Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play dod:s for free this weekend!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I was playing last night of a good capped server 2 snipers/2 MG/2/ Launchers per team

Band-of-Beavers was the name.

ABout 15 men to a side worked very well.

I <3 this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Stephen wrote:
    Sadly, most of those gimps seem to be plagueing battlefield 2 these days :/
    depends on the server in bf2 or css (i'm sure dods is the same). you can get some right idiots but then you can get some amazing gameplay on other servers.

course in bf2 you can smack them in the face with some artillery :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Sand wrote:
    Thats true. Im learning where, and where not to try and deploy an MG to try and avoid just such an eventuality. Learning the hard way. MG has flaws, but if you can set up in good cover, before youre sniped, then its an awesome weapon. Gives a good Aliens feeling as swarms of guys come from every angle trying to flank you. I like the rifleman class as well for their nades, and its rather decent for sniping as well.

One thing Ill say is not enough servers have class limits. Classes like MG, Sniper need to be limited to maybe one per team so that if theyre camping one flag, then the other flags are more open because of it. 10 man teams where you have 3 snipers and 2 MGs are bit top heavy imo.

True, i dont play on servers that dont have class limits. The best servers ive palyed on are The OC, and UKCS.
    As for the MG, yeah it takes a while to learn the best spots for MG'ing but when you do, you can easily turn the tide of a round. The balcony on Avalanche is a brilliant spot, and the sandbags near the middle flag on flah are great spots, but the best spot ive ever used is in the building past the tank on donner. Set up in the window there wand watch the kills rack up. Got 12 kills in a row before there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

What server are most of you playing on? It would be nice to all get together for a game somehow. :)

only a few hours left for the freebie. (clock here: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=dodFreeWeekend )

who's gonna buy now?
    i know i am...

• Advertisement

ALOT of people are gonna but it i think, from what ive seen impressions of the game are very positive from everyone i asked. Apart fromt he CS'ers :rolleyes:
    'this sucks im going back to CS' one of them said..yeah right, cs, one of the dullest games ive ever played online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Uh oh, only 10 hours left and I've not gone near Steam :)

It's a pity I didn't get to try it, though I'm kinda glad I didn't get sucked into another online game - it might have messed up college even more :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Managed to play a little bit over the weekend. Was kinda fun, accidentally setting up a MG crossfire was a great moment, and really did show what could happen if people did work together.

DoD strikes me as the best bits of BF2, i.e the groundpounding, without having to worry about for gimboid in a jet blowing you to hell and back, and you unable to do anything about it.

all that said, i'm not shelling out for it. it was fun while it lasted but it's not really worth the money. There is nothing in DoD to really elevate it above the rest of the Mods for HL2 that are available for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    Fear the MG42

I <3 dod:s.
    Retro i saw ya on a server there the other day, said ello but turned out it was your bro using the pc :D
    And my '42 PWNS ALL!!!!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    Fear the MG42
    wow..... :p

actually i had my first negative experience playing dod last night. I never accuse anyone of hacking, cause basically if someone called me a hacker id be flattered someone thought i was that good! But some guy who went by the name of '1/4', on avalance, was absolutely owning people all over. Nothing unusual there, until kis kills went up to 54 K 8 D, with a garand. Now ive seen some good riflemen ons ervers in my time, but the way this guy was able to spin around on the spot and instantly headshot you when you were running up behind him even had his teammates accusing him of cheating. I left the server in disgust

tbh on the free weekend i was doing really well with the rifle too. now my kd ratio wasn't quite as good (for every 3 or 4 kills i'd get a death), i can believe someone would be that damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

some of these kids do nothing but play, they should be good. Cause they are rubbish at everything else including typing.

nah believe me this guy was headshotting with literally every shot. Ive seen soem great players, but ive yet to see anyone who could kill with one shot EVERY TIME with the garand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

54:8 isnt that unbelievable for a garand, have managed 48:6 before, which is a higher ratio, also with a garand. If you use a garand constantly you will start getting insanely good with it after about 10 hours, however for some reason, when using the garand exckusively, if you use a diffrent gun for so much as 1 map you suddenly suck to high heavens with the garand again, which is just odd :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i have been playing dod since its first release beta all those years ago, it is and still is THE best ww2 shooter out there online.

I think it takes cod to the cleaners.

Might invest in source when my new pc arrives.....looks good stuff.

Pugsley wrote:
    54:8 isnt that unbelievable for a garand, have managed 48:6 before, which is a higher ratio, also with a garand. If you use a garand constantly you will start getting insanely good with it after about 10 hours, however for some reason, when using the garand exckusively, if you use a diffrent gun for so much as 1 map you suddenly suck to high heavens with the garand again, which is just odd :v:

Trust me. Ive seen good players. Ive seen GREAT players. But this wasnt skill, theres just no possible way ANYONE could get 99% headshots they way this bloke did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

i enjoyed the freebie play of it over the weeken, just got the hole thing. Any recomendations on servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

The Nogs just stuck up a server for dod... Meant to be bangin!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I seen one guy with the Kar 98 on 92k 10d on flash. Never seen anything like it. He ran straight up the center just beyond center flag he ran into a mixture of 6 americans in the open. They opened fire and he just straffed them to bits his movement was just unreal. Dodged the lot and and fired off his 5 rounds killing 5 and then reloading and killing the sixth.

Was shocking stuff. Thank god I was on his team. Next nearest kills to was like 28.

Azza wrote:
    I seen one guy with the Kar 98 on 92k 10d on flash. Never seen anything like it. He ran straight up the center just beyond center flag he ran into a mixture of 6 americans in the open. They opened fire and he just straffed them to bits his movement was just unreal. Dodged the lot and and fired off his 5 rounds killing 5 and then reloading and killing the sixth.
    Either the other team was truely awful, or he could have been using a script to lower his rates down to minimum (56k or even less) to make him unhittable, but set it up so when you press fire the rates go back to ADSL settings, seen it done in CSS, Im sure it would probably work in DoDS, but its lame as sin. The alternative however is he was good and the other team blew :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

I used to be able to get scores in the 60s 70s and 80s sometimes with v low deaths on certain servers in original DOD, but there are much much better players out there as I found when I started playing organised wars with pro clans and I would get like 2 kills 18 deaths ... those guys were incredibly good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I used to be able to get scores in the 60s 70s and 80s sometimes with v low deaths on certain servers in original DOD, but there are much much better players out there as I found when I started playing organised wars with pro clans and I would get like 2 kills 18 deaths ... those guys were incredibly good

Yup, clan level play on any game is far advanced over what you see on publics, and the quality of individual player is generally much better as well. A player does not become insanely good from simply playing casual weekend warriors. TBH, given the quality of clan player I saw in UT who could do things that were quite simply impossibly good (theres a player I played with I still remember as an absolute flag capping monster, completely unreal ability, though Im now sure he was a fakenicker), Id think a player was fakenicking before Id think they were aimbotting if they were taking casual players to the cleaners. I think these guys love getting called aimbotters, for the old ego massage.

Sand wrote:
    Id think a player was fakenicking before Id think they were aimbotting if they were taking casual players to the cleaners. I think these guys love getting called aimbotters, for the old ego massage.

Aye but im not exactly a casual dod player :D
    And for the record i never accuse people of hacking for that reason ^, this was the first time id seen someone i honestly thought was jsut out and out cheating

Sand wrote:
    TBH, given the quality of clan player I saw in UT who could do things that were quite simply impossibly good (theres a player I played with I still remember as an absolute flag capping monster, completely unreal ability, though Im now sure he was a fakenicker)
    If you really want to see an impossably good player, get some of Fatality's Quake3 playing, he won $232,000 at CPL last year adn is the undisputed king of Quake3, and if you see some of his more recent Q3 videos, its no shock, that guy truely is insanely good. He released a video of his latest tourny at CPL, in just 3 days of him gaming in the 10 odd min video has more impressive kills than even most of the compilation Q3 movies Ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

'Scuse my ignorance here, but fakenicking? Wuzzat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Aye but im not exactly a casual dod player
    And for the record i never accuse people of hacking for that reason ^, this was the first time id seen someone i honestly thought was jsut out and out cheating

Sadly, no matter how good anyone is, theres another rank of player who can make them look like noobs. The people who scare me are the rank of players who make *that* rank of player look like noobs...

I dunno, I didnt see this guy in action but its more than possible theres guys out there who are simply that good.
    If you really want to see an impossably good player, get some of Fatality's Quake3 playing, he won $232,000 at CPL last year adn is the undisputed king of Quake3, and if you see some of his more recent Q3 videos, its no shock, that guy truely is insanely good. He released a video of his latest tourny at CPL, in just 3 days of him gaming in the 10 odd min video has more impressive kills than even most of the compilation Q3 movies Ive seen.

Never really had an interest in Q3, UT was my poision and UT CTF at that. I saw the vid of him playing Zulg at UT2K3 DM and theres no doubt he had to be extremely good to lose the Q3 habits and learn UT2K3 movement in a short space of time. Zulg was a rather good UT DM/CTFer as well (managed to beat Fatality at UT2K3, but Fatality also beat him IIRC and Id give more credit to Fatality for switching styles, even those UT2K3 did owe a lot in its design to Q3...enough for me not to like it :) ), never get tired of watching the fooze video they released - he was basically the star of it and he must have been really frustrating to play with given how good he was. And he was good for quoted opinions on CS.
    'Scuse my ignorance here, but fakenicking? Wuzzat?

Exactly what it says on the tin, use of a fake nick or handle. In clan games players would enter a game as a "ringer", changing their nick. Not all that common in competitive play because A) it was rather obvious when a player who was otherwise average suddenly played the game of his life and B) match admins started checking up on ips from game to game. Players from top clans might fakenick to join lesser clans to get more games, or simply to avoid notice if they had a bad game on a public and failed to live up to their reputation. I knew of one clan of good players who used to fakenick as a group, entering much lower divisions as a fake clan, and then theyd beat the clans there using only pistons and TLs against shock rifles and rocket launchers, which appealed to their ego/humour. Maybe it was just a UT CTF thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Any one see the magnet.ie server - I'm on it right now on my own so I wont wait for long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Pugsley wrote:

Fatality's last Q3 win was about 5 years ago. There have been many better players to date.

Advertisement