Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct on imported car

Options
  • 08-02-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all, buying a car tomorrow that the dealer imported from U.K., the garage is doing all the vrt stuff(registering car and getting plates etc) but I was wondering, do I have to take it for nct test straight away or wait to be contacted by authorities? its a 2001 car....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I was told by someone in the vrt office they'd contact me. After two months i then got a snotty letter from the nct people saying they were aware i'd imported the car and why hadn't i booked it in for the test yet!

So yes it's upto you once you've put it on Irish plates to arrange the nct asap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Once the car is registered you will then need ot make an NCT booking.
    See this which states
    Vehicles imported to Ireland from outside the State (including Northern Ireland) must also go through the NCT (once the vehicle is 4 years old or more). This applies even if the vehicle previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test abroad. NCT test certificates will be valid until the next test due date, after which the vehicle (if still in Ireland) must be tested again.

The NCT on these imported vehicles is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin. (Again, the NCT will only be due once the vehicle is at 4 years old or more). Read more about importing a vehicle into Ireland here. After you have imported your vehicle and paid Vehicle Registration Tax you receive a Vehicle Registration Certificate. Bring this to your nearest NCT centre and have the vehicle input on the NCT database so that a record of your vehicle is kept. The next day, a test can be booked for your vehicle by contacting NCT (see 'Where to apply').

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Ah well I spose theres no getting away with it now! hehe, I just have to hope it passes without fail, my waranty should cover anything that fails the nct shouldnt it?

God its a stressful experience buying a car! I wont be doing it too often again! hehe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Many folk on here will tell you of their tales of not doing the NCT and never having a problem.
    To be honest, I reckon the only problem you might encounter is in the event of an incident and a subsequent claim.

Advertisement