Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I move a PIR without triggering the Alarm?

Options
  • 07-02-2006 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have just moved house and am getting some new blinds at the windows beside the front door. The only problem is that there is a PIR sensor in the way.

There is a screw at the bottom of the sensor that if removed should allow me to investigate further but I am not too sure if I want to tamper with it yet.

The alarm is an eircom phonewatch but the phones were not connected when i moved in

Can anyone tell me if just removing the screw with trigger some tamper loop?

Or can this be done?

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Quazzy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you open the lid you'll trigger the tamper circuit and if phonewatch is connected may result in the cops arriving at the door.

The only way to do this is to have the enginner code for the alarm system. Some companies will give it to you if you talk shop to one of thier engineers but I doubt phonewatch will. Best bet would be find someone who has a phonewatch system in the area and who knows the code - odds are it'll be the same.

Failing that you'll have to get them out to do it - if you'd planned a service visit anyway (would recommend as there may be something wrong thats not obvious), the guy might do it as nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

stevec wrote:
    If you open the lid you'll trigger the tamper circuit and if phonewatch is connected may result in the cops arriving at the door.

The only way to do this is to have the enginner code for the alarm system. Some companies will give it to you if you talk shop to one of thier engineers but I doubt phonewatch will. Best bet would be find someone who has a phonewatch system in the area and who knows the code - odds are it'll be the same.

Failing that you'll have to get them out to do it - if you'd planned a service visit anyway (would recommend as there may be something wrong thats not obvious), the guy might do it as nixer.

Thanks for the info steve.

I think i'll have to bite the bullet and call eircom.

regards
    quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

would you not kill the power to the alarm, remove the control panel cover, alarm will go off, but pull the battery terminals, so it shuts up for a few min.
    Then find the wires for the PIR and disconnect them and put everything back together??????;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

can i ask, i want to wire a pir into an existing pir, do i just take power and signal from the first wired pir and feed it dtraight to the second new pir? i persume this wiring would be called in series, or would i have to go in parallel, which is much harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

quazzy wrote:
    Thanks for the info steve.

I think i'll have to bite the bullet and call eircom.

regards
    quazzy

There might be a test setting on the control box, that allows you to test PIRS etc. Is this a wired or wireless alarm?. If the Alarm is switched off and the bracket holding the PIR is screwed to the wall, un screwing this bracket is not any different than walking by the PIR in the first place, its just movement, however opening the PIR usually triggers a safety switch that fires the alarm. In my wireless alarm, you set the control pannel to test /battery change to open the PIR. but i can move the bracket anytime once the alarm is off.....

PS, i wouldnt ask those eircom so and so's to come out, i just got a charge on my bill for 165 for an imaginery engineer that never came out for some broadband issue i didnt have, it took me a week to get the charge off, and trhat was 165 before VAT!!!

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    can i ask, i want to wire a pir into an existing pir, do i just take power and signal from the first wired pir and feed it dtraight to the second new pir? i persume this wiring would be called in series, or would i have to go in parallel, which is much harder?
    as far as I know, the PIR requires 2 wires....correct me if I'm wrong.
    What way do want them to work?

It really depands on how your PIRs work.

lomb wrote:
    as far as I know, the PIR requires 2 wires....correct me if I'm wrong.
    What way do want them to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Lex Luthor wrote:
    would you not kill the power to the alarm, remove the control panel cover, alarm will go off, but pull the battery terminals, so it shuts up for a few min.
    Then find the wires for the PIR and disconnect them and put everything back together??????;)

Your external bell will go of for 20 mins if you do this.
    If it's a dummy box as most of Eircoms are then go ahead

Jnealon wrote:
    Your external bell will go of for 20 mins if you do this.
    If it's a dummy box as most of Eircoms are then go ahead
    it should only do this if the external bell has its own separate power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Lex Luthor wrote:
    it should only do this if the external bell has its own separate power supply

And it will if it's a phonewatch, all bells in the last 15 years have back up batteries, or at least they should. As phonewatch is only 15 years old and have been using HKC for most of it you can be sure it has a back up battery and will go off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

err if the tamper goes off just enter the user code and that will stop it.
    Then it will probably go off when you fit it back to where you want it but just do the same again and bobs your uncle.

I did them same several times when moving a PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Lex Luthor wrote:

I thought of killing the power but I'm pretty sure the alarm has its owns supply that may last a while and I would not be too comfortable messin' around with the wires n stuff and annoying my new neighboursif the alarm can't be turned off.

But thanks for the thought.

I rang eircom and they said they'll change it for about 100euro - I know its a bit steep but I don't know enough about electric things and alarms so best leave it too the "experts"

Thanks for all others who posted.

Regards
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

GreeBo wrote:
    err if the tamper goes off just enter the user code and that will stop it.
    Then it will probably go off when you fit it back to where you want it but just do the same again and bobs your uncle.

I did them same several times when moving a PA.

When I needed to remove the cover from my keypad I did just that, worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

If the phone isnt connected whats the trouble ? just let it go into alarm mode and reset it, assuming you have the code ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

ANOTHER phonewatch victim....

Advertisement