Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki Swift Vs VW Polo

Options
  • 07-02-2006 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

My sister is buying a new car and is torn between the Swift and the Polo. Polo was her first choice until she saw the swift and loved it! It gets great reviews as well.

Any advice? Particularly like to hear from owners of the new Swift. What do you think of it? Safety is a major priority as we've had a horrific crash in the family in the past. How is the safety of the new Swift compared to the Polo?

Is she mad to even consider it next to the Polo? What is the resale value of the new swift likely to be like? I know the Polos hold thier value but I also know from my own experience with VW dealers that you get completely ripped off with servicing and repairs so it's a false pro if you ask me.

Basically the main worry is that the suzuki will be hated by people and she will have trouble getting a decent price when she goes to resell it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I had a 97 polo for a while and I liked it, but it had no power steering, or no other obvious safety features like ABS brakes. I would go for the swift. What year are these cars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

She's looking at brand new for both of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New Swift gets rave reviews, but i'd be concerned about it's residual values.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

New Swift gets rave reviews, but i'd be concerned about it's residual values.

I think that's always been a problem with Suzuki's. Personally I think it's a great looking little motor.

Here's one of the reviews anyway:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=1374

and here's the part about the safety:
    Swift has already earned a four-star rating from Euro NCAP, which puts it with some of the best superminis in the class. Standard safety equipment includes driver, passenger, side and curtain airbags, ABS with emergency brakeforce distribution, ISOFIX child seat mounting points and three-point seatbelts for all passengers. Security is taken care of with an immobiliser, remote central locking, a visible VIN and deadlocks. GLX models have remote central locking.

There's no shortage of great reviews. I've yet to find a bad one.

So basically the only bad thing people can say about it is that its a Suzuki Swift. A bit like the way people talk about the Skoda. Any Suzuki Swift drivers out there who can give their 2c?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are both busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Polo should have good residual values, but they're about as exciting as a colostomy bag, try the new Yaris?

06yaris01.jpg

solid residual values, and a nice drive

colm_mcm wrote:
    Polo should have good residual values, but they're about as exciting as a colostomy bag, try the new Yaris?

06yaris01.jpg

solid residual values, and a nice drive

Agreed. Nice little motas.

Polo GTI was exciting, but rare and pricey too.

She test drove the Yaris and wasn't impressed. She could only afford the 1L and it struggles up hills. The digital instruments were off putting as well. Good car though in the 1.3L.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yaris is nice, interior is spacy and well put together, an improvement on the old one, haven't been in a swift, but small cars, no matter how good an NCAP score they have are not thr place to look if safety is your main priority.

The Fiesta has been getting some terrible driver reviews lately so best avioded, but why not a Fabia, the Polo is just too overpriced and if you're not a badge snob this is probably the best idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Swift is a better car than the Polo - by some way. Apart from the fact that some effort has been put into making the car distinctive/pleasing on the eye, the engines, build quality, ride and packaging are better than the Polo.

Gegerty wrote:
    She test drove the Yaris and wasn't impressed. She could only afford the 1L and it struggles up hills. The digital instruments were off putting as well. Good car though in the 1.3L.

the 1.3 is only €600 more than the 1.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

If its safety she wants she should have a look at the new Punto Grande. Its won safety car of the year. Just got one myself and im amazed to see what comes as standard in it compared to the Polo (I was thinking of the polo myself). Its cheaper and its a nice roomy car. :D

sandyg wrote:
    If its safety she wants she should have a look at the new Punto Grande. Its won safety car of the year. Just got one myself and im amazed to see what comes as standard in it compared to the Polo (I was thinking of the polo myself). Its cheaper and its a nice roomy car. :D

My Yaris has 9 airbags, Think the Punto beat it by one point on pedestrian safety the only problem I'd have with the Punto (apart from the whole reliability thing) is the resale value. all previous Puntos depreciate heavily

She's going for the Swift. She test drove it and says its great to drive. Safety is good enough I suppose with 4 stars, although there is better like the punto. Thing is she's selling a punto and doesn't want the same car again, even though the grande is alot different. As someone mentioned above, in a small car safety is always going to be an issue. I think the Polo has had its day tbh, there are far better alternatives. Swift looks like one for the future if you ask me.

4 star safety rating would put me off, there were small cars getting that 7 years ago.

Advertisement