Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-Com to connect 90% of Berlin households to VDSL in 2006

Options
  • 08-02-2006 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

T-Com to connect 90% of Berlin households to VDSL in 2006

Deutsche Telekom's fixed network operator T-Com plans to have connected 90 percent of the households in Berlin to its high-speed fibre network based on VDSL technology before the end of this year. This ambition was made clear during the annual Internationales Press Kolloquim of the Deutsche Telekom Group. This means that the operator will have to have converted more than 6,300 cable branch boxes (CBB) to VDSL, followed by a further 5,000+ CBBs during the rest of the year. To integrate those CBBs in the high speed network T-Com is laying approximately 3,800 kilometres of fibre optic cable. This VDSL roll-out is part of Deutsche Telekom's plan to invest EUR 3 billion in rolling out a fibre optic network to provide VDSL-based services in around 50 cities in Germany at the end of 2007.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

for those that don't know, vDSL can either go much further at aDSL speeds or I think run at up to 20Mbps 2km or 3km from exchange. Also is can be compatible with ISDN lines.

The ripping out of ISDN to fit ancient POTS only DSL in Ireland is a scandal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its very short range Watty. VDSL scorches up to about 1.5km or 2km max and dies off quickly thereafter. You would be better off with ADSL2 after 3km .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its very short range Watty. VDSL scorches up to about 1.5km or 2km max and dies off quickly thereafter. You would be better off with ADSL2 after 3km .

The biggest difference is that VDSL is based around fibre connections. fibre generally is a big obstacle for ADSL however with VDSL fibre is not a problem.

This is basically "fibre to the kerb" (fibre to the CBB here) so therefore these artificial/arbitary ADSL distance limits are eliminated. However the limit is now distance from the cabinet approx 1200 meters or so.

bealtine wrote:
    This is basically "fibre to the kerb" (fibre to the CBB here) so therefore these artificial/arbitary ADSL distance limits are eliminated. However the limit is now distance from the cabinet approx 1200 meters or so.

In a nutshell it involves pushing fibre out to within 1200 metres (.75miles) of each premises and that will not happen here I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote:
    In a nutshell it involves pushing fibre out to within 1200 metres (.75miles) of each premises and that will not happen here I suspect.
    I agree.. and it's certainly years/euromillions away from happening here to cover the last 10%ish who still have no sign of BB in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    There is no reason why this should not be undertaken in our cities and towns. Having fibre to street cabinets that supply the surrounding .75 mile (cable length customer base) is perfectly doable. I remember this scenario being written about by the ODTR many years ago.

To do this would have been the task of the MANs – instead they bury, and are still burying – dead fibre underneath the footpaths of our towns – delivered on time and on budget.

As for the dispersed rural population this is not the scenario.

The incumbent will not do anything leading us into the future – the only concern their owners have is to get profits out of another unproductive sale. And the next owner will do the remaining real-estate asset stripping etc... And the CWU are willing accomplices to this as long as they get their share in it.
    And meanwhile both ComReg and the DCMNR are hyping up our broadband "progress", and both are still citing the dotcom crash as the main reason for our failure with broadband.

P.

There is no reason why this should not be undertaken in our cities and towns. Having fibre to street cabinets that supply the surrounding .75 mile (cable length customer base) is perfectly doable. I remember this scenario being written about by the ODTR many years ago.
    Perfectly doable and has been done to a limited extent especially in suburban sprawl towns like Tullamore. Shame that the street cabinet to which the fibre has been presented is normally an old model with no DSL 'shelf' or ventilation in many cases. Were these cabs modern there would be space.
    To do this would have been the task of the MANs – instead they bury, and are still burying – dead fibre underneath the footpaths of our towns – delivered on time and on budget.
    And thoroughly ignored by Eircom since they were laid outside their exchanges. The large regional towns have MANs which run past the eircom exchanges but eircom will not use these MANs as a matter of policy ...although I heard that this hard core refusal may have softened recently but do not know any further detail .
    As for the dispersed rural population this is not the scenario.
    Correct, the dispersal is too great . Each exchange typically serves out to 8000m (or 5 miles) with some lengths greater than that again. VDSL will be a city thing to compete with NTL/Chorus .
    The incumbent will not do anything leading us into the future – the only concern their owners have is to get profits out of another unproductive sale. And the next owner will do the remaining real-estate asset stripping etc... And the CWU are willing accomplices to this as long as they get their share in it.
    Soros robbed the piggy bank years ago, with the complicity of the CWU , when he loaded eircom with debt .
    And meanwhile both ComReg and the DCMNR are hyping up our broadband "progress", and both are still citing the dotcom crash as the main reason for our failure with broadband.
    Not quite true, eircoms worst moments in terms of their network were in the later 90's while still state owned, That's when the pairgain business got really out of control . The government wanted the debt paid off that had been around since the 1980s so that they COULD sell eircom .

Arguably eircom now do far more with far less but its certainly not enough to reverse the E-Tub of Europe policy that Comreg and the DCMNR try to finesse or lie about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The specs for the NEC vDSL product (studied about 2 years ago) indeed are only short distance at high speed. But at 2Mbps they can go further on copper than regular ADSL, and on ISDN or analog POTS line too.

The MANs are a great white elephant. I heard somplace that the ones in North West can connect anywhere as Eircom is quoting too much for backbone link to MAN. So anyone on it can only talk across town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Correct, the dispersal is too great . Each exchange typically serves out to 8000m (or 5 miles) with some lengths greater than that again. VDSL will be a city thing to compete with NTL/Chorus .
    That is very true, but couldn't it be possible to use RE-ADSL2 in those cabinets at the edges of towns to provide rural service? The cabinet serving me is about 5 km away and I could get broadband even without using ADSL2 if there were DSLAMs in cabinets.

Of course, ADSL2+ is different to VDSL but am I right in saying that DSLAMs that support VDSL can support ADSL2+ aswell?

Advertisement