Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Internet Banking

Options
  • 07-02-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

I was wondering when our banks are going to bring in proper banking facilities for personal use?

I can set up any old supplier on my business software with AIB, from Ireland to India..... but can't even set my parents up on my personal banking (Banking365) with BOI, just because my parents are AIB customers.
    I have an AIB credit card, but can't lodge/pay it off monthly from my BOI current account, so I have to march down to the bank every month with my slip of paper.

All it involves is a few sort codes. Internet banking must be with us close to 5 years now....it hasn't moved on much has it?

Anyone have any insight when we will have a complete personal internet banking facility open to us all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've been able to set up non-boi accounts so that I can transfer money using banking 365. You have to ring the banking 365 telephone service to set up the account the first time, but after that you can transfer it any time you want, no hassle. I find it's great although I do think there is more we could do ourselves, but better than queuing in the bank anyday. Not sure about credit card as my credit card is with boi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

With NIB online service you can set up payees yourself without having to ring the bank. You can set up as many as you want to other Irish banks, not sure about overseas though. You can also set them to automatically pay a certain amount every day/week/month etc. I believe all Irish banks have a similar facility, with some you need to ring or fill out a form beforehand but once set up they should work fine.
    [Edit] Regarding the credit card payment, I use NIB to pay my BOI CC online no hassle, I'm sure BOI 365 can do the same thing, just ring them and ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

AIB are about to issue single use PIN2 numbers on a card that is mailed out to the customer. As this card itself is un'phishable' it will be interesting to see if they now allow IBAN and external accounts in the Personal Customer Online System .

if you ring the 24 hour number you can set up any account in Ireland in your online should you wish to make payment to them ...be they AIB or otherwise and they show up in your payment or transfer options thereafter . They also handle IBAN requests for c . 50c a pop .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

chuckles30 wrote:
    I've been able to set up non-boi accounts so that I can transfer money using banking 365. You have to ring the banking 365 telephone service to set up the account the first time, but after that you can transfer it any time you want, no hassle. I find it's great although I do think there is more we could do ourselves, but better than queuing in the bank anyday. Not sure about credit card as my credit card is with boi anyway.

You can do the same with credit cards. I'm with BOI but have an MBNA CC. I just had to ring them up once with the details, and I can transfer under the "payment to other accounts" menu.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

eoin_s wrote:
    I just had to ring them up once with the details, and I can transfer under the "payment to other accounts" menu.

I love internet banking in Ireland. You have to phone them before you use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mucco wrote:
    It is a bit odd. I suppose that on the continent there's more of a tradition of paying ad hoc bills (i.e. not recurring ones that you'd pay by direct debit) etc. by direct bank transfer, whereas here, and in the UK, there's more of a tradition of using cheques.

Having lived in Holland for a good number of years before moving here, getting used to the banking system here, and it's rather odd restrictions, was quite difficult. I recall just after having moved here, having to pay a deposit on a rented house, when we had a bank account but no cheque book yet. My wife had to go to a branch of our bank (AIB) get a bank draft (that was a new one on me too!) and physically take it to a branch of the landlord's bank (BOI) and lodge it (that was a new one on me too!!! What's wrong with "pay in"?) !!! How quaint is that ??!!

Mucco wrote:

I agree to an extent, but at the same time I don't know if I would be 100% comfortable with that kind of access to my account being available online - even if the security procedures around logging in are quite strict.

If my account did get hacked at the moment, all they could do is pay my bills and transfer money between my own accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

eoin_s wrote:
    I agree to an extent, but at the same time I don't know if I would be 100% comfortable with that kind of access to my account being available online - even if the security procedures around logging in are quite strict.

To be honest, with my account (AIB) they only ask for the same security details over the phone as I'd have to type in on the computer, so I don't see how it's more secure.
    I also have a UK account (HSBC), which are infinitely better. I can transfer to whom ever I like, and often do.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

eoin_s wrote:

If my account did get hacked at the moment, all they could do is pay my bills and transfer money between my own accounts.

Imagine the chaos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed. AIB seem to lead the way in internet banking. Haven't come across anything yet I wanted to do and couldn't. Some things have a once off set up but after that its plain sailing. I also can view my loan, visa, and SSIA balances which is handy. Pay all my bills, transfer to non-AIB accounts, top up anybody's mobile (very handy if your overseas) apply for loan, buy shares, order statement, etc.

Still, I don't like AIB. Think their too business oriented and don't really care about personal bankers. AND they wouldn't let me park in there car park in Swords one day. Said it was for business customers only and it not even half full. That one really P***ED me off!!

Scotty # wrote:
    Agreed. AIB seem to lead the way in internet banking.

Don't agree with you there, BOI have always been way ahead of AIB - and most other banks - in Internet Banking.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Scotty # wrote:
    AND they wouldn't let me park in there car park in Swords one day. Said it was for business customers only and it not even half full.

The ba****ds ! Things like that put the prophets cartoon furore into perspective.... let's all storm Bankcentre !

(if you can't get to Bankcentre just storm your local branch or banlink instead)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread, but does anyone else think that the upgraded 365online website has been a serious step backwards.

The only advantage is that I can now see my mortgage balance online.

The layout is messy, and imo, it's easier to make an incorrect money transfer. It's also dog slow and sometimes unavailable at all.

And I still can't query online payments. They're bundled under the "PASS transactions" heading :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I agree it just does not look right,365online really did need a revamp as it had not changed at all since its inception.But this is just dated looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I actually find the new 365 website to be more confusing than the original.

Advertisement