Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Strange Cat !

Options
  • 07-02-2006 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a cat nearly 3 years old. We just moved into a new house which was a bit mad for her as she loved our old place but now has settled in well here and has a park to go play in even if she does have to cross a road :(

We have kitty litter in the house as most times she sleeps at night in the house and in the day disappears until we come home from work. She uses the litter quite regulary so thought nothing of it.

Anyway I was shaving away in the bathroom and and she is dead nosey she came in to watch as usual and got into the bath as she like to drink the drips from the tap :confused: :eek: but thats not the problem. I turned to see what she was up to and she was peeing down the plughole !!!!:confused:

I stood there in shock more then anything else and when she finished she tried to cover it !! Let it go this time as maybe a once off but now I have caught her at it again. Should I try stop it or is it doing no harm.

I am confused :o:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have a 4 year old cat that does it in the downstairs loo........gave up trying to stop her so just pour bleach down it now.......but have heard of a few cats who will do it and also use the bath plug

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Proof if ever needed that cats are evolving way quicker than dogs!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Whats the harm?? Better than peeing on a bed! its easy to clean I'd be happy if my lot did that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'd love if mine did that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nala wrote:
    I'd love if mine did that!
    Me too!! I've been banned from teaching kitty-o-shea to use the loo thou. "It's bad enough waiting to get into the bathroom in this house as it is, let alone waiting for the cat to come out" :D :rolleyes: :D
    OP if you want to stop them using the bath as a loo put in the plug and put an inch or two of water in to cover the bottomt - they don't like getting their paws wet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Keating

My cat did this in the kitchen sink!! I had to buy a cover for the sink to stop him doing it. He wasn't pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

Cats wee in the sink because it is shaped for their convenience no pun intended and no matter how clean your drains are it smells attractive to a cat.
    Easy way to stop a cat weeing in the sink fill it up with water.

Would be more concerned about it crossing a road to play in the park, with 1 in 4 Irish cats falling foul to RTA's she obviously has a 1 in 4 chance of making it home alive not great odds for a cat.
    Claire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

ciaran76 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have a cat nearly 3 years old. We just moved into a new house which was a bit mad for her as she loved our old place but now has settled in well here and has a park to go play in even if she does have to cross a road :(

We have kitty litter in the house as most times she sleeps at night in the house and in the day disappears until we come home from work. She uses the litter quite regulary so thought nothing of it.

Anyway I was shaving away in the bathroom and and she is dead nosey she came in to watch as usual and got into the bath as she like to drink the drips from the tap :confused: :eek: but thats not the problem. I turned to see what she was up to and she was peeing down the plughole !!!!:confused:

I stood there in shock more then anything else and when she finished she tried to cover it !! Let it go this time as maybe a once off but now I have caught her at it again. Should I try stop it or is it doing no harm.

I am confused :o:confused:

I have a six month old cat that does this as well - only he craps in the hand basin and pees in the bath. As a result of this behaviour the bathroom door is kept permanently closed. Don't know where he got this habit from but he seems incapable (or unwilling) to change. I know when my housemate leaves her bedroom door open he will slip through into the en-suite and pee in the shower there too. Strange behaviour indeed...

Mind you, this cat also spends heaps of time outside but always comes in to use the litterbox - he won't go to the loo outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My 6 month old Poos sometimes on the kitchen floor. she has done it in the bath (keep door closed now) and kitchen sink (keep full of dirty plates now :D).
    Anyway point is she likes smooth surfaces. She uses her litter box to pee all the time. and i would say mostly to poo.
    Problem is she does not understand the concept of covering up unlike her mother who is grand.. So it seems once she has used it, until i come home and take out the poo she will use the floor.. sometimes even if its brand new unused litter.. she just decides she does not want to walk to the litter box.

The other night i poured Jif lemon juice in the usual tile areas she poos in.. she did not poo there.. instead she used her box but ALSO did a poo in the area i did not pour the lemon :D

By the way i have tried every form of litter on the market.. makes no difference.. hell i have posted this before and even though i say so people still suggest i change the litter? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Saruman wrote:
    My 6 month old Poos sometimes on the kitchen floor. she has done it in the bath (keep door closed now) and kitchen sink (keep full of dirty plates now :D).
    Anyway point is she likes smooth surfaces. She uses her litter box to pee all the time. and i would say mostly to poo.
    Problem is she does not understand the concept of covering up unlike her mother who is grand.. So it seems once she has used it, until i come home and take out the poo she will use the floor.. sometimes even if its brand new unused litter.. she just decides she does not want to walk to the litter box.

The other night i poured Jif lemon juice in the usual tile areas she poos in.. she did not poo there.. instead she used her box but ALSO did a poo in the area i did not pour the lemon :D

By the way i have tried every form of litter on the market.. makes no difference.. hell i have posted this before and even though i say so people still suggest i change the litter? :D

Cat San(d) works the best for our moggies - is very expensive though at over €6 for a packet. One packet lasts just on a week in our house (I gather it is meant to last longer) but at least there is no smell and it is very very easy to clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I use the wood pellet stuff you get in a giant 20kg bag in Atlantic. Its €20 for the bag. much more expensive than ordinary litter but again it keeps away the smell and is eco friendly so you can burn it, compost it, stick in garden etc... oh and its much lighter than clay so you can bin it without having a tonne of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

CookieCat wrote:
    Would be more concerned about it crossing a road to play in the park, with 1 in 4 Irish cats falling foul to RTA's she obviously has a 1 in 4 chance of making it home alive not great odds for a cat.
    Claire.

totally agreement from me on the crossing the road point!

a number of foster kittens & cats that I have had use plug holes as loos in either the sink or the bath - it's common enough behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

Jeez, I'd give anything for our two to do that in the bath ! all they ever seem to do is treat it as a giant playground & roll over & over in it !! if I put the tap on it only makes them more excited unless I put it on full then they scram sharpish !!

One of the cats seems fascinated by the shower, too, if we turn it on he'll investigate it very carefully & doesn't seem to mind getting a bit wet, very comical watching him try to work out why he's wet !!

Advertisement