Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

have a look and say what you think

• 07-02-2006 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Spent my christmas break messing round with a load of footage we filmed a few years ago when jackass and shows like it were popular, the drunken clips and our guitar jam section are probably the best but give it all a look if you have the time,

i only have pinnacle studio at the moment so the editing isnt the best but its our first creation so hopefully the next will be better,

the link is below anyway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Eh.... What Link?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

do you really want me to tell you what i think?
    i dont think you do.
    get over bam margera.
    ill post up a REAL skate video later..

but theres always room for improvement of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

ok but i will admit myself it was the cky videos that got us started so its only reasonable that we are going to draw inspiration from them, il take note though for volume 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Lump wrote:
    Eh.... What Link?

John

It's in his sig --
    http://www.revver.com/user/mccabehimself/

(note to bammccabe :: some people have these turned off).

Fairly uninspired stuff anyway. Sorry, but I'd be struggling to find the good points to any of it.

I'd say give 'volume 2' a rest for a while and learn how to use a camera. And come up with better ideas (or any ideas would be a start)... as it is I seriously doubt anyone but yourselves will want to watch it.

• Advertisement

points noted.
    goodshape good point because i have no opinion really because i find it funnier etc for different reasons,
    the whole idea of making it was just for a laugh amongst ourselves,
    we are actually planning smething more serious for next summer where we are going to make a film about a guy who starts his own magic murshroom dealing business in leitrim,

Ah right, sigs. I have them turned off ;)

I'll have a look now.

John

Not too impressed.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

bammccabe wrote:
    the whole idea of making it was just for a laugh amongst ourselves,

Fair enough. But you do realise that you're probably the only ones who will be amused by it then don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

bammccabe wrote:
    we are actually planning smething more serious for next summer where we are going to make a film about a guy who starts his own magic murshroom dealing business in leitrim,
    Well, I do wish you the best of luck. Everyone starts somewhere I suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 chipper

ye absolute rubbish, but like the fella says " you gota start somewhere" now you know what ****e is, your next will be better, just like Ed Wood Jnr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

chipper wrote:
    ye absolute rubbish, but like the fella says " you gota start somewhere" now you know what ****e is, your next will be better, just like Ed Wood Jnr.
    Want to try an be a bit more constructive with your criticisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

None of them videos are working for me but i think a know the type of thing they are. If you do things like this with a group of mates just show it to your mates no one else will find it funny. get over the whole jackass thing remember the warning at the start of the show and the disclaimer at the end yeah dont do it.

Here's an idea write a script and shoot a short film....then post it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

NOt impressed, but people see me as an artsy fartsy content sort of person.

trying to be constructive:

1. All you need for good visual editing is a basic editing program and some idea on the best points to cut. So dont blame editing program for any poor editing (such as in the first video)

2. Dont beat yourself over about the editing cause there are parts which are nuggets of some sense of structure such as in the hay jumping video you intercut other events for the purpose of information, keep that sort of cutting (without the text) when your doing a short film, they can really help in keeping the film interesting while filling in information.

3. Like everyone else has said, the type of film your going for is surprisingly difficult to pull off successfully. The majority of the work goes into the actions around the stunts and building up the appeal of the people doing them. You and your friends dont bring across any charm or humour, but that can be down to too much repetitive footage of stunts and not enough appeal between. OF course there has to be natural charisma there for it to work. So best bet is to drop the jackass theme alltogether (as you have said) and try for something requiring less natural talent for idiocy and humour.

if your thinking of doing something serious next summer, try and do something simple before then as practice. Try and shoot someone walking through a door and make it interesting. Will take you about 3 hours at most (Idea, shooting, editing). Try a few of these, and when it comes to making a longer (still keep it short 5-10 minutes at most) film you should have an idea on how your film should look.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

3. Like everyone else has said, the type of film your going for is surprisingly difficult to pull off successfully. The majority of the work goes into the actions around the stunts and building up the appeal of the people doing them. You and your friends dont bring across any charm or humour, but that can be down to too much repetitive footage of stunts and not enough appeal between. OF course there has to be natural charisma there for it to work. So best bet is to drop the jackass theme alltogether (as you have said) and try for something requiring less natural talent for idiocy and humour.

if your thinking of doing something serious next summer, try and do something simple before then as practice. Try and shoot someone walking through a door and make it interesting. Will take you about 3 hours at most (Idea, shooting, editing). Try a few of these, and when it comes to making a longer (still keep it short 5-10 minutes at most) film you should have an idea on how your film should look.

yea your totally right there even these things do need some sort of script,sometimes i dont know if i should plan how a piece will be edited before its filmed or work with what i have after it's done,guess like everything the best solution is a compromise of both

in one or two clips we did actually have a plan and worked with it and from feedback i got from friends that was the best stuff,so il definately take you up on your ideas and give them a go.

below is the clips from strandhill i was talking about incase you got bored before and missed them

http://www.revver.com/video/12307/

http://www.revver.com/video/12303/

please.please stop.
    and i stongly recommend for everyone to watch the last 10 seconds of the last of the 2clips he just stuck up..

Advertisement