Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublindudes vanity thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

have to agree with you on this dublindude...
    I remember the two of us got banned for namecalling each other in politics..:D
    Victor was the mod and I know I got a pm from him explaining why and how long..:cool:
    Months later I could not access personal issues..presume this was a ban but have no idea why..posted in feedback but got no replies..pm'ed the mods in PI and got a pm from Victor saying he'd look into it and still nothing..about 2 weeks later I was able to get back in but never found out why I had the prob in the first place..as a result of this I decided against renewing my subscription as I believed that I was not treated fairly..:mad:
    A lot of mods I find on here are on ego trips and need to be taken down a peg..just because you've got an abusive pm from someone doesn't facilitate the need to apply your negative thoughts onto another user..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Are you saying people who pay to use Boards.ie don't get better (can't think of any other word) treatment? That seems odd.

seamus wrote:
    Seriously, if you're going to make accusations you're going to have to provide some evidence, or I'm just going to lock this. DeV's probably going to ignore your PM. At best, he'll respond in this thread and tell you to feck off :)

WhiteWashMan anyone? It's not uncommon for people to say he abuses his moderator status (he insults people very regularily.) Victor bans people as if it's some kind of new toy.

That's just from PI.

I really don't want this to turn into a childish argument, so please can we keep anymore names out of it.

I would like to point out that there are plenty of good, fair mods on Boards.ie. It's the few who give the rest a bad name...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Airblazer wrote:
    Victor was the mod and I know I got a pm from him explaining why and how long..

posted in feedback but got no replies

pm'ed the mods in PI and got a pm from Victor saying he'd look into it and still nothing..about 2 weeks later I was able to get back in but never found out why I had the prob in the first place.

So basically, you've identified why you were banned, never pm'd him after the ban period was over (it's not automatic for mod bans) then posted in feedback and then say you don't know why you were banned (even though you just said it and Victor explained it to you)

You went about it wrong, you should have PM'd Victor first and when you didn't get the second reply after a few days, PM'd him again. He wasn't ignoring you, he probably just forgot.

Giblet my take on what he was saying is that no one told him about the ban, even though he's a subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

dublindude wrote:
    I really don't want this thread to escalate into a tit for tat insluting match so no names! I have PM DeVore with an example of nonsense moderating.

I have pm DeVore with Mexican burrito! ANDELEY!

I understand this website is a "community" website, and I think it's great at doing that, but a little banning policy can only be helpful. It seems like the right thing to do.

To you maybe, but you've got no idea what you're talking about. At all.
    And to the mods who are complaining that people PM them back after a ban etc. You have to understand that most people do not try to act bad or destroy a topic. They just have opinions that are different than yours, and they express themselves differently than you. This is totally normal in a social situation. So when you ban them (just like kicking them out of a party) they are going to take it personally. A little sensitivity or understanding ("He may have a different opinion to me but he's entitled to that") would go a long way!

99% of the people I ban have been stupid in some way. I generally always give fair warning, even if that is in a charter. So my experience does not tie in with your fanciful theories, because that's all they are. I want people to take their banning personally. It makes them think twice about doing it again.

Users are not entitled to anything on boards.
    I'm just trying to suggest a more fair and consistant approach, that's all.

There is by and large a fair a consistant approach. Charters are in widespread use. Users are not banned for personal reasons. You are merely the latest in a long line idealistic hopelessly naive users who strive to fight for some utopian goal of freedom and rights without understanding the fundemental core of how boards functions. Tens of thousands of users use this site every day without experiencing the hardships you're trying to hightlight.

The amount of people stupid enough to get themselves banned is a tiny tiny fraction of the overall population of boards.

So shut up. You're an attention whore and you're wrong. I hope the next freedom fighter who thinks they know some magical theory of how to make boards a better place is a bit more entertaining, because you're boring the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dublindude wrote:
    WhiteWashMan anyone? It's not uncommon for people to say he abuses his moderator status (he insults people very regularily.) ..

i may insult people, but i would like you to point out one example of me absuing my power?

you continue to do the same things over and over again and for some reason expect different results. thats my definition of stupidity.just in case you wanted to know why i call you an idiot. i feel justified in my labelling.

you seem to feel that everyone should bend or change the rules according to your logic. you wont give examples of anything, citing that you dont want to make tit for tat remarks, but youre free with your own condemnations.

so please. show the world my power abuse, ort else take your whinging and your whining and fúck off.

you got a ban.

why dont you try getting involved in the community sometime instead of trying to constantly test everyone and everything.

oh, and for the record, with regards to my insults, i am willing and prepared to take any ban handed out to me for anything that i do that goes against any forum charter, or the boards.ie site in general.
    if i get banned, i dont whinge about it, i get on with it and i know why i got it.
    dublindude wrote:
    Are you saying people who pay to use Boards.ie don't get better (can't think of any other word) treatment? That seems odd[.quote]

why would we?
    i dont pay to use boards.ie.
    i give my money happily. i give it to the community that i have been involved in for the past 10 years.
    if it helps to keep servers running, and allows me to help the community, then whats the problem?
    i dont demand any extra treatment. thats not what this community was set up for, and its not what is expected by the vast majority of people.
    i think it just goes to show the vast chasm in understanding of what this site is about, and what you appear to think it is.
    dublindude wrote:
    It happens to me in PI all the time I have very liberal views on sex. Some of the mods do not like that.

I have a number of friends who use boards.ie (they shall remain nameless...) and it has happened to them too.

It is particular moderators who do it. Most of the moderators do a fine job.

no, you get banned for being a cóck, not for having a different opinion. i think you will find there are mods in PI that have far more 'extravagant' sex lives than you have, so dont play the 'victimised and misunderstood' card here. please. youre not that fúcking interest quite frankly.
    dublindude wrote:
    No, Webhostingtalk.com

no, we're the peoples front of judia....
    dublindude wrote:
    A little sensitivity or understanding ("He may have a different opinion to me but he's entitled to that") would go a long way!

hey, how about a little sensitivity to the spirit of boards.ie, to the admins, to the mods and to other users?

you complain so much about mods, but apparently its not ok for me to complain about you?

you want some respect, you earn it.

you want sensitivity, you show back.

you want to start order me around in a position that i give up a large part of my life to try and make sure that boards runs for other 99.99% of boards users, build your own site and then pay me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dublindude wrote:
    Are you saying people who pay to use Boards.ie don't get better (can't think of any other word) treatment? That seems odd.

If you are talking about the subscribers...it should very much be considered a donation which gets you a few perks at the admins discretion: pink stars, editable tag line, the ability to change your username, access to the superb S&S and Subscriber forums.

Subscribers get no special treatment with regard to bans....sure there's a subscriber banned from all of the Games Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Airblazer wrote:
    Victor was the mod and I know I got a pm from him explaining why and how long..:cool:

Errr I assume you mean PI as Victor is not a mod on politics.
    Months later I could not access personal issues..presume this was a ban but have no idea why..posted in feedback but got no replies..pm'ed the mods in PI and got a pm from Victor saying he'd look into it and still nothing..about 2 weeks later I was able to get back in but never found out why I had the prob in the first place..as a result of this I decided against renewing my subscription as I believed that I was not treated fairly..:mad:
    A lot of mods I find on here are on ego trips and need to be taken down a peg..just because you've got an abusive pm from someone doesn't facilitate the need to apply your negative thoughts onto another user..

Well as you may or may not know there is no schedule system for bans, thats why most of us state on our PM that you contact us to get unbanned.

Again all I hear here is power abuse, ego trips but no examples. Dublindude has stated that he has sent a PM with one example of Mod Abuse, now excuse me but that doesn't exactly mean we can start filiming an episode of "When Mods Attack!"

As for respect etc it goes both ways and saying that saying people are on ego trips and have to be taken down a peg without proper recourse smacks of disrespect.

What this thread needs now is a more consolidated approach by dublindude and um... whoever else. I would suggest you create an organisation with a catchy acronym to help fight for the rights of banned users. Don't forget to create an icon and ask for a forum.

I'm just throwing ideas out here but how about: BANNED USERS RIGHTS TEAM! GO B.U.R.T!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I honestly don't think any of the mods are "power-tripping". It's actually quite a laughable idea.

I think what Dublindude is really trying to say is some mods go about their task with a more air of professionalism, if you will, and that maybe they should all adhere to this level.

But now in fairness, it being an unpaid job with little thanks it without doubt something that is at any given mods discretion, not a requirement. Just be glad some mods take the time to actually inform you with all the details you have laid down. :)

If you are willing to pay/contribute to a mod salary then by all means raise this issue again in the future :D

Nobody cares what you think Infancy. Well, apart from you.

OMG I JUST ABUSED SOMEONE WHO WAS BANNED! CALL B.U.R.T!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

amp wrote:

Thanks amp, it means alot that you take the time to specifically address me. If I wasn't so outrageously homophobic, I might even be touched. ;)

ps - what the hell is burt...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I'd be more worried about abusing someone in their Infancy... ;)
    amp wrote:

HavoK wrote:
    Thanks amp, it means alot that you take the time to specifically address me. If I wasn't so outrageously homophobic, I might even be touched. ;)

ps - what the hell is burt...?

Good lad. The first step towards conquering your faults is realising you have them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Giblet wrote:
    So basically, you've identified why you were banned, never pm'd him after the ban period was over (it's not automatic for mod bans) then posted in feedback and then say you don't know why you were banned (even though you just said it and Victor explained it to you)

You went about it wrong, you should have PM'd Victor first and when you didn't get the second reply after a few days, PM'd him again. He wasn't ignoring you, he probably just forgot.

read again old chap..first time i knew why i was banned...2nd time.,.no idea whatsoever

and yes dublindude..seems to make no difference if ur a paying customer or not..

Airblazer wrote:
    read again old chap..first time i knew why i was banned...2nd time.,.no idea whatsoever

Once bitten, twice stupid eh?

i may insult people, but i would like you to point out one example of me absuing my power?

But this is abusing your power. If a non-mod insults, he is banned (rightly so.) You should not get away with it just because you're a mod.

I fully believe in attacking the post. Attacking the poster is always wrong.
    you complain so much about mods, but apparently its not ok for me to complain about you?

Feedback and personal abuse are two totally different things. I have no problem with you disagreeing with my opinions on things (I'm fully aware I have very strong opinions on some things) but to continuously take it down to a personal level, just because you can, is sad and wrong.
    you want some respect, you earn it.

Don't be silly :)
    you want sensitivity, you show back.

I am sensitive with my posts. I never insult people.

This is the feedback forum. I was giving feedback that a banning process (basically, telling someone why they're banned) would be a good idea. It's not such an outrageous, let's get all offended, suggestion. It does make sense to tell someone why they're banned. Worst case scenario the bannie can think about their actions and learn from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

amp wrote:

As far as changing my personal approach to banning people. No thanks. I don't ban for fun or for grudges like you are insinuating but nor do I feel that people who are stupid enough to get banned deserve any kind of communication from me explaining why they were stupid.

hahahahahahahaha ^

Speaking of the "Go away" comment. Last time I pm'd Giblet asking him when a ban would expire I got nothing but "Go away" but I guess i'll be told a low life poster doesn't deserve any better? Get up out of that.

HavoK wrote:
    I honestly don't think any of the mods are "power-tripping". It's actually quite a laughable idea.

You obviously haven't had any differences with any I guess?

• Advertisement

Ag marbh wrote:
    hahahahahahahaha ^

Show me an example of somebody I've banned for fun or as part of a grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Ag marbh wrote:
    You obviously haven't had any differences with any I guess?

now that's funny....:)

amp wrote:

I haven't had a personal experience with yourself but by the way I see you go on around some of the forums and especially the prison forum I would certainly say you would enjoy banning immensely.

amp wrote:

amp, for the record, I think you do a fine moderating job.

You are being very defensive/aggressive in this topic though. I'm just making a suggestion/giving feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This thread appears to be about me
    dublindude wrote:
    personal grudge
    Do I actually know you? Or are you jsut the guy I've banned twice from PI for rambling off-topic posts?
    Airblazer wrote:
    I remember the two of us got banned for namecalling each other in politics..:D Victor was the mod and I know I got a pm from him explaining why and how long..:cool:
    I have never modded Politics other than the General Election Board.
    Months later I could not access personal issues..presume this was a ban but have no idea why..posted in feedback but got no replies..pm'ed the mods in PI and got a pm from Victor saying he'd look into it and still nothing..about 2 weeks later I was able to get back in but never found out why I had the prob in the first place..
    I have no particular memories of this, care to remind me?

Ag marbh wrote:
    I haven't had a personal experience with yourself but by the way I see you go on around some of the forums and especially the prison forum I would certainly say you would enjoy banning immensely.

Ah so yet more baseless stupid accusations coming from someone who has no idea what's going on. GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OR SHUT YOUR NEWBIE MOUTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

[duck n cover]

oh no. he's used the n-word.

[/duck n cover]

amp wrote:
    Ah so yet more baseless stupid accusations coming from someone who has no idea what's going on. GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OR SHUT YOUR NEWBIE MOUTH.

Im just going to label you based on what I see, no need to further justify it for myself as i'm perfectly content.

You went for the newbie card once again displaying your hunger to be above.

dublindude wrote:
    amp, for the record, I think you do a fine moderating job.

Well for the record, I couldn't care less.
    You are being very defensive/aggressive in this topic though. I'm just making a suggestion/giving feedback.

No you're not. You're being stupid. You want more rights for banned users. Even ordinary users have no rights. You fail to understand the reason people are banned in the first place. You think you are more important than you are. If I appear agressive it's a reaction to you're sheer abject stupidity.

You're suggestions are stupid. How hard is that to understand?

• Advertisement

amp wrote:

You're suggestions are stupidl. How hard is that to understand?

The banning procedure suggestion was quite good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement