Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Drinking While Driving

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hey Deputydrugs,
    Lay off Peachy, her post was very coherent and sensible and it is clear that your rant against her is uncalled for. Read the post more carefully, despite what you think You are not 'The Law' and it was not you or your type being referred to in that post. Use the brain a little more before blowing your top...
    Jeez..... God help us all !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well OP, i would get used to the idea of losing your license. Its a very real possibility.

The chances are extremely slim you'll get jail time but rest assured if you do, society will not miss another drunk driver on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

pauly04 wrote:
    .I now have to attend court on valentines day.

What was the outcome then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Chopperdog wrote:
    Hey Deputydrugs,
    Lay off Peachy, her post was very coherent and sensible and it is clear that your rant against her is uncalled for. Read the post more carefully, despite what you think You are not 'The Law' and it was not you or your type being referred to in that post. Use the brain a little more before blowing your top...
    Jeez..... God help us all !

Exactly.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I do think you are experiencing some remorse, but the part that really p****d me off is that you think it was just 'bad luck' that you were caught.

I think it was extremely good luck, as it possibly saved a life further on down that road be it yours or anothers, and it hopefully has made sure that you won't do it again. By the way, if you have a social conscience tell all your friendsabout this incident..it might stop them from ever doing the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

pauly04 wrote:
    I Never drink and drive but on sunday just gone i decided to have a couple of pints in my local which is only 30 seconds away from me in my car.
    Well, I never really mug old ladies or throw bricks through windows, but last Saturday I gave into tempation as I was only 30 seconds away from my house and could run away and hide very quickly, or so I thought...

I hope the book is thrown at you by the judge. You are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

maybe he didnt reply because they have no internet access in prison :)
    then again they seem to have everything else. wouldnt be surprised if they have internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Tiesto wrote:
    maybe he didnt reply because they have no internet access in prison :)
    then again they seem to have everything else. wouldnt be surprised if they have internet.
    Maybe he could blog about his experiences in the slammer... serves him right in fairness. I do a lot of cycling, and the roads are dangerous enough without adding alcohol to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

deputydugs wrote:
    Very stupid thing to do and as a garda I think you will not get off with this. However state in court how sorry you are and make and state everthing thing you have said on this board. It is not the end of the worl but it may have been as I am sure you were not worried when you got into your car to drive home. I do not think you will lose your D/L but what was the result of the test it had to be over 34 but by how much?

You are not a Garda or you would not have made such a blatanlty wrong post. Every drink driver convicted MUST, let me repeat that, MUST be banned from driving.

Its not an option its mandatory and the limit is 34. Courts ruled that 34 itself is not over the limit so therefore you must score 35 or higher.

Wannabees and amateur lawayers give bad and dangerous advise.

Choppers post was the best by far except one minor point, on 1st conviction the judge can reduce the ban by 50% if you plead guilty straight away so its possible to be banned for only 6 months.

A little note, Gardai that arrest drink drivers and the ones that operate the machinary are usually traffic corp and have recieved special training. Arguing the case against them will not work, these guys know their jobs inside and out.

Arguing against the likes of me and you have a chance as I have not prosecuted that many drink drivers and the legislation/ proceedures are complicated.

Now, do you fight and risk a full penalty based on getting me or plead guilty and play it safe for the 6 months ban???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Wannabees and amateur lawayers give bad and dangerous advise

Well said....
    For god's sake people, if you cant give realistic or accurate advice dont bother saying anything at all.
    Opinions are like arseholes... in that everybody has one !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

pauly, i was in a similar situation. i am a 21 yr student with a lovely car and i enjoy driving but i was arrested one day for dangerous driving( doing a hand brake turn ) anyway thats not the point the point is that it was my 1st time i was in trouble with police. and i was also put in a cell for 1 and a half hours which did scare ma and i did not know what to do and how to tell my parents. i also had to go to court 2 times and there is a 3rd date set for 5th october. anyway the best option is tell your parents exactly what happened as end of the day they will give you advise. everyone makes mistakes but they have to be sorted out. hope you donot get banned or anything as its your 1st offence.

good luck and hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

You are not a Garda or you would not have made such a blatanlty wrong post. Every drink driver convicted MUST, let me repeat that, MUST be banned from driving.

Its not an option its mandatory and the limit is 34. Courts ruled that 34 itself is not over the limit so therefore you must score 35 or higher.

A little note, Gardai that arrest drink drivers and the ones that operate the machinary are usually traffic corp and have recieved special training. Arguing the case against them will not work, these guys know their jobs inside and out.
    QUOTE]

First off deputydugs is a Garda. And in fairness he said over 34 which is sort of the same as 35, as the intoxilyser doesn't measure decimal points.

He will lose his licence alright, that is mandatory. You can get it back on appeal after 50% of your penalty has elapsed I believe.

Traffic Corps aren't the only cops who do this. Regular units will normally have a man who is trained in the use of the intoxilyser and if not, they will call the doctor to take blood, or at your option urine.

Take your punishment, you didnt murder anyone. It literally happens 10's of 1000's of people in the country - it's not the end of the world. If you get away with it because you know a cop then that will be a disgrace. Please learn from this mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

You are not a Garda or you would not have made such a blatanlty wrong post.
    Gardai that arrest drink drivers and the ones that operate the machinary are usually traffic corp and have recieved special training. Arguing the case against them will not work, these guys know their jobs inside and out.

Think what ya want there.

Where I am we have no intoxilyzer and use the old pink slip with a doc and have to travel way outta our area to even get to an intoxilyzer and the 20mins nill by mouth, not a problem it takes 35mins to get to the intoxilyzer and even if we do that most of the time the operator will not do the test. And I have seen a case been screwed up by the traffic corp due to a technicality in given evidence, even when the result off the test was way over the limit. Hence the part where he might not loose his D/L.

I know where you are coming from with the wannabe garda part as I am sick to death myself of people claming to be a garda and mainly in pubs and not online, but maybe you should read some more of my post before you bash me.

My guess is Karlitosway1978, and I am not bashin you. But I have the feeling you are a city mual and have all you want within a few miles. I do not have to explain what resourses some stations have as you will know your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Way to go, DeputyDugs. I think this fella is too big for his boots. way too big. My dad was a garda down the country in a wee part-time station and he had similar problems with equipment and resources lacking. He told me once he stopped a car in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere with 5 blokes in the car. He knew that the car was stolen but didn't do anything about it 'cos he was

1. on his own
    2. on a bike
    3. the nearest 24hr station was 15 miles away
    4. and they probably wouldn't have been able to find him as the area is a maze of crisscrossing back roads.

Pauly04,

What the outcome of u case, i hope to god u never do it again.

The problem with Irish society as a whole on this topic is our perception of drink driving and the consequences. Most people here would have heard the usual quotes such as "one for the road", "this is the last one", or what about "sure the guards are never around, I'll never be caught". I haven't heard anyone say " sure i won't kill someone tonight" or "it'll be grand, i have life insurance so my wife/girlfriend will be ok if i'm killed".

did u know that drink-driving are one of the most contested charges from a garda's pont of view??? I heard that from a Sergeant in the Dublin Traffic Corp who does presentations around the country about dangerous driving and drink-driving. They are available to come to ur workpplace/school to do these presentations and I recommend everyone to see it for themselves. It is truly shocking and frightening. They should make a TV programme out of it.

it is so sad to see someone driving while drunk and they think that their driving is the best and they won't be noticed. but there are people out there including myself who report drunk drivers to the guards. I have had the guards stop 2 drivers who i suspected of being drunk and they were.

so learn ur lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Recently, a car, going around a bend, lost control, and hit one person, nearby where I live. The driver was drunk, and like you, proberly lived only "30 seconds" from the pub.

So you'll get no sympathy from me, and I think you fully deserve at least a 2 year ban. As for your "love of driving"... well that to me means you like to drive fast. So a 2 year ban may not be long enough.
    Lemme see... when was the last time I saw a traffic cop beyond the pale... Nope. Never. Not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

the_syco wrote:
    Recently, a car, going around a bend, lost control, and hit one person, nearby where I live. The driver was drunk, and like you, proberly lived only "30 seconds" from the pub.

So you'll get no sympathy from me, and I think you fully deserve at least a 2 year ban. As for your "love of driving"... well that to me means you like to drive fast. So a 2 year ban may not be long enough.

Lemme see... when was the last time I saw a traffic cop beyond the pale... Nope. Never. Not once.
    Love of driving meaning 2 year ban is very unfair...
    Howevert anyone found ever the limit, especially, young of age, should pay the full price, because that is what all us young drivers pay for at the moment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wanderer222

Some drunks down in Galway ploughed a car up onto the pavement last week, ran some poor slob down too. Nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Still doesnt explain why you said he wouldnt lose his license Deputy but I agree with the rural comments.

Nog,
    You aint in yet so when you have passed the tests, been to Templemore, passed more tests and actually worked the job, then you can comment on what I am and what I know. Everything I said about drink driving was 100% accurate as was my comments on the training, you will find that when you actually learn Road traffic law and Garda Proceedures.

Still doesnt explain why you said he wouldnt lose his license Deputy but I agree with the rural comments.

Nog,
    You aint in yet so when you have passed the tests, been to Templemore, passed more tests and actually worked the job, then you can comment on what I am and what I know. Everything I said about drink driving was 100% accurate as was my comments on the training, you will find that when you actually learn Road traffic law and Garda Proceedures.

I wasn't refering to ur understanding of police procedures. I was actually talking about how u word ur posts . You seem to have the ability to jump in, knock in some heads and then ask " what's going here". Little more use of tact goes a long way as does reading posts properly and understanding them.

• Advertisement

Nog,

If the member screws up in court, say by by to the case. Ive seen it happen. In fact I think..............lets just say..........a member knew the man very well. Hence the keeping his d/l

Nog,

If the member screws up in court, say by by to the case. Ive seen it happen. In fact I think..............lets just say..........a member knew the man very well. Hence the keeping his d/l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 HowllinPelle

you are a stupid ****ing **** i hope you're on the front of the local paper, lose your liecince and get ass raped in jail by a big ukrainian ****ker named alexi

you are a stupid ****ing **** i hope you're on the front of the local paper, lose your liecince and get ass raped in jail by a big ukrainian ****ker named alexi

i have reported this thread to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Dude, we're all thinking it but when you say it out loud you will be the one on the recieving end of the Ukrainian bloke named....seamus*

*may not be ukrainian

so what has happened.have you been to court or what.please update us.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

he musta got locked up!

T&#225 wrote: »
    he musta got locked up!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

and he must be in solitary confinement coz they prisoners have access to the net !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

My brothers wife (the mother of my nephews) is in hospital two months and counting cause she was hit by a drunk driver a little older than you, shes got 142 staples ear to ear, a completely smashed leg and a mouth/jaw thats been wired together for a month.

The guy who hit her was drunk, and in the same situation as you.. first offence, not usually something he does. If i were you, i'd be glad im losing my licence and not three years of my life.

You could have ruined two familys that day but you didn't, id consider that lucky.

Advertisement