Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp pro password problem

• 07-02-2006 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

In short, i am locked out of my computer. Its bollocks. I am running XP Pro. I was planning to reformat and i was trying to connect my pc to my friends so i could put my music/videos/files on his pc while i reformat. Thats when someything went wrong. I remember trying to set up a workgoup and it said i needed to restart for settings to be complete and when i did restart my password is not accepted. There is a Username box, a password box and there used to be a drop don menu that said College, Student and something else. I remeber my original password but it just doesn't work even though my username is allready in the box when i restart.

If anyone can help me i will be most gratefull.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tick the box that says workstation only..
    Reboot into Safe Mode and try the Administrator account
    or
    Blank it.
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

There is no workstation box. Also when i reboot in safe mode there is no option to try the admin account. I really dont want to blank it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

blank it = blank the password on the workstation.. you understood that..right?
    Was this PC set up by your college by any chance? Was it part of a domain?

I didn't actually, sorry! I should have read the link first, i just assumed you meant reformat. I know now, thanks man.
    Yeah, i used it last year to log on to my college network

Hey man, i hope your still here! I cant figure out what to do. I made the boot disk and am in the dos prompt but i cant figure out what to do next, i have read the faq and it is obvious that my blinding stupidity prevents me from completing this by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Remove the HDD and mount it in another PC. Copy over your data files and then clean down the drive and reinstall it in your own PC. Then you are free to reinstall win XP.

That is one way to achieve your goal. But don't mess beyond your ability if your data is invaluable to you.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

... burn a copy of Trinity Rescue Linux to CD, boot from it and reset your passwords. You probably can't get to your machine to do this, but ask a friend. If you have NTFS, make suer you get the latest version of Trinity (3.0?) since that's the only one that handles NTFS reliably. See http://trinityhome.org/trk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Hey man, i hope your still here! I cant figure out what to do. I made the boot disk and am in the dos prompt but i cant figure out what to do next, i have read the faq and it is obvious that my blinding stupidity prevents me from completing this by myself.

assuming you've got a bog standard pc with out scsi drives....

for step one, 1 <return>
    step two: 1 <return>
    step three: 1 <return>

you should then see a list of the user a/c's on the machine
    type in the username that you wish to modify
    It then shows some info on the a/c

* <return> (blanks the password)
    y <return> (to the crap on confirming that you want to change that a/c)

then you'll be brought back to the menu with the list of user a/cs,

! <return> (to bring you back to the main menu)
    q <return> (to quit)

then you should be asked one last question about writing the files back...
    y <return>

then it'll tell you that it's done. also think it asks if you want to try again, say no, reboot and enter nothing as the password

When i reboot the command prompt say [DR-DOS] a:\>
    It doesnt respond to any commands except wwbmu, the program on the disk, but i cannot understand it because its in German. Thanks for your hep so for though!

Advertisement