Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you stand on the Muslim cartoon issue?

Options
  • 07-02-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Quick poll I suppose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

wheres the pole?:D

im on the fence i must say, people who use the buddy christ excuse that we make fun of our own faith, well we didn't exactly put a bomb in christs hand..... but we did do it to mohamed, the cartoons depict a violent faith, and you may sit back and say thats not true and we know it isnt, but there are others who do think it is, and these cartoons are going to add to it...

but then again theres no excuse for the reactions that some of the muslim community are giving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Whilst I agree that the cartoons were in bad taste, I also think that the Muslim reaction has been excessive and uneccesary.

If they react like this to a cartoon can you really hope for a rational response to more serious/controversial issues? (and yes I know how these cartoons contravene a sacred injunction on visual depictions of the prophet, etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, from My siggie you can probably guess where I stand, but I'll say this much: the cartoons didn't hurt anyone, they voilated no-ones rights, in fact they seemingly were forgotten about having been published in the middle of last year and this crap didn't start seriously until a few days ago.

So some people were offended - big f*cking deal. We have a culture in this society, that of free expression, that I or anyone else, have an inaliable right to say just about anything we damn well please, without regard to what hypersensitive hypocrites will be offended.

I've listened to people running down the Irish, "experts" saying blue-eyed people are genetically inferior ... not much else but you get the idea. Someone might be an ignorant f***s but they have a right to say their piece and this is a red line, which we cannot allow ANYONE to cross no matter how much they bomb our subways, burn our flags etc.

Anyone who comes to a democratic EU country and cannot accept this, should seriously consider going back to wherever they came from.

Arab media has no problem writing/drawing similar and worse about Western people, Jews etc. We probably don't know the half of it.

However I fear that if we do not act now to show solidarity with the Danes, we could have Islamo-fascist PC police over here taking out fatwas on anyone who opens their mouths.

I urge everyone to go to http://www.supportdenmark.com/ and take a picture for your website, sig, avatars, blogs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

SeanW wrote:
    I urge everyone to go to http://www.supportdenmark.com/ and take a picture for your website, sig, avatars, blogs etc.
    As do I.

RobEire wrote:
    Whilst I agree that the cartoons were in bad taste, I also think that the Muslim reaction has been excessive and uneccesary.

If they react like this to a cartoon can you really hope for a rational response to more serious/controversial issues? (and yes I know how these cartoons contravene a sacred injunction on visual depictions of the prophet, etc etc)
    Thats my thinking.
    I dont blame people for thinking that these people are stone mad to react in the way that they have done.

I also tend to wonder when mobs get together like this supposedly to well mob against the cartoon on religous grounds,how many of them are sticking strictly on a personal level to their religion.
    I'd wager some if not many arent when they can get away with it-human nature being human nature

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I agree with what Seanw said.
    We live in a democratic society with free expression speech, we don't live in a repressive one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But where's the poll?

Anyway I'm going to integrate that banner into my sig so that where I stand.

I had to laugh this morning, the guy who dressed up as a suicide bomber was ID'd and is a convicted crack cocaine merchant. What does the Koran have to say about selling drugs I wonder.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They see something wrong with us slagging off their god, but see nothing wrong with killing people who call their religon violent, or killing lots of people in the name of their "peacefull" religon...:rolleyes:

Muslim cartons?

I'm sticking with Tetra Pak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Muslim cartons?

I'm sticking with Tetra Pak.
    :D
    but seriously I agree with everyone else here:the cartoons were in bad taste but the reaction has been really excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

SeanW wrote:
    Well, from My siggie you can probably guess where I stand, but I'll say this much: the cartoons didn't hurt anyone, they voilated no-ones rights, in fact they seemingly were forgotten about having been published in the middle of last year and this crap didn't start seriously until a few days ago.

So some people were offended - big f*cking deal. We have a culture in this society, that of free expression, that I or anyone else, have an inaliable right to say just about anything we damn well please, without regard to what hypersensitive hypocrites will be offended.

I've listened to people running down the Irish, "experts" saying blue-eyed people are genetically inferior ... not much else but you get the idea. Someone might be an ignorant f***s but they have a right to say their piece and this is a red line, which we cannot allow ANYONE to cross no matter how much they bomb our subways, burn our flags etc.

Anyone who comes to a democratic EU country and cannot accept this, should seriously consider going back to wherever they came from.

Arab media has no problem writing/drawing similar and worse about Western people, Jews etc. We probably don't know the half of it.

However I fear that if we do not act now to show solidarity with the Danes, we could have Islamo-fascist PC police over here taking out fatwas on anyone who opens their mouths.

Very well said. Muslims have merely Polarised Western opinion about them and confirmed everyone's worst suspicions.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Its not the fact that the picture was there that offends me its the fact that it portrayed Mohammed with a bomb on his head. I am with the Muslims on this one because I believe their Messiah deserves some respect. You also have to realise that this is 1.3 billion people we are talking about here. But their reaction was also unacceptable. You have to remember its against the Quran for faithful Muslims to depict Mohammed, they must feel damn bitter that some non believers of Islam have just done that thing that is sacred to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

The cartoon was in bad taste, yes. But the reaction and boycotting a whole nation's produce because of a few people is a little OTT don't you think?

They don't want us to see their religion as violent, yet they have no problem burning down a whole Danish immigration building, this smacks hard of hyprocrisy... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

SeanW wrote:
    but I'll say this much: the cartoons didn't hurt anyone, they voilated no-ones rights, in fact they seemingly were forgotten about having been published in the middle of last year and this crap didn't start seriously until a few days ago.

Oh jeez did we have to open yet another thread on this.

first up last time I checked the EU had a law on Religous hatred or promoting the intolerance of other peoples religon.

Second it wasn't forgotten about at all. This argument has been ongoing since September and has only come to a head now. If the press hadn't of been a pack of idiots and posted the cartoons after knowing that it offended muslims we wouldn't have this mess.

Third, anyone spouting "freedom of speech" is spouting bollox. The same paper refused to print offensive cartoons of Jesus (which btw in case you didn't know is also offensive to muslims), but also a guy in Holland faces jail time today for creating a cartoon about Holocaust denial in response to this mess.

So anyone going on about how the media was hard done by is clearly misguided.

Yes we have idiots rioting as well, but they don't reflect the majority of Muslims. Do you see any rioting going on in Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm with the Norwegian Foreign Minister:

"We regret that the cartoons were published, but still, we have in this country freedom of expression"

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's interesting to hear people defending free speech cos it's 'only' muslims that are being insulted.

Would people be defending 'free speech' (whatever the fck it is) if they printed cartoons taking the piss out of the Holocaust? Sure in some European countries denying it is against the law. So much for free speech...

Plus why did certain newspapers reprint the cartoons so many months later. I smell an agenda here.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Would people be defending 'free speech' (whatever the fck it is) if they printed cartoons taking the piss out of the Holocaust? Sure in some European countries denying it is against the law. So much for free speech...

What complete and utter twaddle! It's against the law to deny it......BECAUSE IT HAPPENED.....and so as to ensure it doesn't happen again. Trying to appease fanatics is the same as trying to appease Hitler in the 30s - what you get is 'I hear you but I'm not listening'. Have we learned nothing from history? Well I suppose we have - don't trust despots/tyrannical regimes/regimes hiding behind religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I think Fintan O Toole summed it up particularly well in todays Irish Times saying that people in communities and races that are feeling marginilised become very sensitive and can be insulted easily. He says that if someone had depicted us as drunks in a similar situation twenty years ago, we would have been outraged. However, this does not excuse the reaction of some sectors of the Islam community who have exploited the situation to air their extremist views.

Freddie59 wrote:
    What complete and utter twaddle! It's against the law to deny it......BECAUSE IT HAPPENED.....

Your just over-reacting :v: , if you believe in freedom of speech then you shouldn't have an issue about it right.

Hobbes wrote:
    Your just over-reacting :v: , if you believe in freedom of speech then you shouldn't have an issue about it right.

Over reacting? About six million deaths. I actually place a value on human life. Yes it is freedom of speech and if I am seen by some (blinkered) people to be over reacting then they're entitled to that opinion. Pople said that about Winston Churchill in the late 30s.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hobbes wrote:

Yeah, most people only believe in free speech when it suits them.

Not really free speech then, is it?

Imagine the Danish paper had printed cartoons depicting jews as money-grabbing rats who were oppressing muslims? Would people defend free speech then? Well?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Yeah, most people only believe in free speech when it suits them.

Not really free speech then, is it?

Imagine the Danish paper had printed cartoons depicting jews as money-grabbing rats who were oppressing muslims? Would people defend free speech then? Well?

At least we have free speech. You won't see debate like this in the middle east (well you probably will........except that anyone with a pro-western stance would be silenced fairly quickly). I presume that a www.boards.iran (don't know the suffix) does exist then?;)

Freddie59 wrote:
    At least we have free speech. You won't see debate like this in the middle east

No we don't have free speech. We have restricted speech. Make a picture of the pope having sex with a dog and see how long you last posting it here or see if you can get it printed in a paper.

If you had true freedom of speech on boards.ie you wouldn't be banned from the Islam forum at this time.
    Yes it is freedom of speech and if I am seen by some (blinkered) people to be over reacting then they're entitled to that opinion.

So you have no problem with those kinds of cartoons being printed as well. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

All ill say is that whenever you see a mulsim ranting on tv my position is the excact opposite. I wont say any more than that or what id like to say because id get banned.
    Im glad this happened also because it seems to be polarizing the general view about muslims in Europe towards my end of the spectrum. The Americans and some of us in Europe have known for quite some time what we are up against and it seems that the rest of yous is finally starting to realize it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

more cartoon please!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

An Iranian newspaper has announced a competition for the best cartoon about the holocaust.

They want to see if the Western countries believe that freedom of expression works both ways.

NTM

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm guessing it would provoke angry reactions from some quarters in the west, with almost no burning of Iranian flags, absolutely no torching of embassies, and a distinct lack of riots.

I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

A friend of mine from Denmark was spat on today by an angry Muslim man. That's a bloody disgrace. This is what is being sent to the extremists from the Danish people:

Dansk I believe:
    Undskyld

Undskyld fordi vi bød jer hjerteligt velkommen i vores land
    Undskyld fordi vi tog os af jer mens ingen andre gjorde
    Undskyld fordi vi gav jer mad på bordet da i var allermest sultne
    Undskyld fordi vi gav jer lov til frit at praktisere jeres tro i vores kristne land
    Undskyld fordi vi gav jer retten til fri sygepleje når i har allermest brug for det
    Undskyld fordi vi gav jer retten til fri uddannelse uanset hvilken i måtte vælge
    Undskyld fordi vi gav jer retten til at stemme uanset overbevisninger
    Undskyld fordi vi betaler 50% af vores løn for at i skal have det godt
    Undskyld fordi vi lader jer bestemme frit over jeres eget liv

Men mest af alt

En undskyldning fra os for at leve i et frit land får i aldrig..!!
    English:
    Translation:

Sorry

Sorry because we welcomed you to our country with open arms
    Sorry because we took care of you when no other country would
    Sorry because we put food on your tables when you were starving
    Sorry because we let you practise your religion in our Christian Country
    Sorry because we gave you the right to free healthcare when you need it
    Sorry because we gave you the right to a free education no matter which
    Sorry because we gave you the right to vote no matter your beliefs
    Sorry because we pay 50% in taxes so you can live well
    Sorry because we let you control your own life freely

But

An apology from us for living in a free country with freedom of speech you will never get!

Glad to see they're telling them to fook right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Freddie59 wrote:
    - don't trust despots/tyrannical regimes/regimes hiding behind religion.

With the ''God bless America'' under your posts are you trying to be funny.

I think we should defend our right to take the piss out of anybody; Jesus, Pope, Mohammed or President are great targets for fun. However I think we must remember that it is only small groups of muslims over-reacting just like a small group of puritans objected here to those paddypowers ads (last supper). These countries are run by and populated mainly by religioius extremists just like Ireland was in the past (remember Catch 22 was banned and Casablanca edited).
    We should not label muslims anything as clearz may be doing. We have come out of the dark ages so we must help them do so. Anti muslim sentiment will only breed more extremism. Cultures do change, are we helping the moderate Muslims cause?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Demeant0r wrote:
    They don't want us to see their religion as violent, yet they have no problem burning down a whole Danish immigration building, this smacks hard of hyprocrisy... :rolleyes:

I think the people who do not want ''us'' to see 'thier' religion as violent are not the same people that have no problem burning down the Danish immigration building.

Not all Muslims are the same, not all Christians are the same, not all...etc...you and those violent protesters both seem not to have grasped this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement