Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard & tiling

Options
  • 07-02-2006 1:31am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just about to start an ensuite.
    will be putting in a small partition with waterproof pb on the new section.

Can I tile onto the old plasterboard which is not waterproof but will be in the shower area.
    if it is ok -do I need to scrape/mark the emulsion to get a good grip.
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

karltimber wrote:
    Just about to start an ensuite.
    will be putting in a small partition with waterproof pb on the new section.

Can I tile onto the old plasterboard which is not waterproof but will be in the shower area.
    if it is ok -do I need to scrape/mark the emulsion to get a good grip.
    thx

My builder put Moistureboard in for my showers and ran the plaster up to the edge of the moistureboad, now this could be him being cheap but I tiled straight onto it without marking or scoring, as he recommeded and its worked out fine. No leaks (yet :D )

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Tiling directly onto plasterboard is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

fatboypee wrote:
    My builder put Moistureboard in for my showers and ran the plaster up to the edge of the moistureboad, now this could be him being cheap but I tiled straight onto it without marking or scoring, as he recommeded and its worked out fine. No leaks (yet :D )

FBP.

moistureboard? whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

moistureboard? whats that?

Water resistant plasterboard with foil backing. Designed for use in damp areas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

how about tiling onto pb that has been skimmed and painted with emulsion.

Does this need to be scraped/marked for to tile onto -or is it ok to tile straight onto the paint. The paint is in good condition -not flaky etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Karl,

Shouldn't be a problem if you are looking at fairly new walls because there will only be one or two coats of emulsion on it which is acting like a sealer on the plaster finish.

If you have any doubts you could use a course sand paper on the paint to break the seal and get a partial bond to the plaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭patryk221

Does anyone know what a job like that costs ? to remove tiles, Tile new tiles put a new Plaster board, put a new shower tray in and new shower door, anyone any idea how much will Labour for this cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

hi Karl, I got the ensuite tiled about 3 years ago and i was very fussy about not having a leak having just repaired the damage from one. The tiler painted the plasterboard with a product that was like a liquid rubber. He put masking tape on the tray so 5mm was exposed and it forms a seal between the tray and the wall. Its a two part product, expensive about €150 for a shower but its so waterproof that you could shower without the tiles. Cant remember what it was called.

Advertisement