Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Short Films - Festivals

• 07-02-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hiya

Just completed a short and want to submit it to festivals.

Might be an idea to sticky a list on this board?

I can start the ball rolling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

i second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I second it also (or third it - ah you know what I mean)

If possible up-to-date links should be included. It's amazing how many film festivals just leave their sites announcing the deadline etc. for last year's festival until a few month's before the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. A sticky is no problem.

Feel free to start suggesting festivals and I'll tidy it up later and make a sticky out of it.

I've also suggested to Papa Smut that we might show some short films made by boards.ie members at the Open Mic Night that he is planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

yo whats the story with this list?
    afraid of missing some of the early festivals..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well Darklight is the big one.

And you still have plenty of time to get something in.

More info in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873541

If anyone knows of other film festivals in Ireland then PM me the details and I'll make a nice sticky at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

OK the major Irish ones:

Cork (show loads of shorts)
    Galway (show loads of shorts)
    Kerry Short Film Festival (Oscar Qualification Fest)
    Dublin (only shows shorts already successful)
    Belfast
    Foyle (Oscar Qualification Fest)
    Dublin Gay & Lesbian (busiest weekend in Irish Film Institute!!)

The "BIG" A-List international fests:

Cannes (inc "In Competition", "Director's Fortnight" & "Critic's Week)
    Berlin (inc "In Competition" & "Panorama")
    Venice
    Sundance
    Toronto
    Edinburgh (to a lesser extent)
    (if you get into the "Offical Selection, In Competition" to any of the biggie international the odds are that the Irish Film Board will fund a blow-up to 35mm for you!!).

Other favorites:

Aspen Shortsfest - in Aspen Colorado, they fly you over and put you up in great surroundings -you get to spend the week with some great people and watch the best selected shorts in the world!!

Clermont-Ferrand - in France, again they fund alot of your trip, its worth it to see 4,000 people queueing at 9am to go see shorts!

Sao Paulo Shorts Fest - because its in Brazil!! The people are great.

Other things -

Most of the A-List fests look for world premieres on the face of it, but will nearly always ignore that rule of the short has played a couple of small fests.

If your short gets into a few fests start asking the organisers to waive the entry fee, they usually will!

If you get loads of rejections don't give up hope - it takes about 6 months of fest entering before you get an idea if the short has legs. That being said if you've entered all the Irish fests and been rejected from them all the odds are your film is a dog and maybe you should make a better one :)

Hope this helps!

Advertisement