Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs - which timber etc looks best?

Options
  • 07-02-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just about to order a stairs for our new build. The jury is out on what to order. Should we go for:

Red Oak
    Mahogany
    Combination of Mahogany or Oak steps, white risers, white spindles and mahogany bannister?
    Any other suggestions?

So many combinations to go for. We do think that white spindles look well.

Would welcome your suggestions or pics?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

we're probably going for
    cut string
    thick treads in walnut
    risers in white
    white balusters/spindles
    hand rail in walnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

We are having ours made in read oak.
    My in laws have white painted with mahogony handrail and that looks lovely too. Is getting the wlanut very expensive?
    Also I thought walnut was not suitable for high traffic areas as it marks so easily.
    It is by far my favourite wood, using it in a kitchen but never considered it for a stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i haven't priced it yet, but my dad will be making it, so what i save in labour can be put into materials.

american walnut is very soft for a hardwood, but brazillian walnut seems to be one of the hardest hardwoods (3 times as hard as oak) so i'll be looking for that.

either way, i don't think the stairs will be very highly trafficked - 4 people, 4 or 5 times a day is much lower traffic than the oak living room floor will get. well finished, and well looked after, it should last a lifetime. that's the theory anyway :)

I would love to see a stairs done in wlanut. Where did you get the idea from as I haven't seen it used anywhere before?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Walnut sounds fab Patrido. We are putting a walnut floor in our 'good' sitting room. Expensive but I think will be worth it. Haven't come across anyone making stairs using walnut. Thanks soledad for advice re mahogany. Patrido count yourself lucky to have your Dad to help. You just saved yourself at least five grand on the stairs alone!

Keep suggesions coming please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't know about the walnut flooring builderwoman, my mates have it in their new house and it is destroyed with scrapes and high heel marks. Very soft wood

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I've just order 200sqm of Ipe, which I believe is more commonly know as Brazilian walnut. It doesn't seem as dark as American walnut, but it is suppose to be three times harder. We put a clear varnish on the sample we got (this is sanded but not finished) and it came up a lovely dark colour.

I had my heart set on wlanut for our 'good room' but got put off it when I was told how easily it marks.
    We paid 10.000 euro for our stairs to be made in red oak, how much is it costing others to do this.
    This includes labour and material.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wow, is that how much stairs cost Soledad, must be a lovely finish though?

It isn't installed yet, he made my brother in laws stairs and did a fantastic job on that which is why we got him, the timber is making it expensive as we could have gotten a red deal stairs for 3,550 euro for the same design.
    But I liked the red oak......
    Hopefully it will be as wonderful as we think it will.

• Advertisement

Soeldad, just ordered red oak stairs (mainly because we are putting red oak on landing so it should match well). Have to say I think your price is very high. Ours is a large stairs 1100 wide and balustrade and spindles continue accoss the landing as we have a cathedral height hallway. Our price is just under 4500k. We think it's pretty good value for supply and fit. Ok it will need to be varnished but I'd guess yours will too. I think you need to shop around a bit.

Yop, we have bought the walnut for our good sittingroom. It's prefinished and seems to be good hardwearing. Getting it put down inthe next few weeks. As it won't be a high traffic area it should do the trick, hopefully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Brazilian Walnut is a beautiful timber, but is regarded as an unstable timber if used in areas that allows the timber to reach a moisture content of below 10%.

So make sure that your raw material has been properly kiln dried before use and installation in any stairs ect.

Take all necessary precautions when using Brazilian Walnut, as it is an extremely toxic timber to some folk, so beware. respiratory problems, dermatitis ect.

kadman:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

10000 yo yo's for a stairs, jaysus i'll have to start making them again, thats 20 grand a month.....whhhoooooppeeeeeeeeee..

Now wheres me business cards.... and the key to me workshop. Rooferpete can feck off and get himself a new cad tech for Rookad Enterprises:D :D:D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

10k is expensive for a stairs but that said it'd depend on how many spindles and newel posts there are and if there was a turn in the stairs as more newel posts are required and time also. When I was working for a carpenter that made them a good few of his were about €6-7k but alot had "rams horns" at the bottom which he had to buy because he didn't have the machinery at the time. The steps of the stairs were made from 2" and risers 1" He also used 45mm spindles compared to the usual 39mm as the look alot nicer.
    When I get my house, I'll be going for an Ash stairs Love the timber Hard wearing and good colour for hiding marks & scrapes.

There is a turn on the stairs and the spindles and hand rail go around a 18ft area on the landing.
    I cannot see how you could get the oak and make and install a quality stairs for 4500.....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Soeldad, just ordered red oak stairs Our price is just under 4500k.
    Just a question is there going to be red oak steps or is there going to be carpet laid on it?

Yes Red oak steps and risers. Solid red oak sheeting underneath the stairs. It was 300 euro less for red deal spindles instead of red oak. (We may paint them so it was an option). If we wanted a monkey's tail it would be an additional 300. Believe me you won't beat the quality or price from Stair case Manufacturers New Ross Co Wexford. They deliver and install nationwide and have been in business for over 10 years. No connection to the company just a satisfied customer.

I cannot believe it is so cheap. Do that company have a website to view their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Won't someone please think of the rainforests! :v:

I am not sure if they have a website soledad and I don't have their phone no with with so get their numbers from directory enquiries. They are called Staircase Manufacturers. They work nationwide. They are based in New Ross Co. Wexford. Do check them out you won't beat their prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement