Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plath in English

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Wow,
    hey everyone, I'm the one who posted this thread so I have to say I feel party responsible for the temporary fight between smemon and Rockerette. But it's good to see there is a lot of passion out there for English!

I have to say I was gunning for Rockerette. Come on smemon... you are a bit too harsh towards poetry and English in general... I can't understand how u hate it and you get really good grades in it.

Well anyway, best of luck to all!

Oh yeah, I was also part of that 4.8% I'm proud to say. You can't beat English - it rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

No way was it 4.8%. Far more people than that got A's in JC english. I thought the paper was marked fairly easily. I know lots of people who did far better than they should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Muiriosa wrote:
    Wow,
    I have to say I was gunning for Rockerette.

:D
    yay!

yes.. our temporary fight was interesting alright. we've sorted out our disagreements now thought smemon? :rolleyes:

My year in school has about 80 in it.. and from what i can recall, 4 from my class got As, 1 from another class, and 2 from another.
    so thats 6/80.. which is... 7.5% of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

me too-i think we were all part of that 4.8%... the perctentage must be higher than that!
    smemon, i love some of the english course and hate other parts. not everyone likes english but some people genuinely do. you say you dont like reading so thatd explain it, but the many successful book stores around dublin would prove that this doesnt make you the majority.

and im still between two minds with this guaranteed 1 irish poet and 1 female poet! as much as id love it to be true, and statisically it is, i just have a feeling that id be the one to be screwed over by believing it-twud be just my luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cdak68

i love the english language, but I can't bring myself to be enthused about the lc course. There's something disturbing about studying the same few pieces of work for 2 years when there's so much great stuff out there unread. Also I hate How many miles to Babylon, which we're doing as a comparative text.
    Having said that English is still my best subject (and yes, I too am part of that great group, those soldiers of justice, those paragons of virtue, the mythical 4.8;) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

cdak68 wrote:
    i love the english language, but I can't bring myself to be enthused about the lc course. There's something disturbing about studying the same few pieces of work for 2 years when there's so much great stuff out there unread. Also I hate How many miles to Babylon, which we're doing as a comparative text.
    Having said that English is still my best subject (and yes, I too am part of that great group, those soldiers of justice, those paragons of virtue, the mythical 4.8;) ).
    How Many? is quite rubbish imo.

It's a womans look at a friendship between two boys. I don't mean to sound funny but she portrays the friendship with too much sentimentality - for example the two boys swimming naked in a lake together. It's all a bit too feminine tbh, very well written in parts, but some are cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i remember the 4.8% statistic vividly. it was in the irish times newspaper soon after the results cam out. what school produces a class full of A's in english??

i take it it's a private school?

smemon wrote:
    i remember the 4.8% statistic vividly. it was in the irish times newspaper soon after the results cam out. what school produces a class full of A's in english??

whats that supposed to mean??
    i go to a private school.... doesnt mean they make us any smarter!

it means you pay for it and d teachers work harder as a result.

it's like travelling 1st class on titanic and saying, 'we're not any better than 3rd class', yet deyve got big luxury penthouses and a whole lifeboat to themselves if the ship sinks.

if paying dont make u any smarter why do you pay for it in the 1st place then, when you can get education for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Back on topic..

There is generaly a female asked in the Leaving Cert as your going to have some feminist complaining from the back end of no where that they are being sexist etc.. so most likely we will get Bishop or Plath, Longley & Hardy, Im just persuming, but its a pretty high percentage.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    it means you pay for it and d teachers work harder as a result.

it's like travelling 1st class on titanic and saying, 'we're not any better than 3rd class', yet deyve got big luxury penthouses and a whole lifeboat to themselves if the ship sinks.

if paying dont make u any smarter why do you pay for it in the 1st place then, when you can get education for free?

just to make a point - my last school bill was for €64.... i dont pay much! i have grants/scholarships and stuff pay for most of it...

but apart from that, why do i go to the school?
    i dunno... its where i was sent...

But why would the teachers "work harder" than in any other school?? they get paid regardless...

and just for the record, i dont think im any better than anyone who goes to any other school...

Rockerette wrote:
    But why would the teachers "work harder" than in any other school?? they get paid regardless...

and just for the record, i dont think im any better than anyone who goes to any other school...

they work harder because they think everyone is actually interested in the subject whereas in public schools their job is to keep order basically and read the course from a book.

equality isnt a problem nowdays, it's demanded by everyone. but why pay for something when you can get it for free if it doesnt make you smarter? obviously people believe it does make you smarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

About the number who got A's in the JC this shows pretty clearly that 10.2% got A's last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

exiot wrote:
    Back on topic..

There is generaly a female asked in the Leaving Cert as your going to have some feminist complaining from the back end of no where that they are being sexist etc..

This is true. Same goes for an Irish poet, the Shinners would be up in arms if there was none :D

so 8% in 2003 then! ah well im still in the top 8% in the country in terms of english.

smemon wrote:
    they work harder because they think everyone is actually interested in the subject whereas in public schools their job is to keep order basically and read the course from a book.

not necessarily... you clearly have some kinda weired idea of private schools if you think that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You seem to be confusing private schools with "Not-shit" schools

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

smemon wrote:

erm.. like I said, our class was full of A's, but it's definitely not a private school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

I'll ready the crosses and garlic, you bring the Holy water. We'll make sure Plath Doesn't come up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

any one know the stats for for 2005's junior certers then?!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Jesus, this thread has gone sooo off-topic
    Where's a mod when you need one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

any one know the stats for for 2005's junior certers then?!...

Back issue of the Irish Times?? I did the JC in 2004...I managed to not see the unseen poetry question, thereby losing something like 60 marks. I got a C :/ Still got sorted into the 'A' class in 5th year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol, old thread, but smemon, if you read this, you have a far too cynical and "economic" view of the world. Yes you can bluff LC English by praising the authors and poets, licking up to the views of the examiners and correctors. (You can actually get an A by criticising poets, but it has to be balanced and supported rather than a negative, cynical rant. It's rather hard to prove that a piece of literature so critically acclaimed is worthless, so if you're going to write a negative answer you're going to have to make concesions.) But this doesn't make all literature a load of boring bollocks that no one likes. I mean, what do you have in your life that makes it enjoyable?

I reckon I could get an A1 or A2 in English if I worked a bit harder, but I think I'll focus on History for my 6th subject to count.(I already know I'm counting Maths, Physics, Chemistry, App Maths and Irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Could all the people claiming that a high mark in the JC/LC makes you special / talented at using the English language to express yourself shut the hell up? Seriously, it's a bloody exam, it shows you have the ability to learn things off, and spit them out again with a slight spin. I have no memory of the JC English paper except for the essay title "my pet hates." and news of idiots writing about the dog across the street that always growls at Fluffy... It really worries me that some people consider it so important that years later, you can still remember individual questions and how you answered them.

vis public/private schools: the LC is not perfect, your mark does depend a lot on your teacher unless you are in fact doing all the work yourself at home, stop trying to kid yourselves, in the vast majority of cases, a change of teacher could mean the difference between an B1 and a C1.

the female poet and Irish poet thing is not certain. The department would be perfectly within their rights to not use either. Yes, there would be complaints, but these wouldn't achieve anything, nowhere did the department state these rules, it is not their bloody problem if some students/teachers decided to try and cut corners. Another thing, no matter how many complaints happen, by that time the LC has been sat, and it's not going to change. Some people don't seem to realise that, every year there is complaints, sometimes there's allowances in the marking scheme, but nothing more than that ever happens, even in cases where material not on the syllabus is set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

cocoa wrote:
    I have no memory of the JC English paper except for the essay title "my pet hates." and news of idiots writing about the dog across the street that always growls at Fluffy... It really worries me that some people consider it so important that years later, you can still remember individual questions and how you answered them.
    Haha! Brilliant.

Bit of common sense at last. I applaud you, sir.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lauraxo

Any1 Got Art History Paper?!?!... I Have It 2muro Help!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^SHUT THE FÚCK UP AND LEARN HOW TO USE A FÚCKING FORUM PROPERLY!

(caps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

cocoa wrote:
    Could all the people claiming that a high mark in the JC/LC makes you special / talented at using the English language to express yourself shut the hell up? Seriously, it's a bloody exam, it shows you have the ability to learn things off, and spit them out again with a slight spin.

I have to agree with this:cool:
    LOL, Higher English is a joke, your grade depends partially on the bureaucratic stance of examiners for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ^SHUT THE FÚCK UP AND LEARN HOW TO USE A FÚCKING FORUM PROPERLY!

(caps)

Thou shalt not curse at satan!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

With regard to public schools not being as good as private schools...some of you might be interested to know that private schools take on lesser qualified teachers a lot of the time as they are under no obligation to pay them under the national pay agreement so I'd check my teachers qualifications and past records in other school before saying teachers in public school are inferior. On principle I wouldn't work in a private school, despite being head-hunted twice. Education in a public school is just as good.

Advertisement