Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard water purification systems

• 07-02-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has used any water purification systems for hard water? I live in the Meath area and there is a lot of limescale on the shower and around taps etc...

I have got quotes ranging from €950-€2250. Are the filter systems worth it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

There was a thread on here a while back here. Magnet and some sort of salting option seem to be the methods of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

My parents live in Meath in a hard water area and they had to get a water softner, Meath County Council gave them a grant for 75% of the total cost. They have their own well so I don't know what the story is if you are on the mains but sure give the CC a buzz and ask them, could save you alot of money. We got our water softner at cost installed by a friend €700 but I know they are generally alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

wexhun wrote:
    My parents live in Meath in a hard water area and they had to get a water softner, Meath County Council gave them a grant for 75% of the total cost.
    Theres a grant for this? Anyone else have more info on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

Ring meath cc and ask about it.

The grant is only available if your water is not suitable for human consumption, who need to be checked using a water test (~150 euro).

I have a similar problem but will only get grant aid for the removal/filtering of bacteria. Hardness in water is usually only removed from the supply to the rest of the house, the drinking water tap is usually left as hard water...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There is a grant available but the house needs to be over 10yrs old I believe.. The water needs to be tested for bacteria etc. and is also tested after the unit is installed to verify that there's an improvment. We got quotes for a Water treatment company a couple of years ago and we were quoted 1200 euro cash of 1500 if we went through the grant process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

We have got our own tests done on the water - for ecoli/bacteria and it has always come out all clear. Does this mean theres no chance of getting the grant? (The house is over ten years old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

There was nothing wrong with the water at my parents they had it tested, the house is older than ten years though, I think I remember my Dad saying it was because they had their own well and that the mains water wasn't available in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

Just spoke to someone in the county council and the grants are only available if you have a well. I'm on the mains so it doesn't apply. Will probably get one fitted though, even if it is around €1000 - probably worth it in the long run.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 vtosyear1c1

hi CWS company based in Tuam,has lots of happy customers in Meath!!

Advertisement