Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BB for gaming in limerick

• 08-02-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Just moved from Galway to Limerick and need to get BB in Monaleen. Im living in a downstairs flat so I reckon Digiweb metro isnt an option as I'd need to get a box on house above for height, so next best option is a wired connection via Esat I'll prob go for the 3mb/356kb one as I'd want it for gaming.

So I’ve two questions, first if anyone has BB around the monaleen/ castletroy /annacotty area who with and what’s it like and secondly I'd like to go wireless around the flat but is that a bad idea if I want to squeeze everything out of the connection for games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GregusManus

I have BT BB in Annacotty, 2Mbps/256kbps upload download. I use my own wireless router.

I guess I would use it mostly for skype, international phone calls, it is just like making a regular phone call, but less chance of delay (as i get when i make a regular international call), indicating that ping times are pretty low. Considering that is also over a WiFi connection, I would think that it would be also suitable for gaming - I dont have time for that stuff these days :(

Also with BB over copper (rather than air) you have a much more reliable service.

I would be suprised if you could get a decent service from Digiweb in Monaleen anyways. I am guessing the transmitter is on the Clarion or the other big building next to it. You might be blocked from direct line of sight by castletroy hieghts and also you would be a good distance away, thus decreasing digiwebs ability to provide you with high speed and low pings. Weather I am right or wrong, the argument is moot, as you can't put up a receiver anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The Limerick site in on the RTE mast on Woodcock Hill. Line of Site into Limerick is very good with a low LOs failure rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

monaleen should be mostly OK for Digiweb. My antenna box is not even fully above height of back door. But the box is small and light and can be unobtrusively mounted anywhere on the building.

UTV/Esat are available there. But is costs more as there is Phone Line Rental too. The Digiweb phone connection on Wirelsss does not eat the 3M/0.5M BB bandwidth.

I can see Monleen with Binoculars from here (Patrickswell, 12.5km from Digiweb on RTE mast at WoodCock Hill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My friend near Monaleen has had more outage on Eircom BB aDSL copper than I have had on Digiweb Metro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Well im not too well oriented yet, but I reckon the direction i need for digiweb is blocked by the very nice but very large trees out the back.

Any idea what sort of BB router thingy esat supply??

• Advertisement
Advertisement