Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play dod:s for free this weekend!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Ah great, thanks for this, I'll finally know if its worth purchasing or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

well id heartily recommend it, but im biased. Check out the movie if you can,
    http://www.eurogamer.tv/index.php?playlist=36&PHPSESSID=0jgas0eboaj999prha9j1j7b40

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I love this game. Well worth the $20, even given the fact that it only has 6 official maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've being meaning to buy this but haven't had to money this free tester will decide whether i'll pay the $20. :p

nice one valve

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

will test and see if it's worth it. but it has to be better then css if i'm gonna buy :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

will test and see if it's worth it. but it has to be better then css if i'm gonna buy :p

It has nazi's, annoying americans with annoying accents (that you can kill) and hitlers buzzsaw, the MG42. How can Gimps versus Movie Bad Guy Stereotypes be better? It's also fun and doesn't make you wait 5 minutes looking at retards walking past each other.

And screw the pansy AWP. A real man uses a Garand or KAR98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Retr0gamer wrote:

And screw the pansy AWP. A real man uses a Garand or KAR98.

Best Quote Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

After a few months of patchs,it might be a good game :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Should be worth a go. I heard great things about the original DoD when I was playing Call of Duty (I played with some very nostalgic players ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need to have a Steam account to play this, may be misleading to people who think they getting a free game for the weeekend.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steam accounts are free, you can have one but no games, I think.

Don't think the game needs patches either. Haven't noticed a single bug except for people exploiting the 'people ladder' to get up to a dodgy place in Kalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

A Steam account is free to set up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Retr0gamer wrote:
    and hitlers buzzsaw, the MG42.
    Or you can play Red Orchestra and get the Buzzsaw's full rate of fire of 1600 rounds a minute (or is it 1800?), them 250 rounds belts last about 10 seconds :)

DoDS is excellent though, the game has been improved dramatically since release, with far better hit box's and bullet reg, aswell as the new maps, and various bug fix's, its a perfect time to try the game out.

Pugsley wrote:
    Or you can play Red Orchestra and get the Buzzsaw's full rate of fire of 1600 rounds a minute (or is it 1800?), them 250 rounds belts last about 10 seconds :)

DoDS is excellent though, the game has been improved dramatically since release, with far better hit box's and bullet reg, aswell as the new maps, and various bug fix's, its a perfect time to try the game out.

Wrong on both accounts, 1200 rounds per minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for the heads up - I actually pre-loaded this and paid up via Visa card - was fine that night and then I could never get in again - they botched the CC validation. Never went back as I was disgusted with them....:mad:

12.00PM PST Friday 10th - 11.59PM Sunday 12th

So whats these work out as in Irish time? - I assume we're getting this 8-10 hours earlier and by the same token it'll run out halfway through Sunday ???

Might stay up late on Thurs. night so..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

How big is DoD to download?

i think its about 600mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ugh!

gotta love the way steam locks up my system while it's updating the platform files:mad:
    thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

ye saw this a few days ago just a few hours before original post :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054886419

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is it worth re-installing HL2 for? Which I thought was a mediocre game at best.

edit: nevermind, dont need to install HL2.

I'll give it a go. But if it's full of "l33t" 14 year olds and poor teamplay, it's out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sadly, most of those gimps seem to be plagueing battlefield 2 these days :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Elessar wrote:
    Is it worth re-installing HL2 for? Which I thought was a mediocre game at best.

edit: nevermind, dont need to install HL2.

I'll give it a go. But if it's full of "l33t" 14 year olds and poor teamplay, it's out the window.

HL2.. mediocre? What are you, an MMORPG fan?

If you do decide to toss it out the window, it'll be a big loss to the community im sure :rolleyes:

For the record, i don't like dod.

RotalicaV wrote:
    pointless rant

HL2 was all style and no substance. And no, I do not play MMORPGs.

But thanks for posting champ! Your opinion is a shining beacon of our community! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

why are dad and dad fighting?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tba wrote:
    why are dad and dad fighting?!?!
    Because you touch yourself.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Despite the low content level and my low opinon of steam I highly recommend this game well worth checking out. Takes a little getting use to it but I find it highly addictive and enjoyable.

May run a competition of this at the next midlans lan. Last lan we did this proved to be a highly popular game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Good game, worth the purchase from my short experience of it. Only thing Id say is that it makes CS seem like run and gun. Campage is extreme given assaults are often cut short by dug in MGs and snipers. That said, the maps are all of very high quality - least the ones Ive played.

And whilst its not fun getting milled out of it by an MG, it is fun being that MG.

but an MG can easily be removed by a rifle nade or semi skilled sniper :D

I have to agree. From my short time playing I'm having a blast. It has gotten me back into games. Still unsure whether I'll purchase it, but I'm leaning towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

but an MG can easily be removed by a rifle nade or semi skilled sniper

Thats true. Im learning where, and where not to try and deploy an MG to try and avoid just such an eventuality. Learning the hard way. MG has flaws, but if you can set up in good cover, before youre sniped, then its an awesome weapon. Gives a good Aliens feeling as swarms of guys come from every angle trying to flank you. I like the rifleman class as well for their nades, and its rather decent for sniping as well.

One thing Ill say is not enough servers have class limits. Classes like MG, Sniper need to be limited to maybe one per team so that if theyre camping one flag, then the other flags are more open because of it. 10 man teams where you have 3 snipers and 2 MGs are bit top heavy imo.

Advertisement