Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theory on Locke *Do NOT open if you havent seen upto Season 2 Ep 12* .... *SPOILERS*

• 07-02-2006 7:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Big Spoilers upto Ep 212, Ahoy!

Ok - in short: who thinks Locke is in cahoots with the Others/Tallies?

I definitely saw something in his eyes when they had the confrontation recently

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

perhaps he recognised him from the images he saw in the monster just got a glimpse of the end of the series and I'd forgotten he already seen his version of what eko saw he could have had a preview of zeke...?

actually im more convince of this, everyone said locke gave a look to/at zeke didn't he do the same with to Eko, and Desmond he seen them before cos he's the only to face up to and see the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

-i would be surprized if locke was working with the others

-although its quite possible, he was certainly away from camp alot when he was hunting and working on the hatch.

-he was certainly not on the island already as we have seen his past.

-if you think about the episode where it shows analucia with the captured man who was trying to be one of them he seemed like a very religious person. when locke heard about the baptism of aaron he certainly was'nt on for it.

-by the way we have seen locke in the past he does'nt come across as the most religious person, however he has huge beliefs in fate (charlies finger bandages(stood out to me in episode 12 in his dream)) such as the hatch, the button, him saying dont tell me what i cant do, and him saying we are all here for a reason.

-we still dont know how he ended up in his wheelchair.

-he is certainly my favourite charachter because of his depth.

-in conclusion locke does seem to know alot more than everyone else about the island, although this could be down to his strong belief in fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I dont know if its just me but it seems like Lockes trying to keep Charlie away from Aaron. In Ep 12, Charlie is constantly trying to protect Aaron. Locke seems to know that Charlie knows something, and he keeps finding ways to stop Charlie from getting near Aaron(catching him with the statues of Mary). Charlie thinks Aaron is in danger; maybe the danger is something to do with Locke:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Maybe locke feels that his "dad" ****ed up his life and doesn't want charlie to do the same to Aaron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Franky Boy wrote:
    Maybe locke feels that his "dad" ****ed up his life and doesn't want charlie to do the same to Aaron.

That would make alot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Big Spoilers upto Ep 212, Ahoy!

Ok - in short: who thinks Locke is in cahoots with the Others/Tallies?

I definitely saw something in his eyes when they had the confrontation recently

He has been out into the jungle a lot by himself....but I think its more about what Locke knows and wants to control and it seems he's following some kind of plan in terms of the whole 'everything happens for a reason thing', by being Claires guardian he entrusting Claire to him and so if he needs to use Aaron as a pawn of some sort then he'll probably have Claires backing.......something like that I see happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Maybe he wants Charlie alone and isolated for a reason. Locke could now convince Charlie to do something dangerous to prove himself and get back in with the rest of the survivors.
    Claire now trusts Locke more than anyone to look after her and Aaron, so maybe she might go along with whatever plans the baldy wanker has. Locke might be planning to use Aaron as bait to lure the Others/French chick out of hiding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

charlie wanted to protect aaron... by baptising him... as all children are born with original sin, baptism would save him. which ties in with the good old purgatory arguement, which everyone still thinks is wrong.

however, with locke seemingly against the baptism and giving claire a crap explaination about what a baptism was... one must surely reconsider...

MAN OF FAITH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

We do know how Locke ended up in a wheel chair. It was after complications of giving up his liver or whatever to his father.

I think a lot of people see John Locke as a somewhat evil guy but I would tend to have to disagree. While I think he definitely hides his motives alot, I still believe they are generally for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Ivan wrote:
    We do know how Locke ended up in a wheel chair. It was after complications of giving up his liver or whatever to his father.

We dont know that for sure.

After seeing the end of 2x14 Im more sure than ever that Locke is in on "something" seperate from the rest of the group. Maybe the the Others and Dharma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Derek C.

Think back to the earliest episodes. Locke sits on the beach grining at the sky as it rains down on him as if he is happy to be alive from the plane crash.

In my opinion I don't think he is grinning because he is alive, or that he has his legs back. I think he had a hand in the plane crashing beside the island. I think he heard of the experiments goin on on this island and wanted desperatly to get there. I don't think he is in cahoots with the others but i do believe he knew they were coming to the island.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

Derek C. wrote:
    Think back to the earliest episodes. Locke sits on the beach grining at the sky as it rains down on him as if he is happy to be alive from the plane crash.

In my opinion I don't think he is grinning because he is alive, or that he has his legs back. I think he had a hand in the plane crashing beside the island. I think he heard of the experiments goin on on this island and wanted desperatly to get there. I don't think he is in cahoots with the others but i do believe he knew they were coming to the island.

VERY interesting!! never considered that! im a huge locke fan, but hane always believed hes not all good. hes out for his own best interests at the end of the day. he really has a few psychopathic tendencies and is playing the whole thing as a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Derek C. wrote:

I really like the sound of this. I mean a suitcase of knifes??? Who brings that many knifes on a plane? Maybe he was told that if he helped bring the plane to the island then he would be given the ability to walk again? (the experiments on the island might have given him this ability)

He brought the knifes as he knew he would need them for survival...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

This is probably totally unrelated but I just saw the title of the thread and thought this might be a suitable place to post this:
    John Locke (b. 1632, d. 1704) was a British philosopher, Oxford academic and medical researcher........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Derek C. wrote:

Now that I can dig... wouldn't curprise me. I love Locke, whereas I've grown to dislike alot of the other characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Derek C.

Another reason on Locke is this............

When Jack asks Charlie what he thinks of Locke very early on Charlie replies

"No offence but if there is one person on this Island I trust to save all of us, it's JOHN LOCKE."

If that isn't a blatent signpost saying "DON'T TRUST LOCKE" then I'd be shocked. The looks he gave everyone as they sat in his seat on the plane too suggests something more than just a man embarassed by his situation.

I suggest everyone watch the first few episodes again and I bet they have a lot of clues buried into meaningless conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

i too think that locke is happy to be alive.. and to have his legs back.. its not until he looks into the black smoke that he gets wierd.. going on to my dharma thread...

The word 'Buddha' means 'Awakened One'; someone who has awakened from the sleep of ignorance and who sees things as they really are. A Buddha is a person who has become completely free from all faults. There are many people who have become Buddhas in the past and many people who will become Buddhas in the future...

Derek C. wrote:
    Another reason on Locke is this............

When Jack asks Charlie what he thinks of Locke very early on Charlie replies

"No offence but if there is one person on this Island I trust to save all of us, it's JOHN LOCKE."

If that isn't a blatent signpost saying "DON'T TRUST LOCKE" then I'd be shocked. The looks he gave everyone as they sat in his seat on the plane too suggests something more than just a man embarassed by his situation.

Interesting observations there. I'll keep an eye out for them when I re-watch Season 1 in full in May (just before I watch the finale of Season 2 ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Derek C. wrote:

Nonsense. John Locke was on that plane because of the failed "Walkabout" trip. It's true that Locke is full of mystery but I can't see how he would've known about the plane crashing in advance.

Locke is definitely my favourite character but I think that something dramatic will happen soon that will change Locke into someone nasty and unpredictable.

deman wrote:

Locke is definitely my favourite character but I think that something dramatic will happen soon that will change Locke into someone nasty and unpredictable.
    If the rumour mill is true "something dramatic" will be happening in the next episode, apparently the hatch is going to turn on Locke

• Advertisement

Who was with Ethan the first time we meet him? Yup, Locke ;) They were hunting together

Ethan.jpg

I still havent come across a screencap of the "look" Locke gave but now that RTE viewers have caught up with us maybe they could give their thoughts.

I watched it again last night and saw the same "knowing" look between Locke and Zeke. Close to a smirk even.

Just had a look at it myself too. Couldn't see that look you're talking about. Just a look of someone trying to remain calm and collective. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Irish Spoiler(ish)--
    Maybe this is why Zeke has the beard to that the losties don't recognise him on their chance encounters.

We'll probably see a lot more off Zeke in flashbacks in the future. (flashbacks in the future!??! erm... well, you know what I mean, don't you?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Eh? Don't know why he'd do that.

Eh? Don't know why he'd do that.

Who and what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I've never bought into this 'look' that Locke supposedly gives Zeke either. I think it's imagined. He may appear calm and collected, but that's more to do with him wanting to use the opportunity to learn as much about the Others as possible, I reckon.

I dont think locke is with the others, but if he is he would have met up with them on the island. He was in a wheelchair lets not forget and he is on the flight for that very reason as he's leaving australia so i cant see how hbe would know the others

I dont think locke is with the others, but if he is he would have met up with them on the island. He was in a wheelchair lets not forget and he is on the flight for that very reason as he's leaving australia so i cant see how hbe would know the others

I dont think locke is with the others, but if he is he would have met up with them on the island. He was in a wheelchair lets not forget and he is on the flight for that very reason as he's leaving australia so i cant see how he would know the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

All right, all right, we believe you!

Ok so nearly one year on and I think (serious spoiler theory ahead)
    next Wednesday my theory will be proven right
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Ivan wrote:

How do you know this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Spiritus Mundi#

I think Locke is getting way too much heat on this forum...... i dont really buy in to the theory that he's an other - his overall mood in Season 1 was that of a man who had just experienced a miracle, regained his 'legs' and a new zest for life.

Also, even in recent episodes (including Ep.12), his actions have been way over-criticised. Those pylons could have been anything, how was he to know they would be a sophistaced killer sonic perimeter!! if Mikhail wouldnt tell them then it would def make more sense pushing him into it to find out, than do it themselves! The game of chess....ok he shouldnt have entered 77 but did he know that it would blow the house? doubt it.

By the rationale people are using here recently, why not say he's a total idiot for not pushing the button towards the end of Season 2? Or for pushing it in the 1st place? As for Mikhail he knew all their names and histories, i'm not even sure he will play any part in any future Locke flashbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hmmm...
    locke still freaks me out after that bit in season 1 where someone looks over at him and he just grins with the orange in his mouth...evil!
    perhaps he has desmonds premontionary powers? or he just hada dream of gettin on that flight and being able to walk again, and being the man of faith he is he just goes for it?
    maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

My opinion, which clicked with me when I watched Par Avion on RTE 2 last night. Lockes Walkabout and Mikhaeil's (Do you want to save the world advert) reason, are the same way they got on the island.I dunno if Locke knows yet tho that the Walkabout was an island trainging course. Thats why Mikhaeil said , the john Locke I know was par (alysed) He read his bio, because he contacted the outside world for new recruits.

• Advertisement

I think
    all will be revealed tonight/tomorrow. I think Locke will be revealed as an Other :eek:

Kanney wrote:
    My opinion, which clicked with me when I watched Par Avion on RTE 2 last night. Lockes Walkabout and Mikhaeil's (Do you want to save the world advert) reason, are the same way they got on the island.I dunno if Locke knows yet tho that the Walkabout was an island trainging course. Thats why Mikhaeil said , the john Locke I know was par (alysed) He read his bio, because he contacted the outside world for new recruits.

Thats a possibility that i never thought of. Even though they would not let him go on the walkabout he was still granted access to the Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Kanney wrote:
    Thats why Mikhaeil said , the john Locke I know was par (alysed) He read his bio, because he contacted the outside world for new recruits.

Mikhaeil knew about Locke in the same way that he knew about Kate and Sayid, people are reading too much into it. He referred to them by their full names, although very few people seem to have picked up on that, and are latching onto the fact that he was saying more to John.

As we saw from when Jack was in the tank, the others have large files on the Losties, THAT is how he knew John was paralyzed, and how he knew Kate's and Sayid's full names.

Mikhaeil knew about Locke in the same way that he knew about Kate and Sayid, people are reading too much into it. He referred to them by their full names, although very few people seem to have picked up on that, and are latching onto the fact that he was saying more to John.

As we saw from when Jack was in the tank, the others have large files on the Losties, THAT is how he knew John was paralyzed, and how he knew Kate's and Sayid's full names.

Aye, they do have access to extensive knowledge from the “outside” world. From the word go if I remember correctly, the others called the losties by their first names, which kinda freaked the losties out. One must think though, if you remember back to the ep where Locke is on the “Weed” farm to cops “CHOSE” him as the point of infiltration because Locke is somewhat gullible. I wonder is that the exact same reason the others have chosen him also. He seems to think the Island does things that directly relate to Locke himself. Locke puts to much into him faith and this sometimes blinds him from the actual truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Also Sayid said his full name when he was shot outside Patchy's house so it's a great mystery how he knew that.

• Advertisement

True, had forgotten that. But Kate never gave hers.

Ok so, there is a chain of command with the Others that we have seen on many occasions. I highly doubt that every member of the Others would have access to all the files on the losties. Mikhail seemed your average Other and yet he seemed to have detailed information on all of the losties that he met. I just find it strange that no matter what Other the losties meet, they all seem to have extensive knowledge of their past and super memories for all that info and names.

The Others also seem to hammer home the use of the losties REAL names as if trying to bring them back to reality. Like when you hear them call Sawyer “James” it just sounds wrong.

ok so
    the turn didnt happen by Locke last night but I believe we'll see it by the end of the season

ok so
    the turn didnt happen by Locke last night but I believe we'll see it by the end of the season

Hmm i still don't know mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Psycopat wrote:
    Locke - he is certainly my favourite charachter because of his depth.

Mine too, perhaps because he's an actor, as opposed to the other lightweights.

Compare Terry O'Quinn to the likes of Josh Holloway (Sawyer), who although very pretty, is better suited to modelling underpants. Likeable rogue as Sawyer is, there isn' t much in the way of depth.

hughchal wrote:

Compare Terry O'Quinn to the likes of Josh Holloway (Sawyer), who although very pretty, is better suited to modelling underpants. Likeable rogue as Sawyer is, there isn' t much in the way of depth.

Yeah exactly. Sawyer brings some laughs and fun to LOST but i don't think his char means much to LOST. Jack/John/Desmond bring something more to LOST and there stories have depth unlike alot of the other losties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

hughchal wrote:

Much the same reason why Ben is so brilliant I guess, I hear he is classically trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This thread makes no sense when one thinks back to the time Locke and Ben were alone in the hatch. Remember? When Locke was trapped under the door?

Remember how confused Locke was when he found out Ben wasn't Henry and when he wondered why he wasn't killed by him? Remember Ben telling Locke he had come to bring him to the other's camp? Remember Locke telling Ben that he doesn't know him? Remember Ben putting doubt in Locke's mind and telling him the button was worthless?

If there was a "turn" coming from Locke then all of the above would make no sense.

Locke is, in my opinion, the one guy that can be counted on. If a turn is on the horizon I would suspect it might be from Danielle.

Well put Mr.Nice Guy, and I'd agree with you 100% on that, but I can't see Danielle being an Other, as she looked genuinely emotional when she saw Alex. I'd say there is definately a lot more to Danielle, e.g. - she may be a Dharma member, but she's definately not one of the Others.

Well put Mr.Nice Guy, and I'd agree with you 100% on that, but I can't see Danielle being an Other, as she looked genuinely emotional when she saw Alex. I'd say there is definately a lot more to Danielle, e.g. - she may be a Dharma member, but she's definately not one of the Others.

Yeah i too feel that she is the last member of the Dharma Group. We will hopefully get a flashback from her past soon to see how she ended up on the Island and also how Ben managed to get her daughter. She always looks confused to me :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement