Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing - The Idiots Guide

Options
  • 07-02-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Yo. I am looking into this affordable housing lark and I'm literally facing a brick wall. I have no idea where to start and any body I ask is giving me mixed info about shared ownership and affordable housing. Is it possible to do both?? Can anybody who succesfully navigated this maze please tell me where to start??

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

start by enquiring with your local council. check their website all the faq's will be on there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

All the details you need are on http://oasis.gov.ie or on your local council's website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

It is possible to do both. If you are awarded an affordable house, you can finance it through the shared ownership scheme.

get your skates on, closing date for South Dublin Co Co is this Friday. www.propertypath.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

Sarah, how do you mean the closing date is this Friday?

I thought it was an on-going permanent thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

It is an ongoing thing, but they have "rounds". If you missed this round for South Dublin, you may have to wait 6 months or more before the closing date for the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sheera

Ah, I see. Thanks:) I was getting worried for a minute there... I meant to apply but keep putting it on the long finger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Well, at last I almost have everything together for my applications. I sent off my DCC application yesterday and am just waiting for a bank statement to send with the other 2 (Fingal and SDCC)

I am not holding out much hope for DCC. I live outside the area , and from what I see that makes it hopeless. I also earn a mere 33k a year, so I don’t think I could afford "Affordable Housing"! I know myself that I could easily pay repayments of a €250k mortgage, but it wouldn’t fit in the "35% of Nett income" rule.

Some of the properties on SDCC's website (www.propertypath.ie) look very nice, but I think its out of date. I know for example that the properties they have in Lucan were built and finished a few months ago, so I imagine they are already gone. I took a drive out around Belfry in Tallaght (sorry, "Citywest" :D ) and Belgard Square last week. I'd certainly not say "no" to either of these - though I get the feeling I missed the boat on them.

Everyone tells me that Fingal are the easiest to get a place from. Although Balbriggan and Lusk are both nice towns, I just don’t think I would live that far out - where I work would mean at least 3 hours commute every day, and I just don’t think I could handle that long-term. They do have the odd property available in Dublin 15, Swords, Portmarnock, Baldoyle etc - but I'd say there are as hard to get as hens-teeth. There is talks of this whole Meakstown thing - I haven’t looked out there yet, but from what I read it sounds to be a Ghetto in the making - but maybe I am wrong.

So all I can do is sit-and-wait. If there is anyone else in the same boat, I would love to hear from them. Or if there is anyone in a more advanced stage than me. And of course I would be very happy to hear from anyone who already has a "Happy Ending"

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was told at my Fingal affordable interview recently that the only way to finance a place on the affordable housing scheme was through the big affordable loan with deposit and NOT shared ownership as the interviewer said they have stopped offering sh.ownship under the affordable housing scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

johnjay wrote:

There is talks of this whole Meakstown thing - I haven’t looked out there yet, but from what I read it sounds to be a Ghetto in the making - but maybe I am wrong.

J
    I bought one of the Meakstown ones on the affordable housing list and am delighted with it. I got a two-bed in Cityside with nice views for e149,500 and needed a 7,000 deposit, which I borrowed. In fact I think it's one of the least possible areas that is likely to be ghettoised. Capital appreciation of the private units there over the last 12 months has possibly been the best in the country at close to 50 per cent it's a good up and coming area. Two-beds in one scheme in the area for example which is next to halting site -- so prices are probably lower than they are in Cityside -- are now selling for e345,000. There is a small village centre next to the development Fingal is handling with a Eurospar supermarket, pub and a creche etc (some of which are still being built), there's a Dunnes Stores supermarket and 19 other shops being built at one end of the road and Ikea is planning to open close to the other, there's five bus routes into town (which take about 30 minutes to O'Connell Street), it's next to the M50, there's a Superquinn, Aldi, Lidl and 24 hour Tesco within walking distance and there's a possibility the metro could be within walking distance too. Best of all though, the shopping and amenity facilities - there's playgrounds, a park, playing pitches some open fields within a two minute walk - means it will be sustainable. It's places like Ashbourne etc that could suffer if interest rates continue to rise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jdivision wrote:
    I bought one of the Meakstown ones on the affordable housing list and am delighted with it. I got a two-bed in Cityside with nice views for e149,500 and needed a 7,000 deposit, which I borrowed.

Just curious, how long was the whole process for you?, ie between sending in your application and finally being offered and eventually getting the keys!

I've applied to SDCC and by all accounts its going to be a long long wait (if a crash doesnt happen in the interim and make general prices in some areas come down to affordable housing levals).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote:
    I bought one of the Meakstown ones on the affordable housing list and am delighted with it. I got a two-bed in Cityside with nice views for e149,500 and needed a 7,000 deposit, which I borrowed.

Thanks for the info J. I'll take a look out there in the next few days, and fingers crossed Fingal will come up trumps.

I have the same questions as Longfield!! How long did it take?

Well, I took a drive out around Meakstown this evening. Yeah, I am impressed with whats already built out there, it all looks very nice. Though I did notice a block built down at the end (close to the Ballymun end) which looks like its council owned (not as nice as the other estates, and all the "streets" were named with Corpo-Blue street name signs). Could this be a council-only developent with only Social and Affordable housing? It might explain why Fingal are advertising on their website that they have units "coming soon" in Meakstown....

I'd have no problems living in any of the regular blocks up there, but that one looked very dodgy...

Longfield wrote:
    Just curious, how long was the whole process for you?, ie between sending in your application and finally being offered and eventually getting the keys!

I've applied to SDCC and by all accounts its going to be a long long wait (if a crash doesnt happen in the interim and make general prices in some areas come down to affordable housing levals).
    Each area works differently but I was on list for about a year between getting on and getting keys but during that time I turned down four other places so could have had a place within five months. The time between going to see the apartments and getting keys was around four weeks

johnjay wrote:
    Well, I took a drive out around Meakstown this evening. Yeah, I am impressed with whats already built out there, it all looks very nice. Though I did notice a block built down at the end (close to the Ballymun end) which looks like its council owned (not as nice as the other estates, and all the "streets" were named with Corpo-Blue street name signs). Could this be a council-only developent with only Social and Affordable housing? It might explain why Fingal are advertising on their website that they have units "coming soon" in Meakstown....

I'd have no problems living in any of the regular blocks up there, but that one looked very dodgy...
    Em, don't know where you were looking but I suspect that's not where the units will be. They'll be between St Margaret's Road at one end and Jamestown Road roundabout next to the Parkview development at the other. I suspect they'll be the dark render and redbrick ones at the St Margarets Road end because the affordable ones on the other side (paler render, Butterly bricks) have already been allocated - I'm in there. If I'm right, my advice is not to take the top floor apartment - I'm in one of them and walk up stairs is a bit of a pain, there's no lift - and get one facing in the direction of the coast not because you'll have a view but the sun comes in that direction. If you want to pop out again to have another look at the scheme I'm talking about, take the Ashbourne Road past Finglas village, turn right at the roundabout at Lidl, then take a left at the next roundabout (almost immediately afterwards), go past Aldi and it's the new apartment/duplexes etc scheme at the next right. Roads are being upgraded at the moment so there's loads of roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jdivision wrote:
    Each area works differently but I was on list for about a year between getting on and getting keys but during that time I turned down four other places so could have had a place within five months. The time between going to see the apartments and getting keys was around four weeks

Didn't know you were able to turn down more than one without going to the bottom of the queue. Was there a big difference in the quality being offered? Fair play to you for sticking to your guns and waiting to get a place you want, rather than have, to move into. I'd be too afraid the next place I was offered was going to be a shoebox in a rough area, then again if there is no penalty for refusing the first couple of places offered than would be more choosy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

jdivision wrote:
    Em, don't know where you were looking but I suspect that's not where the units will be.

Thanks J

I think I was looking too far out - I was looking at a map last night, and I think were I was looking was actually Poppintree not Meakstown (it was down past the halting site)

I got a letter back from DCC today saying that I was on the Affordable Housing Panel, and gave me a Ref Number. I get a feeling that is the last I will here of it, and they will be off with my 50 quid! Ive never been very lucky when it came to Lotteries!

Longfield wrote:
    Didn't know you were able to turn down more than one without going to the bottom of the queue. Was there a big difference in the quality being offered? Fair play to you for sticking to your guns and waiting to get a place you want, rather than have, to move into. I'd be too afraid the next place I was offered was going to be a shoebox in a rough area, then again if there is no penalty for refusing the first couple of places offered than would be more choosy.
    In Fingal you can turn a place down with no penalty, in SDCC you get put to the bottom of the list. Other places were Lusk (two schemes but too far out), Rush, Mulhuddart (right next to where the Westies are from so no thanks) and Balbriggan (again too far out). Quality varied a bit, the first Lusk scheme was Lusk village which is a nice place but too far from train station (I can't drive) but other scheme there looked and felt like a subdivided house. Found out about problems in area around the Mulhuddart one so cancelled viewing (looked like a nice scheme though) and Balbriggan was a three-bed semi d but again too far out.

johnjay wrote:

I think I was looking too far out - I was looking at a map last night, and I think were I was looking was actually Poppintree not Meakstown (it was down past the halting site)
    Some will be around there I think but not in Poppintree. I think the next ones will be Hampton Wood (Dublin City Council area I think) and Cityside and Citygate (same design as Cityside but closer to M50, both in Fingal I think)
    You can see some details about Hampton Wood at:
    http://www.hamptonwood.com/overview.htm
    Citygate:
    http://www.hok.ie/residential/displaydublinnewhomes.aspx?prop_id=10005271
    Bear in mind though we don't get all the features

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

johnjay wrote:
    I got a letter back from DCC today saying that I was on the Affordable Housing Panel, and gave me a Ref Number. I get a feeling that is the last I will here of it, and they will be off with my 50 quid! Ive never been very lucky when it came to Lotteries!

You had to have your application for DCC in by 8th June to be included in this round (happening this week). Otherwise you don't get included until the next draw in 6 months time. So if you don't hear anything for a while, thats why!

jdivision wrote:
    Bear in mind though we don't get all the features

So what bits do they leave out for us?? Do we have to make do with a thatched roof and a bucket in the corner to pee into?? :D

Fingal are saying on their website that they will have places available in Swords - does anyone know where abouts? I'm guessing Goreshill near Feltrim as its the only big development going on near Swords at the moment, as far as I know...

• Advertisement

johnjay wrote:
    Fingal are saying on their website that they will have places available in Swords - does anyone know where abouts? I'm guessing Goreshill near Feltrim as its the only big development going on near Swords at the moment, as far as I know...
    Not at all but you don't get integrated appliances and flooring in the case of Cityside and the tiling isn't worth the mention - you have to take it down and get it retiled.

Ah, I wouldnt mind a bit of tiling or a few white goods.

Well, both of my applications to SDCC and Fingal should be at the bottom of a pile on someones desk by now. I guess all I can do is sit and wait. I think both have a 6 to 8 week backlog before they even get to look at your applicaton. I guess anything that is already built will be allocated by the time my name gets on the list - so anthing that I may be offered in the future might still be a green field at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Just wondering how many times you can turn down a property and will they keep sending out offers until you accept somewhere?

I will be looking for an appartment on the northside if that makes any difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

How do they decide on the merit of your application apart from your salary. Would a single person in their early 20's be put to the bottom of the pile in favour of a married couple with 2 kids?

Julesie wrote:
    How do they decide on the merit of your application apart from your salary. Would a single person in their early 20's be put to the bottom of the pile in favour of a married couple with 2 kids?

I hope not!

I'm single, 30!

It depends on the local authority, they have different rules.
    With DCC its just a lottery.

Julesie wrote:
    Not in Fingal, it's first come first served

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jdivision wrote:
    Not in Fingal, it's first come first served

And only if you can afford it as i was told at interview. If you can't afford it, its pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dublin15

Has anybody recently purchased a house through the affordable housing scheme in fingal??What are the steps involved?How long does the whole process take??Where were you offered?

Advertisement