Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyperdrive

• 08-02-2006 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Am I the only person in the universe that doesnt think this is ****e?
    henderson.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've seen three episodes (..theres only been three so far, yea?) and thought they got better every week. The last one (with Gary Nevill day and yer man buying a planet) was very funny indeed.

Nick Frost is great.

Who says it ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

It's a poor man's Red Dwarf IMO. There's a couple of laughs in it but not enough to make you wanna tune in every week. Nick Frost is good in it though, he reminds me at times of David Brent.

Nah, it's different from Red Dwarf. Room for both I think.

Although I will say that Red Dwarf had some fantastic characters.. Hyperdrive doesn't really. Teal and the Commander are very funny I think, but Kevin Eldon is a big let down.. I'm fairly certin he's capable of more, but the character just isn't interesting.

Some of the others (Jeffers / Vine) are OK, but you wouldn't tune in to watch them (as you might do for any of Rimmer, Lister, Cat, Kryton and Holly).

I doubt very much the show will last the 15+ years Red Dwarf has, but I still like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

It's a poor man's Red Dwarf IMO. There's a couple of laughs in it but not enough to make you wanna tune in every week. Nick Frost is good in it though, he reminds me at times of David Brent.

I think this is a spot-on summary of it for me. There's the odd funny moment in it but it's definitely no 'Red Dwarf' in the laughter stakes. And the funny moments that have been in it so far have been the kind where you just smile a little or maybe have a little chuckle to yourself. There's no real "laugh-out-loud" or "laugh-till-the-tears-are-flowing-down-your-cheeks-and-your-sides-hurt-from-laughing-so-hard" moments like there used to be in 'Red Dwarf'. If the BBC were hoping to recreate the success and fanbase of 'Red Dwarf' with 'Hyperdrive' then I'm afraid it's just not happening.

And Nimrod's Son, you're dead right about Henderson's "Brent-esque" moments (particularly at times during his speeches to the crew). To be honest, I don't think it really works, though. Having said that, I think if you look at a lot of comedies these days they all seem to be trying to put in David Brent-style characters or Brent-esque moments in them now just for the sake of it and it usually doesn't work. I think Ricky Gervais is the only one who can and ever will be able to totally pull off that style and the rest are just bad imitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I think this is a spot-on summary of it for me. There's the odd funny moment in it but it's definitely no 'Red Dwarf' in the laughter stakes. And the funny moments that have been in it so far have been the kind where you just smile a little or maybe have a little chuckle to yourself. There's no real "laugh-out-loud" or "laugh-till-the-tears-are-flowing-down-your-cheeks-and-your-sides-hurt-from-laughing-so-hard" moments like there used to be in 'Red Dwarf'. If the BBC were hoping to recreate the success and fanbase of 'Red Dwarf' with 'Hyperdrive' then I'm afraid it's just not happening.

And Nimrod's Son, you're dead right about Henderson's "Brent-esque" moments (particularly at times during his speeches to the crew). To be honest, I don't think it really works, though. Having said that, I think if you look at a lot of comedies these days they all seem to be trying to put in David Brent-style characters or Brent-esque moments in them now just for the sake of it and it usually doesn't work. I think Ricky Gervais is the only one who can and ever will be able to totally pull off that style and the rest are just bad imitations.

nick frost (er who's actually writing it? him) is very tarintino type person he pick from things which were good, (ie straight steal tonight from pink panther), so he picks a bit of red dwarf and a bit of office and adds corporate spin and xenophobic britishness because thats where we are now... I dunno is it just me or does the constant genocide of the people they meet make them not very likeable, its probably a comment from him on these days but its wierd...

• Advertisement

nick frost (er who's actually writing it? him)
    No he aint.

Writing credits
    Kevin Cecil (writer)
    Andy Riley (writer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd probably watch it but I just find myself getting annoyed at that large burd in it whenever i see her.

Advertisement