Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Key

• 07-02-2006 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. moved into a new estate and my wireless card picked up 3 signals from eircom but they are passworded. is there some sort of standard password?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

blahblah06 wrote:
    Hi lads. moved into a new estate and my wireless card picked up 3 signals from eircom but they are passworded. is there some sort of standard password?

The encryption key is generated by the router or manually set by the user so it's not possible for you to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

damnit. do you know if i can track down the user so that i could ask could i share his access and go half on the bill ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

blahblah06 wrote:
    damnit. do you know if i can track down the user so that i could ask could i share his access and go half on the bill ?

Not really unless the router is named after him and then you happen to find out who he is. Other than that you'll have to knock around to houses guessing :)

damn it. looks like ill have to wait another while until our estate gets proper access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

blahblah06 wrote:
    Measure the signal strength at various locations around the area and triangulate to find the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

blahblah06 wrote:

By default the key is generated using the serial number of the eircom box. It would have to be someone pretty close to you so just asking the neighbours is your best bet of identifying the source of the signals.

I would be surprised if anyone would agree to share a connection with someone they don't know really well, they could be leaving themselves open to some serious trouble by donig so.

well all i would be looking for is to use it for online games. i dont know much about comps so dont think id be breaking into anything. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

you could hand-out leaflets and put your email address on them ;-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

On this topic.
    How can i ensure nobody is leeching from my connection?
    I have 3mb eircom line with their wireless router thingy.
    What do i need to change as i have heard many cases of guys leeching from neighbours etc.
    There are a host of options in the wireless section of my router browser page but im unsure what does what.
    At the moment im not using the wireless option but will be soon when i get a laptop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

blahblah06 wrote:
    damn it. looks like ill have to wait another while until our estate gets proper access

What can be the problem with 'proper access' if you are picking up three wireless signals and particularly as they are all Eircom ones which means dsl is enabled?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    What can be the problem with 'proper access' if you are picking up three wireless signals and particularly as they are all Eircom ones which means dsl is enabled?

theres no phone line set up on my street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dcully wrote:
    What do i need to change as i have heard many cases of guys leeching from neighbours etc.
    There are a host of options in the wireless section of my router browser page but im unsure what does what.
    Use WEP or WPA encryption of the signal, I can't remember which one I use, think it's WPA. With 128-bit encryption you'll get a password that is made of 13 hex pairs (26 characters in total). Set this up now over the wired link before you start using the wireless function. Wireless is probably enabled already so you should do this straight away to make sure nobody is leaching from you.

If you want to be really secure you can restrict connections to certain MAC addresses only, then list your Laptop, PC, etc as allowed.

so theres no way around my problem then ?

Which problem? That there's no phone line (call Eircom and ask for a line to be installed, problem solved), that you can't find the person with the wireless router (knock on some doors till you find them, but you could expect a frosty reception if a complete stranger came to my door looking to use my broadband), or you can't get their password?

jor el wrote:
    Which problem? That there's no phone line (call Eircom and ask for a line to be installed, problem solved), that you can't find the person with the wireless router (knock on some doors till you find them, but you could expect a frosty reception if a complete stranger came to my door looking to use my broadband), or you can't get their password?

well i did ring eircom before i got into the house and the eastae isnt wired yet so it would be hard to get a phone line in. ther emust be a way around this guys router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

blahblah06 wrote:
    well i did ring eircom before i got into the house and the eastae isnt wired yet so it would be hard to get a phone line in. ther emust be a way around this guys router

So you are asking us to help you break the law.....

Your options are:

1) Ask around and see if he will let you share.
    2) Get your own connection

The fact that he has a password means he does not want people leeching. Surely that is enough to deter you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

blahblah06 wrote:

If you can pick up the signal it must be pretty close , so how can the estate not be enabled ? , unless it is right next to an estate that is .

Plus wireless gaming isn't great and trying to do it through someone else's router , god knows how far away , would be worse .

Having said all that , you seem to be suggesting or asking for a way around this guys password ,if thats the case then thats just not right , and asking here is even worse .

there is 3 different signals. i would get my own connection if i coudl and i would ask them if i knew were they were

blahblah06 wrote:
    There are methods to crack the encryption on a Wireless router, but it's not easy, and I'm not going to tell you how. I tried on my own once to see how secure it was and couldn't get in.

Someone near by has an eircom router, you mentioned three of them in your first post, so obviously there are phone lines in the area. Could be the estate next door if it's very close, but wireless routers may have a range of only 100m or so, less through the concrete walls of two houses. They've got to be within a couple of houses of you.

Leaching off someone's broadband without their permission isn't right, it's also likely to be illegal (civil matter), and if I were the guy and I found out I'd do my best to upload the most malicious virus I could find onto your PC. Since you'd be connected to his LAN, it'd be a lot easier for him to get around Windows' miserable security features and do damage to your PC than it would be for you to crack the wireless encryption protocol in the first place. Just something to note should you ever consider doing this.
    i would ask them if i knew were they were
    But because you don't know where they are, you think it's OK to illegally leach off their (over-priced) paid for service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ah-well...

This is pretty stright forward. Just pay for you own BB like everyone else and if you can't get it, wait until you can? You've a very unusual reasoning for stealing this persons signal...

• Advertisement

As i said i have no problem paying for this broadband with who ever these guys are but dont know who they are. i wont be able to get broadband for a few months. I dont see why all of you are coming up high and mighty. i am sure you would be thinking the same thing if you were in my boat

blahblah06 wrote:
    As i said i have no problem paying for this broadband with who ever these guys are but dont know who they are. i wont be able to get broadband for a few months. I dont see why all of you are coming up high and mighty. i am sure you would be thinking the same thing if you were in my boat

Whoever owns this router has a password on it. That means they do not want people leeching. If it was unprotected then it would be their fault but you are talking about cracking and stealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Why don't you go for metro or clearwire or maybe even IBB (if they sort their sh1t out?)

Having a phone line is sooo last year.

Oh and by the way, only scumbags try to leech of a neighbours connection. The fact that you would a) pay him if you knew who it was or b) get you own if you could does not give you the right to leech.

MrP

ive tried all the wireless without the phone but no BODY is out my way. this is going around in circles.

blahblah06 wrote:
    ive tried all the wireless without the phone but no BODY is out my way. this is going around in circles.

Looks like you can't get broadband so.

thats my whole point of this thread

blahblah06 wrote:
    thats my whole point of this thread

No, you asked how to get it. You have now been told you can't until Ericon install it.

Paul your unreal do you really think i would say all this if i could get broadband. Oh and btw its Eircom and i never asked how do i get the broadband connected i was asking about a guys router. read the thread properly and you may understand.
    blahblah06 wrote:
    blahblah06 wrote:
    blahblah06 wrote:
    theres no phone line set up on my street
    blahblah06 wrote:
    well i did ring eircom before i got into the house and the eastae isnt wired yet so it would be hard to get a phone line in.
    blahblah06 wrote:
    there is 3 different signals. i would get my own connection if i could.
    blahblah06 wrote:
    As i said i have no problem paying for this broadband with who ever these guys are but dont know who they are. i wont be able to get broadband for a few months. I dont see why all of you are coming up high and mighty. i am sure you would be thinking the same thing if you were in my boat.

blahblah06 wrote:
    Paul your unreal do you really think i would say all this if i could get broadband. Oh and btw its Eircom and i never asked how do i get the broadband connected i was asking about a guys router. read the thread properly and you may understand.

And we have told you that you can't. Perhaps you should read the replies and see that people are not going to tell you how to illegally crack a router. There is no debate here. You (like many in Ireland) can not get broadband. Just because a neighbour has it, it does not give you any 'right' to his broadband. People have said try to find him, one person even recommended walking around with a laptop to try and trace the signal. What more do you want to know? As was said on the first few replies, unless you can find him (I reiterate, you were given tips on this) and he agrees to let you use his connection, you can't get broadband. END OF STORY.

I have grown tired of this. Unless you specifically refer to me I am not going to reply any more.

• Advertisement

LOL your still unreal. i said in previos posts i will gladly pay half the bill but my main question was about getting the password. i appreciate other ppls replies for helping me out but when someone like you who is a moaney git decides to make sarcastic comments just ruins the idea of this board. grow up and get lost stop stating the obvious comments, i know i cant get broadband myself so why keep mentioning it. as i said i would have mentioned anything about getting access to a router if i could have my own broadband and thats the end of the story. lets see if you can drop it. more then likely not cause ur prob looking for an arguement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement