Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about stamp duty.

Options
  • 07-02-2006 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Several years ago we bought a site and built a house. After 3 years we sold the house and bought a new site. We did, of course, pay stamp duty on the purchase of the new site.

Firstly if we were to build our new house on this site would we be liable for any further stamp duty on the build? Secondly if we decided to sell the site and buy a second hand house (a newly constructed house) would we be liable for stamp duty? It would be in the price range of about 300K. I presume we would not qualify as first time buyers as we have already built a house.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

daveg wrote:
    Several years ago we bought a site and built a house. After 3 years we sold the house and bought a new site. We did, of course, pay stamp duty on the purchase of the new site.

Firstly if we were to build our new house on this site would we be liable for any further stamp duty on the build? Secondly if we decided to sell the site and buy a second hand house (a newly constructed house) would we be liable for stamp duty? It would be in the price range of about 300K. I presume we would not qualify as first time buyers as we have already built a house.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same question when I went to build, worried me a good bit at the time but no stamp duty is payable on the house you build only the site.

Not sure on the first time buyers, no harm in trying....:D

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Advertisement