Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 07-02-2006 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Just recently I re-homed a stray dog that I came across at my work place. The dog was in very poor condition, mange on his coat, fleas and worms. After appealing to some people I knew an elderly gentleman agreed to take the dog and they got on famously. But now disaster has struck, someone came across the man and his dog and are trying to claim the dog as theirs. The dilemma now is should the dog be given back to these people who were not caring for the dog or keep the dog and report them to animal cruelty? I have photos of the dog in poor condition, the dog groomer will vouch for the condition of the dog and so will the vet. It is just a terrible situation to be in considering I was only trying to help and I feel very sorry for the man who re homed the dog. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd report them for cruelty if the dog was in a bad state like you say. I'm sure you feel like you opened a giant can of worms by getting involved in the first but you did the right thing - you gave the dog a second chance by getting him rehomed. It would be a shame to have that taken away from it after what it's been through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I don't know if the dog was brought to the pound or not but if a dog is brought to a pound or shelter as a stray and not claimed within a certain number of days, he can be rehomed, under law he now belongs to the new owner and there's nothing the previous owner can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

i wouldn't give the dog back at all. if he was as bad as you say he was when you found him then i would report them to animal cruelty. fair play to you for bringing him home and your friend who took him in. i'm sure he'll be a much happier little dog then he was. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would not give the dog back either - can they prove it is their dog?? Did the dog go running up to them all excited? Did you check to see if the dog was microchipped??

If the dog was in a bad condition & is now doing well in a kind & loving home then nope I would not take the dog away from his new owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Thanks for your opinions everyone, I'm thinking along the same lines as yourselves. We did mention the condition of the dog to the people who claimed ownership and they seemed to back off when we said we would report them for animal cruelty so fingers crossed we might not here any more from them, its been a few days already so hopefully things will work out. Thanks again for your opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

To be honest I'd tell the guards about the situation so if the people do come back asking about the dog, you can tell them that the guards know about it. I think it was very kind of you to take in the dog and look after it.

Advertisement