Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Australia Calling

Options
  • 08-02-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello folks

Just looking for some advice. Tinking of moving back to Ireland this year. I have a Toyota prado 9Mts old top of the range but with a 4 Litre petrol engine. As I would be moving home I would not have to pay VRT. Would it be worth bringing this back or selling it and buying something smaller with a diesel engine. If I was to do this, what's a good car to bring back (considering I have no VRT to pay).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you buy a different car to bring back to Ireland, you must own it in Australia for at least 6 months, and you cannot sell it for 12 months on return to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Depends on whether you want to keep it in ireland. 4 litre is gonna cost you in petrol bills here in ireland. If you had a diesel model you could easily sell it once you got back here but dont know what the market would be for a 4 litre.

Just back from oz myself. (10 months). Weather is great here. Seriously though Dublin got 78% less rain in January than any January before! Looking out at a blue sky in dublin as we speak from my office.

(you couldn't bring back with ya a FJ40. kicking myself for not having one of those before i came home so that i could have imported it!)

Vic Bitter wrote:
    Hello folks

Just looking for some advice. Tinking of moving back to Ireland this year. I have a Toyota prado 9Mts old top of the range but with a 4 Litre petrol engine. As I would be moving home I would not have to pay VRT. Would it be worth bringing this back or selling it and buying something smaller with a diesel engine. If I was to do this, what's a good car to bring back (considering I have no VRT to pay).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Vic Bitter wrote:
    Hello folks

Thanks

Ho Ho Hoah!! Ill buy it from ya!!! Theres a large number of the 100 series on the road here now in 4.2TD guise.. not so many of the petrol. You won't get as good a machine for the money here, but tax and fuel bills will cripple. I still think you'd be able to sell it to an obscenely wealthy stud farm owner or property developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

kicking myself for not having one of those before i came home so that i could have imported it!)

I'm not so sure you could've. Travelling there is one thing but you were on a temporary visa I'm sure.

Was there for 3 years and became an ozzie citizen. Just like our Sonia!
    Big Balls wrote:
    I'm not so sure you could've. Travelling there is one thing but you were on a temporary visa I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

insurance would be your biggest problem with it here, see if you can get a quote from an irish insurance company before you ship it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

if i was in ozzey, i would bring back a nice monaro gto.........
    as they say in oz, only coke and milk comes in two litres:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Was there for 3 years and became an ozzie citizen. Just like our Sonia!

Very good.. but 10 months ain't 3 years! So I'm guessing it was just a travelling visa.

The Monaros are the job alright, I went to the Sydney Motor Show in Oct and the cars there were fantastic due to what people can actually afford to run in that country as opposed to this dump!

I used to feel that way towards my own country but a spell abroad makes you appreciate home that bit more.
    Big Balls wrote:
    and the cars there were fantastic due to what people can actually afford to run in that country as opposed to this dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why a jeep??? Would you have a 1.9 Ford Galaxy Ghia TDi with leather and all the trimmings, but watch the time limits either side of th move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

What are you planning to do with the vehicle(s) on your return. Family car or hauling horse boxes or a business.

From what read, if you cannot do with <2L, you may as well go the whole hog and get something =>3.0L, as the road tax is flat after 3.0L, and that will be the killer, unless of course you can register it as business vehicle.
    In which case you might want to bring another smaller <2L vehicle for non-business activities.
    Diesel would be better than petrol from a MPG pov, but the price of diesel and gas is about the same in ROI now, is it not?.
    Both at that size engine cannot be very high anyway.

Toy have a range of greater range of smaller trucks, 2x4 & 4x4, in Oz than in ROI from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Big Balls wrote:
    Very good.. but 10 months ain't 3 years! So I'm guessing it was just a travelling visa.

I think he was there for 3 years and back 10 months, that's the way I read it anyway.

Vic Bitter, if you buy a new car, you have to own it for at least 6 months before bringing it back VRT free, and you can't sell it on for a further year. And is there something about having to pay other taxes since it's not from the EU:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

legs11 wrote:
    if i was in ozzey, i would bring back a nice monaro gto.........
    as they say in oz, only coke and milk comes in two litres:D
    The classic monaro based on the Torana or the new Monaro based on the Commodore?
    I personally like the old one, much more muscle car than heavyweight tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't fancy your chances selling the Prado in Ireland, who wants one really. any obsenely wealthy property developers can afford new jeeps!

the new monaro of course, nery nice and agressive! saw loads down there. wish you could pick up a car like that here for 20 grand and run it.

legs11 wrote:
    the new monaro of course, nery nice and agressive! saw loads down there. wish you could pick up a car like that here for 20 grand and run it.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1436/article.html

link here.........

Advertisement