone else that can think of anything, I'd really appreciate it. I plan on buying within the next two weeks so I need as much help as possible. I've posted this in both car forums to try get the best responses in the least amount of time.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Budget = 7k max.

AC-Cobra-427_big.jpg

Kit cars/Replicas/Lookalikes.. Anything is favoured. 1.6L or under engine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just to show you the power of customisation, this will give you more of an idea of the Midget when finished so you can be a little bit creative. obviously I'll have a full windshield.. just an idea. :)

prattmg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

last time I checked you had to be 25 to be insured on a Kit Car here. That was about six months ago.

Anyway, What about a robin hood...

http://www.robinhoodsportscars.com/index.php

Cheap as chips, look good and simple mecanicals.

25 for a kit car? Can anyone confirm this? Also, I've seen those Robin Hoods before. They are very nice. Do they come with a hard top and also, anywhere that sells them prebuilt? I don't have the know-how to build a kit car I'm afraid.

you can buy em pre-built

Checkout here:

http://www.irishkitcarclub.com/

im 88.88% sure you have to be 25 and already have a policy with a daily driver car, ALA classic insurance.

Balls, I've dived head first into this one. What if I got the auld fella named driver on it and then got it insured with him as named driver? Sorry, I'm acomplete eejit when it comes to insurance.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    Balls, I've dived head first into this one. What if I got the auld fella named driver on it and then got it insured with him as named driver? Sorry, I'm acomplete eejit when it comes to insurance.

LOL, I did the same thing a year ago. I should have known better, but they are so cool.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get yourself one of these until you can get ths insurance. :D

kbannon wrote:
    Get yourself one of these until you can get ths insurance. :D

I have one :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A couple of thoughts:-

1/. At 23 insurance on a group 1 car will be expensive. Classic insurance is out since you don't own/use another car. Insuring a classic sports convertible will prove impossible I fear.

2/. A Cobra or replica will be a joy in fine weather, but as pain everyday. You'd need to garage it. I reckon as an occaisional use yoke it'd be ok, but not a daily driver.

Just my 5c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

you need to have own insurance and be 25 before e.g. Carole Nash will insure any classic car. However,

-you will not buy cobra replica for 7K
    -it's a kit car not classic car and Carole nash will not touch it .

only handfull of brokers will touch kitcars.

• Advertisement

A couple of thoughts:-

1/. At 23 insurance on a group 1 car will be expensive. Classic insurance is out since you don't own/use another car. Insuring a classic sports convertible will prove impossible I fear.

2/. A Cobra or replica will be a joy in fine weather, but as pain everyday. You'd need to garage it. I reckon as an occaisional use yoke it'd be ok, but not a daily driver.

Just my 5c worth.

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50838488&postcount=3

I'm pretty sure I can get insured on a standard classic car like a beetle or something similar. I like beetles but I really want a convertible. It leaves me with the option of putting my father down as named driver.. I still however have to look into this.
    -you will not buy cobra replica for 7K

Never said you could. I'm looking for something similar and there are alot of options for that 7k limit :) If I was 25, I'd venture getting a sumo cobra kit car.. Or something similar.. I've seen then for as low as 15K.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Standard classic car ins. requires you to own another "normal" car.

Ok guys.
    I can get insured on a standard classic car like a beetle at 23. Made a few calls today. Also, I have someone looking into putting my father as named driver on a kit car for me - They dropped me an email and said they'd email me again when they knew. I'll let you all know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Word of warning about the insurance, I know a guy who built his own cobra. Think his car is on a few of the sites mentioned above. But his insurance only allowed him 1500 miles a year. He did have a regular every day car but there was a restriction on the kit car.

Yeah, I'll wait til I'm 25 for a cobra kit car.. So far, I can get insured with a standard classic car. still waiting on that email though.. If I can use my father as name driver, my options are completely open. He's already said he would do it as he knows I'm not the type to go around and rip the road up.

Advertisement