Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Go to first new post' suggestion

Options
  • 08-02-2006 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else does this, but I'm constantly going to click the 'Go to first new post' button before the name of a thread, and instead I miss and click the name of the thread starter which is just a few pixels below, opening their profile in a new window. I know it's not much of a complaint in the grand scheme of things but it happens often enough to annoy me, and it must happen to other people too.

What I want to suggest is indenting the name below these posts to where the beginning of the thread name is. In other words change this:

fnp-before.gif

to this:

fnp-after.gif

It's probably (I'm not familiar with the vBulletin source) a relatively trivial code change, and I think it looks a bit neater too. But most importantly it makes that 'Go to first new post' button much easier to click. Try out a copy I made (by sticking four  s before the name) and see what I mean.

Any thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

One other small request I'd like to make on the first new post front (I posted it on the Development forum ages ago but doesn't seem like that's looked at)

The Thread of the Day links to &goto=newpost. Since the thread is random and it's the thread that's chosen for the day, any chance it can be linked to just the start of the thread instead of down the end of it? Most of the time I haven't seen the start of the thread and have to wait for the whole page to load (longer than usual today and yesterday) and then scroll back to the top

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

satchmo wrote:
    I don't know if anyone else does this, but I'm constantly going to click the 'Go to first new post' button before the name of a thread, and instead I miss and click the name of the thread starter which is just a few pixels below, opening their profile in a new window.
    Me too me too!
    satchmo wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    I whole-heartedly endorse this product and/or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

satchmo wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    Learn to use the mouse properly? :p

Seriously though, it's not an issue for me, I just click on the name of the thread.

It could also increase the size of each page - you couldn't accomplish it by just adding a few  's before the Thread Starter, because that would screw up layout for those using bigger/smaller fonts than default. The layout would have to be accomplished with extra div or table tags.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...or a "padding-left" CSS property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Why don't you just get used to clicking the last post button on the far right of the page (beside the last posters name) instead of the one beside the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Learn to use the mouse properly? :p
    Heheh I was just waiting for some smartass to say something like that!
    Seriously though, it's not an issue for me, I just click on the name of the thread.
    But that just brings you to the top of the thread, I'm talking about clicking on the 12x12 firstnew.gif image before the thread name that brings you to the most recent post that you haven't read yet. It's not exactly the biggest target in the world, and very easy to miss it and click on the name below.
    It could also increase the size of each page - you couldn't accomplish it by just adding a few  's before the Thread Starter, because that would screw up layout for those using bigger/smaller fonts than default. The layout would have to be accomplished with extra div or table tags.
    Oh yeah I fully realise   is the last thing you want to use for formatting, I was just using that as an example of it being a fairly trivial change. And even with span or div tags, the change in page size we probably be under 100 bytes on average - hardly a big impact on pages that hover around the 100k mark.

steveland? wrote:
    Why don't you just get used to clicking the last post button on the far right of the page (beside the last posters name) instead of the one beside the thread title?
    That brings me to the very last post in the thread, not the first new one since the last time I looked at it.

I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the only one that uses this button! Maybe nobody finds this a problem (although if oscarBravo does too, I'm willing to bet other people do), I just thought it would make everyones lives that little bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

satchmo wrote:
    I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the only one that uses this button!
    It's something that I used to use occasionally, but I found that because of sessions and the way I browse boards, it rarely brought me to the correct post, and I'd miss a few.

Yeah fair enough. At the same time, the way I browse is I open all my subbed forums in different tabs, and then click that little 'go to first new post' image on any threads that have new posts since the last time I checked - so the majority of the time it's the only way I open a thread, and I find it pretty fiddly. But seemingly I'm in the minority here.

Any admins have any input?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

On a related note, could page links be changed to (1, 2, 3, ...... 2nd Last Page, Last Page) for when there's only a couple posts on the last page?

• Advertisement
Advertisement