Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High End DVD Players in Dublin

• 08-02-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi there, anyone know of any retailers in dublin that sells high end dvd players such as Marantz, Pioneer, Denon etc.

I've tried Harvey Norman but they don't have much at the moment

any suggestions folks ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Clooney Audio in Blackrock, OK, not quite Dublin but fairly close.

http://www.cloneyaudio.com/

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dublinn Hifi (Aungier Street) have LINN stuff, high-end and expensive.

The internet is a far better prospect for a purchase though, lots of good german and UK sites to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

What do these high-end DVD players give you over a standard Sony or Panasonic DVD player?

What do these high-end DVD players give you over a standard Sony or Panasonic DVD player?
    That's a good question, better build quality for sure but featurewise the midrange players now have everything that the top of range have.

I would not buy a topend DVD player now, not with bluray and HD DVD just around the corner. If you're that much into your movies then you're going to want one ASAP and at that stage your nearly new topend player will be worth practically nothing 2nd hand.

Something like the Pioneer 585 (progressive component,SACD, divX) or maybe a Samsung hd850 if HDMI is important/needed. Both should be available around the 150 euro mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Rael wrote:
    Hi there, anyone know of any retailers in dublin that sells high end dvd players such as Marantz, Pioneer, Denon etc.

I've tried Harvey Norman but they don't have much at the moment

any suggestions folks ?

I wouldnt buy anything from a shop in Dublin, especially anything highend cos your asking to be ripped off..

Talk to richersounds.ie and ask for Dave.. they have all the high end gear you'll want.. I'm gettin a Marantz DV7600 off them, along with a full cinema system.. delivery is very reasonable..

I also bought a JVC 32" LCD DS6 from England saving €800 off the Peats price!!

In relation to pH's post.. it really depends on what you think is a topend dvd player.. to me the Marantz DV9600 is a bit over kill at €1500 but to me (depending on your setup) €700 is not much to spend on a dvd player.. yet others think €200 is plenty to spend.. Its goin to be years before bluray or HD DVD hits the general user, they two formats still have to fight it out!!
    At the moment they are talking about people having 2 players under their tv which is nuts, cos they'll cost in the region of €1500 each when they are launched!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

branners69 wrote:
    .. Its goin to be years before bluray or HD DVD hits the general user, they two formats still have to fight it out!!
    At the moment they are talking about people having 2 players under their tv which is nuts, cos they'll cost in the region of €1500 each when they are launched!!

We need early adopters to buy. It's the guys that spent 1K on a device that allow the prices to drop to a level where us normal mortals have a chance to get this kit.

MrP

I would have said top-end was in the region of €750+ for a DVD player, and someone buying this is exactly the same person who will be buying an early HDDVD/bluray device and importing movies.

pH wrote:
    I would have said top-end was in the region of €750+ for a DVD player, and someone buying this is exactly the same person who will be buying an early HDDVD/bluray device and importing movies.

I suppose different strokes for different folks.. but to me a topend DVD player would be the Arcam Diva DV89 for €2k but to some it would be the Meridian Reference 800 DVD/A which costs in the region of €13k,which I find astounding!! But I'm sure there is some footballer out there who owns one!!

Sure I remember back in 1999 or 2000 paying £700(punt) for a pioneer 717, I still have it to this day and I always thought the picture quality was pretty good, but that was until I saw the xbox 360 hooked up to the JVC 32" LCD over component!! Amazing, I cant wait to see the Marantz DV7600 with the Pioneer 436XDE over HDMI:eek:

And your right I probably will be one of the first to get on the HD DVD/bluray band wagon. I will be getting a PS3 so will have bluray (but like before Sony may lose the format battle, ie Betamax Vs VHS). I will even probably import my favourite films, but with over 500 dvds I will always need a decent DVD player!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Actually I'm hoping to get a Marantz 7600 from richersounds in Belfast, next month :)

Which is going to be run on a Panasonic 42" Hi-Def plasma which is being ordered tomorrow night ;)

Rael wrote:
    Actually I'm hoping to get a Marantz 7600 from richersounds in Belfast, next month :)

Which is going to be run on a Panasonic 42" Hi-Def plasma which is being ordered tomorrow night ;)

Richersounds do some great deals.. where you getting the plasma from??

• Advertisement
Advertisement