Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with anti-social behaviour

Options
  • 07-02-2006 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

A regular lurker here, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to deal with anti-social behaviour in rented accomodation?

The situation is, I am the secretary of a Residents Association and we are plagued with tennants in a rented property. There are a range of problems, from petty vandalism, to burglary and general intimidation. The worst thing is, the scumbag is a 13 year old, well known to the Gardai.

So, what options have we? What steps can we take (baseball bats are not an option)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Annoy the bollix out of the landlord (provided he lives close to you) to the point where it's more worth his while to get rid of the tenants,than contuinally have residents knocking up to his house complaining about them.
    You need all the residents to work together on this one !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The landlord is really the best route. I don't think you need to annoy him too much most really don't want to be bothered but don't want their place wrecked.

I know of one persons dislike for a landlord meant he kept telling the police that the tenants were selling drugs so they raided the place over and over again. The tennats moved out but my friends was caught and "lost" 5 cars as result.

A troubling 13 year old might have a few things in their house they shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Contact your local sinn fein office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

We would dearly love to employ our local Sinn Fein, but we want to keep this above board.

I know the PRTB have a list of registered properties, but is there any way to get the address of the landlord from them? Or anywhere else?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

do you live next door to them?

when I moved into my new house I went next door to see if they would have any problem with me building a wall in the back garden, as the house was rented the tenants gave me his number...
    perhaps you could try that

If I were you I'd ring the landlord everytime there was trouble and I wouldn't care what time of the day or night it was

• Advertisement

Contact your local sinn fein office.

When he said baseball bats were not an option, I presume he meant hurleys too...

Beruthiel wrote:
    do you live next door to them?

If I were you I'd ring the landlord everytime there was trouble and I wouldn't care what time of the day or night it was

Excellent idea! Unfortunately, the house next door is rented too (different landlord) but I know the problem house landlord has other houses.

I like the idea of ringing. We have a group of us together - if we all rang when there was trouble, it would soon get the message.
    I was even at the stage of talking to the local shop owner who has had trouble with this person. If we get together some kind of petition, the more the merrier.

Anyone know what information the Gardai can release? They are only too familiar with the person in question, so do they as a rule give any kind of indication as to the amount of problems they have had with a person?

I am sure this kind of info would be difficult to get hold of outside of a court of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In some areas the Gardai have community liaison officers although they are thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

When he said baseball bats were not an option, I presume he meant hurleys too...

Get the Dublin / Tyrone teams to pay a visit. That will sort the issue out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Give me the address and €200. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A landlord is responsible (to the neighbours) for the behavior of his tenants.

Do I get the impression this is just a house in a housing estate, that there is no management company?

Is there any way of keeping the 13 year old gainfully occupied? ("Here's a playstation, I don't want to see you for 24 hours")
    riptide wrote:
    Give me the address and €200. :D
    Banned.

Victor wrote:
    A landlord is responsible (to the neighbours) for the behavior of his tenants.

Do I get the impression this is just a house in a housing estate, that there is no management company?

Yes, it is a private estate, with several houses rented out by one owner, so no management company.
    Victor wrote:
    Is there any way of keeping the 13 year old gainfully occupied?

He used to play soccer for the local club, but sadly seems to have lost interest.

As an update, I got onto the PTRB and they suggested putting in a written request to them (the PTRB) looking for the name/address of the landlord and giving our reasons for wanting to contact the landlord. Looks like they will give out this information in situations like this.

Advertisement