Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about Netsoc

Options
  • 08-02-2006 9:43am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Are there any other netsoc members here?

It's now roughly four weeks into the new year and the main server of netsoc (orca) is still down. Am I the only person moderately concerned about this? A lot of mail appeared to go missing too when their DNS went down for a while. There's no mention of what the situation is on the netsoc site. Unless there's been a catastrophic failure of the server or something it's taking a long time to put everything back on it, as its name now points to the failover one permanently. (They also have a Sun Enterprise 450 (utopia) but i don't know what state that one's in at all.)

I'm a bit surprised by this because normally the guys in netsoc are really excellent, but it's been over four weeks now :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm in netsoc and I noticed this too.
    Have to agree with you that they're normally excellent, but it's been a bit too long at this stage. I've heard, though, that most of the administrative members are in their final years, so if it WAS a particularly bad failure, they mightn't have had time to deal with it.
    Still :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Afaik Orca is completely borked... but PM Syth or larryone, they're both Netsoc sysadmins. And yes, all but one of the sysadmins is in final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

All but two of the sysadmins are final year at the moment, and the Head SysAdmin (me) was sick for the week we had the initial problems, and has been ill again since. Trying to catch back up on final year project and courses is tough enough in that sort of situ, so I havent even had time to horsewhip the other sysadmins into doing stuff (currently trying to find the time to do this)

Orca will be down for a little bit while we try to fix a raid config problem. We have alot of work to do on it, as the disk that controlled the raid also hosted one of the partitions in the raid, and that was the disk that failed =0(

Someone stood on our rack. And somehow orca was kicked in the process. I have alerted comp services to what happened, and they said that there could have been some maintenance person in there or something. There are in the meantime loads of issues on the backup server we're trying to take care of.

The E450 is fine, but it was recently reinstalled with Solaris 10, and we were laying out the plan to move services onto it. However, these plans have all been postponed due to recent catastrophies.

Webpage updates will be happening when I kick people into doing it. We have been the victim of alot of very bad timing.

All apologies
    L

Advertisement