Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Request for Advise - Traveling TO and FRO from DUBLIN to MULLINGAR every day for work

Options
  • 07-02-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I got a new job in Mullingar, Co. West Meath. My employer told me that he will give me petrol allowance if I travel by car. I have a 2001 Model Peugeot 206. My work time is from 9.30 a.m - 5.30 p.m. I only started driving recently. Considering these I would like to get some advice from experienced people who travel to other counties by car for their daily work.

My options are:

a. Travel by car (cheapest option)

b. An Apt/ House share costing around Euro.250 + Food & other expenses

c. Travel by train taking monthly ticket costing Euro.210 + 1 month valid Rambler costing around Euro.80

1. Is it advisable to travel everyday from Dublin to Mullingar for work?

2. How much time it will take for the travel by car?

3. Is there possible traffic jams on the specified route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What part of Dublin will you be commuting to? This will make a big difference to your journey.

The drive from Mullingar to the outskirts of Dublin is not a bad one. If you choose to avoid the M4 toll you will have dual carriageway from Mullingar to Kinnegad and motorway from Kilcock to Dublin. Pay the toll and its dual carriageway/M-way all the way to the outskirts.

<edit> I misread the post, thought you were working in Dublin and living in Mullingar. The bit about the road still applies though. You will still hit congestion leaving dublin but at least you'll be going the opposite direction to most of the traffic. What part of dublin are you living in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

BrianD3 wrote:
    What part of Dublin will you be commuting to? This will make a big difference to your journey.

The drive from Mullingar to the outskirts of Dublin is not a bad one. If you choose to avoid the M4 toll you will have dual carriageway from Mullingar to Kinnegad and motorway from Kilcock to Dublin. Pay the toll and its dual carriageway/M-way all the way to the outskirts.

<edit> I misread the post, thought you were working in Dublin and living in Mullingar. The bit about the road still applies though. You will still hit congestion leaving dublin but at least you'll be going the opposite direction to most of the traffic. What part of dublin are you living in

Brian,

I am from "Chapelizod", Dublin. So after reaching "palmerstown" going by N4 seems the cheapest option. Any other option?

Jossy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

First tip, buy a Diesel. With that milage each day you will notice the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To be honest, you couldn't pick a better location within Dublin city to commute in a car to Mullingar from! Plenty of people drive Mullingar-Dublin through the traffic, you'll be going against traffic so that won't really bother you at all as you are straight onto the N4 from your home. I don't think the bus/train is a good idea if you will lose out on mileage allowance and it'll take a lot longer anyway as you'd have to get to Connolly Station (or Maynooth) to catch a Mullingar bound train.

1 hour's drive according to Michelin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It also depends on where in Mullingar you are working. If you need to drive through the town when you reach Mullingar you might get delayed by traffic. The town can be very busy at times. OTOH if your work is close to one of the exits from the Downs dual carrigeway (N4) then you're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Chapelizod to Mullingar is 40 minutes, max. That's the same as my commute from Killiney to the city centre, except your drive will be a pleasure.

You'll be driving 40 miles each way, or 80 miles per day, 400 per week, 20000 per year. On the open road, your Peugeot will easily return 40mpg, with 4.5l per gallon your trip will cost you about €10 each day on fuel or €200 per month.

You will hear a lot of nonsense about how a small engined car is not suited to this long distance - ignore it. Your car will cruise at 80mph all day, every day. Power for safe overtaking is not an issue on a dual carriageway. Your small engine will save you a lot of money in tax and insurance, particularly if you are just starting to drive. Changing to a diesel will cost you more in almost every respect.

Do you have your full license yet? If not, get it and then you can decide whether to travel by motorway or not. Without it, you must stick to the N4.

>1. Is it advisable to travel everyday from Dublin to Mullingar for work?
    Personally, I would much rather live in Chapelizod than Mullingar. If the job pays well, go for it. The train is great, but you'll still have to get from the station to your work in Mullingar, and to your home in Chapelizod. I would go for the apartment last. Mullingar has improved a lot, but it's still a midlands town.

Regarding your safety, you will be spending a lot more time driving, which means that statistically you'll be more likely to be involved in a serious accident. In fact, if you are attentive, alert and don't adopt the competitive driving style of a lot of people you will be perfectly safe, particularly on the motorway. If you get bored driving and find your attention wandering, you would be better off taking the train.

>2. How much time it will take for the travel by car?
    By motorway 40 minutes. By N4, 50 to 60. Is 20 minutes of your life worth €5 each day?

>3. Is there possible traffic jams on the specified route?
    If you avoid the motorway, you will sit in an endless line of heavy goods vehicles that you cannot overtake safely. HGVs pay €6 each way on the motorway, so they don't. This will lead to congestion in Enfield and Kinnegad.

Regarding traffic, most traffic is heading in the opposite direction to you at your travel times,so you'd be unlucky to get seriously delayed.

Good luck in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

I gave the last 8 years driving from killucan (6 miles from mullingar) to work in ibm in blanchardstown, 41 mile each way . i gave up on the kinnegad road years ago , i travelled the back road from mullingar to dublin and it was much quicker than the old n4 road or me , The new road i have travelled a few times and its costly but great. anyway the back road runs blanchardstown,clonee,dunboyne,summerhill,raharney,killucan ,mullingar . time wise its around an hour and never fills up too much , its really popular on fridays to avoid the usual ratrace, time wise its about an hour , summer is great , winter sucks cause the roads not great , best of luck with it .Ps im now going from killucan to sandyford industrial estate a few times a week . now thats the drive from hell , 2and a half hours each way is common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

The revenue commissioners only allow car mileage payements as tax free payments if the travel is incurred as part of your job and excludes travel to and from work.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, especially "ds20prefecture" for the detailed reply. Like to get bit more info.

I DONT have Full Driving licence. So I can only go by N4.

From "Chapelizod" which is the shortest route I have to follow?

Jossy

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    I DONT have Full Driving licence. So I can only go by N4.
    From "Chapelizod" which is the shortest route I have to follow?
    You really should try to get a full license as soon as possible. The difference between the motorway and the national road is huge in terms of how enjoyable the drive is.

Your direct route will take you from Chapelizod onto the N4, over the M50, past the Spa Hotel and take the Leixlip/Cellbridge exit. Turn right at the top of the exit, and then left. Drive through Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield, Clonard, Kinnegad and Mullingar.

Alternatively, ignore the rules of the road and drive on the motorway. This is a much safer, direct and easier drive, but you are breaking the law and as such may not be covered by your insurance company while driving on the motorway. This is a serious offence.

Why not take a spin to Mullingar this weekend to see how it goes? Avoid Sunday morning as there's nothing more dangerous than an avid Christian :)

• Advertisement

oldzed wrote:
    anyway the back road runs blanchardstown, clonee, dunboyne, summerhill, raharney, killucan, mullingar .
    This road is a good shortcut, particularly to blanchardstown as you describe. I would not recommend it to a learner driver for a daily commute, though. It is narrow, bumpy and with very poor visibility in places. I reckon you need a good car too - it's a great road with a 2.0 Alfa 156 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

All the good advice has already been given. Personally I'd drive aswell. Diesel saloon. I did a similar commute but in a different direction in a newish 1L micra for about 6 months. While it was fine and I didn't have any problems I would have a bit more comfy in a bigger car.

Sherlock wrote:
    The revenue commissioners only allow car mileage payements as tax free payments if the travel is incurred as part of your job and excludes travel to and from work.
    His employer may state that he is based in Dublin but working on a contract in Mullingar. The contract might take a few years, no different to (say) an architect travellng to a long term project from his office to oversee the work. I presumed that he meant his employer would either do it this way or pay him extra and let it be taxed back down to the level he gave.

As for avoiding the motorway, well I personally would risk it so long as it's not an offence you can rack up points for (check that out!). Your insurance will have to cover you for 3rd party claims regardless of them happening on the motorway or not. I presume you're on your first provo and will be driving unaccompanied anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Mullingar to Foxhunter in Lucan is 25 mins now with the new motorway. add another 15 to get to Chapelizod, and bob's your uncle. (and fanny's your aunt)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

For Chapelizod to Mullingar by public transport the bus would be the best option. They pick-up and set down at Heuston and on the N3 at Liffey Valley.
    8am Sligo bus from Busaras gets to Mullingar by 9.20

John R wrote:
    For Chapelizod to Mullingar by public transport the bus would be the best option. They pick-up and set down at Heuston and on the N3 at Liffey Valley.

Yes but you have add the time it takes to get to and from the bus stops at either end.

John R wrote:
    Eh, who starts work at 9:20?

1 hour and 20 minutes to travel 40 miles? How is this better than 40 minutes in a car? The bus fare is (at best) €4.20 each way. So for the €1.80 saving per day over the petrol cost you get to spend an extra 1 hour and 20 minutes travelling.

Your time must not be worth much to you.

John R wrote:

Compared to train fare busfare is realy cheap (€64.50 ). Is the bus stop near the liffey valley shopping centre?

Always wonder about this. For me even 5 mins is critical in the morning.

1 hour and 20 minutes to travel 40 miles? How is this better than 40 minutes in a car? The bus fare is (at best) €4.20 each way. So for the €1.80 saving per day over the petrol cost you get to spend an extra 1 hour and 20 minutes travelling.

Perhaps you should re-read John R's post. He didn't claim the bus was better than the car. He said it was the best public transport option.
    John R wrote:
    For Chapelizod to Mullingar by public transport the bus would be the best option.
    My own emphasis.

• Advertisement

If you speak to people like that in person your personal safety must not be worth much to you.

The bus is given 1h20 from the city, at that time of day it would take at least 20-25mns to get to the M50.

If the OP didn't nead a car other than for work then the savings from ditching it would be a hell of a lot more than the petrol cost and public transport would save him a small fortune.

If you had cared to read his post properly then you would have noticed that the OP stated he started work at 9.30 so a bus arriving at 9.20 seems to fit the bill nicely.

I am not advocating one mode over the other, just giving the OP some options.

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Compared to train fare busfare is realy cheap (€64.50 ). Is the bus stop near the liffey valley shopping centre?

€64.50 is the price of a weekly Giant Hop Commuter ticket valid for all Dublin Bus/Irish Rail/Bus Eireann in a 40-50mile radius from Dublin.

A 10 journey Dublin-Mullingar bus ticket costs €41.90. Add to that the cost of Dublin Bus fare.

The stop for provincial buses at Liffey Valley is on the main N4 just past the M50 roundabout, the 25/25a/66/67/67a buses from Chapelizod stop there.

I can see the point of the money savings and all. But all those connections and getting to and from bus stops is time consuming. Plus you've got to dress differently for the bus than the car. That is a factor aswell IMO.

John R wrote:
    If you speak to people like that in person your personal safety must not be worth much to you.
    Threats - how nice! I assure you that my personal safety is worth a lot to me, and rarely feel the need to think about it when talking to people.

I believe you may have taken me up wrong - and I you. I did not intend to insult you, but rather I wondered how 1 hour and twenty minutes per day was worth no more than €1.80 to you.

I missed the "by public transport" specific of your post.

Isn't the web wonderful?

Advertisement