Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA finally come down hard on Turkey

• 07-02-2006 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0207/turkey.html

Six games behind closed doors AND at a neutral venue. They can't say it hasn't been coming though. It also avoid a potentially dangerous Greece trip to Turkey for the Euro qualifiers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Not before time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

well done to them for finally getting up the cajones to do it! took em long enough though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think one of the reasons that something was finally done is that Sepp Blatter was actually at the game and saw for himself just how bad things were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Alpay and Emre were also given 6-match bans, and several backroom staff were fined and suspended.
    Switzerland's Benjamin Huggel was also handed a similar ban after admitting to kicking Turkish assistant coach Mehmet Ozdilek. Ozdilek himself has been ordered stay away from football for a year as a result of his role in the violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It also avoid a potentially dangerous Greece trip to Turkey for the Euro qualifiers.

i think thats why FIFA did this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Excellent news. The only thing that would have made me happier would be if they had been kicked out of UEFA permanently!

Hopefully it'll shame them into not acting like animals on and off the pitch in future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah great news. Finally FIFA have got the guts to act. Turkey are well known for their violence. Hopefully this will teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

theres a few swiss players banned too! typical! the one year we dont have them in our group, they're missin a loada players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Do the banned Swiss players miss the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

i think instead of playing the game in a nuetral venue the turks should have to play all their qualifying games away..ie if they were drawn with Ireland..they would play in ireland twice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

About time they have been getting away with numerous events over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

About bloody time!

The violence continued in the tunnel and Swiss defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital and needed a catheter inserted after being kicked in the stomach during a free-for-all.
    I didn't realise the milly up was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Benjamin Huggel of Switzerland got a six games ban which rules him out of the World cup, that was for a kick at a Turkish assistant coach, the coach was told to stay away from football for one year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

All I can say is its about time.
    Its has be going on for years and about time someone did something about it. I wonder will many countries come out and support them when they try to get this over turned ?
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

TonyD79 wrote:
    i think instead of playing the game in a nuetral venue the turks should have to play all their qualifying games away..ie if they were drawn with Ireland..they would play in ireland twice!

I think the rational behind a neutral venue (behind closed doors) is that you hit the country financially but without giving the team a massive disadvantage football wise. If they want to punish the team they have a more direct way, dock points.

Something that bothers me about rulings like this. Say there was a group with Ireland, Russia and Turkey. And Ireland and Russia are battling for second place. Ireland play Turkey and due to problems at the game Russia receive a bonus at (effectively) Irelands expense

Advertisement