Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone installed a dishwasher in 2 bed

Options
  • 07-02-2006 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just wondering if anyone has put in a dishwasher in a 2 bed house? Durkan had agreed to do this for me but then never did. Just wondering if anyone has any details of a handy man. It would require taking out a cupboard and moving the freezer to make the space, but worth it I think...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I have done this recently.

What you do is take the freezer out as you said its not difficult, just use a crow bar(used because of the press glued in) to do it and take the screws out at the side. The best place to move your freezer to is, opposite the fridge (the first press). As we learned the hard way by putting it opposite the freezer's orignal spot. There's a gas pipe there from the cooker and it wont fit properly.
    Installing the dishwasher: You need to buy a new U-bend with 2 outlet waste pipes (1 for the dishwasher and 1 for the washing machine which is already hooked up) that you can buy in Chadwicks for 10 euro.
    If you remove your backboard from under your sink you will see the extra water pipe that's there now.

If you want any more info on this let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

Did you find that losing one of your cupboards kind of screwed you in regards to storage? there's little enough as it is.

We're going to do the same thing in our house. Is it expensive to get done? Can you recomend anyone to do it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Alternatively I think you can move the washing machine into the downstairs bathroom and put the dishwasher in its place.

We were going to do that, but decided we'll leave it in the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CatD

thanks for all the replies. I actually called a handyman from the local paper today and he said he would do it for me at a cost of about €150. Think I will get him to do it as that sink is just too small.....

also regarding losing the storage space. I bought a sideboard to go at the other side of the kitchen island wall and have put most of my plates and things in there. Solved the problem.

• Advertisement

Nice one, can you give me his number?

Cheers

CatD wrote:
    thanks for all the replies. I actually called a handyman from the local paper today and he said he would do it for me at a cost of about €150. Think I will get him to do it as that sink is just too small.....

also regarding losing the storage space. I bought a sideboard to go at the other side of the kitchen island wall and have put most of my plates and things in there. Solved the problem.

I sent you a private msg btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BrokerBroker

Has anyone actually moved there whasing machine into the downstairs bathroom in the two beds - would be very interested in doing so, some tips would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

To have a washing machine in the downstairs loo requires a power supply like a socket(which would be wall-mounted). I don't know the exact regulations however it is not recommend to have any sockets, switches or electrical appliances such as toasters! in any bathroom or Water Closet. The only time you do see an electrical appliance is the shaver's light or perhaps a pull-chord for a light switch which would be mounted on the ceiling where you couldn't touch it with wet hands. Shavers' lights are required to be wired up in a safe place away from water jets or any potential splashing.

In the end what you do in your own house is up to you but be aware of the dangers with this one (especially if there are kids around).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

thought the dishwasher came with the apartment??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BrokerBroker

Sorry should have read two bed town house. There is a good bit of space under the stairs (you have rip out the press and take down some plaster board).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MimiQ

I'm looking to install a dishwasher too, and move the washing machine, but can't find anyone to do it. Has anyone got a recommendation for a plumber/handyman? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Sorry guys I'm a bit confused: didn't your kitchen come with the dishwasher pre-installed? Are they skimping on that now?! Or are you moving/replacing the one that came with the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jabba90

No dish washer in em...:mad: :(

Advertisement