Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees

Options
  • 07-02-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to plant some trees in my garden, to provide some privacy. I definitely don't want a total block.

My current thoughts are a mix of hazel & Rowan trees. 3 of each scattered around. I am looking for fairly well developed trees (terminology) maybe 6 to 8 feet tall. The seem really expensive in the few garden centres I've looked in.

I'd appreciate any feed back as good (cheap) places to buy such trees, preferably Dublin/Kildare. And any suggestions for other suitable trees.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

You could try coillte-nurseries.ie but I'm not sure they'd do tree's that big or in that small a quantity.

I believe there's also a couple of places in Aughrim, one's supposed to be cheaper than the other but not sure which one is which. Don't know whether that'll be near enough for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

You're leaving it a bit late to be planting trees - you'll have to move fast and get them in before the end of this month at the very latest.

I've used Future Forests in Cork and have recommended them to loads of people. They do bare-root trees of the size you're looking for, will deliver them for a small sum (usually around €10-€15) and have a huge range, and are way way cheaper than any garden centre pot-grown trees of that size.

Check out their website and/or give them a ring - they're v. helpful. And no, I don't have any connection with them!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Thanks for the replies:D

Has anyone used http://www.gardenworld.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

You could try coillte nurseries - nursery.sales@coillte.ie for a catalogue, they are selling bareroot 3 - 4 m trees for a fiver !. It's not too late to plant bareroot trees until the end of march, i've put them in as late as early april. just make sure they have supports and they are watered well - no fertilizer.. Remember that bareroot establish themselves faster than containerised stock... and would out grow a similar size containerised tree in 2 years or so

check out their containerised stock of hazel, spindle or holly pretty cheap and they are very helpful if you've queries

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Thanks all,
    I've emailed the 3 companies...
    www.futureforests.net futureforests@eircom.net
    www.garden.ie/index.html office@garden.ie
    www.coillte.ie nursery.sales@coillte.ie

I let you know what responses i get,
    Thanks for your help :D

Garden.ie just replied pointing me to...
    Woodstock Trees & Shrubs
    Matt Lohan
    Fintan Keane
    Dreenane, Derrinturn, Carbury, Co. Kildare
    T: +353 (0) 46 9553198
    F: +353 (0) 46 5953517
    Email: woodtrees@eircom.net

• Advertisement
Advertisement