Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mido thrown out of Egypt squad

• 08-02-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, he was subbed in the ANC Semi final against Senegal, then had a right pop at the coach.

Breaking news on SSN that he's been thrown out of the squad, and suspended for six months.

Looks like the Defoe / Keane partnership won't get off the ground after all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just seen this, he is the captain isn't he? was watching one game and he was talking to the players more than the coach. Bit of a joke sacking your best player

Great to see him back thou, can stick him back into Fantasy Football team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I watched it last night on the news and tbh, the Manager had no choice but to send him home. He had a right go at him in front of everybody.

The ironic thing is that the sub that was brought on for Mido scored the winning goal which kinda justifies his substitution.
    seansouth wrote:
    Looks like the Defoe / Keane partnership won't get off the ground after all.
    Was thinking the same thing myself, but I reckon Jol might stick them for at least the next 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Good news for Spurs. Apart from the game at the weekend, they'd been struggling without him.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Was thinking the same thing myself, but I reckon Jol might stick them for at least the next 2 games.

No chance, even after the game Jol said he still prefered to have a big man up front so I would say goodbye to Defoe, Keane has been imense the last few months for Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Big Nelly wrote:
    No chance, even after the game Jol said he still prefered to have a big man up front so I would say goodbye to Defoe, Keane has been imense the last few months for Spurs
    Well he'll definitely be playing them against Sunderland on Sunday. As you've said, Keane has ben on top form the last while and Defoe has gotten 2 in his last match. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

• Advertisement

Tottenham misfit Grzegorz Rasiak has joined Southampton on loan for the rest of the season with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

The Polish striker joins up again with Saints head coach George Burley, who signed him for Derby.

He has signed a three-month contract at St Mary's and will then complete a guaranteed £2million move.

The 27-year-old, who Burley signed on a free transfer from Siena before selling him on to Spurs for £2million, has endured a frustrating spell at White Hart Lane, starting just five games under Martin Jol and failing to find the net.
    "It was hard for me at Tottenham because I did not play much and I need to be playing regularly ready for the World Cup," he told the club's official website, www.saintsfc.co.uk.

"But that is a long way off and now I have to concentrate on helping Southampton, starting with a big game at Reading on Friday."

Mido back and Rasiak is out, knew this would happen. Hasn't done much this season at Spurs and I think it was just a player Jol brough in because he couldn't get anyone else in to cover. Wonder who Spurs will go after in summer to replace him. That Dutch guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wonder who Spurs will go after in summer to replace him. That Dutch guy?
    Lol, I'm sure Jol knows who you mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Tottenham misfit Grzegorz Rasiak has joined Southampton on loan for the rest of the season with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

It seems as though its actually 100% certain that he will "properly" join in the summer, an interesting loophole in the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Wonder who Spurs will go after in summer to replace him. That Dutch guy?

Dirk kuyt??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Mido has a terrible reputation for falling out with coaching staff. He fell out with the staff at Marseilles and then again at Roma. Glad to see he looks to have finally found somewhere that he wont fall out with the coaching because IMO hes a brilliant player. Heres hoping that he can keep it that way and fullfil his potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Another manager to add to Mido's hit-list :p He's a good player, but he really has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to internal discipline. Was it at Roma where he threatened his manager with a scissors??

p.s. Anybody want to explain to me how Southampton signed Rasiak outside of the transfer window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

p.s. Anybody want to explain to me how Southampton signed Rasiak outside of the transfer window?
    I think you're allowed loan signings when you're caught desperately short for cover in a particular area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I dont think the transfer window applies to clubs outside the premier league. THey cant sign anyone from a foreign club, but in the uk its fine.

Transfer window applies the same outside the Premiership. Southampton have been allowed get their loan signings and have agreed with Spurs to sign Rasiak permanently during the next transfer window.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Anybody want to explain to me how Southampton signed Rasiak outside of the transfer window?

Clubs outside the Premiership are allowed to sign players on loan, as long as they are based in England, up until April or something like that. They are not allowed make permanent signings though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of that rule. Rasiak reunited with Burely, might reignite his touch. He was very good for Derby last season when they finished in the play-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Heres video of the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Mido---Shehata-Incident?v=eEBDjJN23yY&search=mido

Mido said after being sent home he wouldn't be apologising to his manager. He thought he was playing well and would have scored. Unbelievable really, how can any player say they would have scored, and expect to save face. He was having an ineffective game and got 75 minutes anyway. Really, he is so far up his own hole.

I'm delighted for the manager because he would of been the fall guy if Egypt had not progressed because of what happened between him and Mido. Mido put him in a very difficult situation but thankfully it backfired on him.

That video is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mido is a Yiddo, Mido is a Yiddo,
    La la la la,
    La la la la!

Glad he's back for Sunday, and with a bit of luck that coach will stay with Egypt for 10 years and we'll never have to let himgo to the ACN again...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is a big weekend for Spurs (how long have I been saying that!!) as we've got what on paper should be the easiest draw out of all the teams around us.

Arsenal v Bolton
    Wigan v Liverpool
    Sunderland v Spurs

If Spurs can pull off a win, regardless of the other results, some of the teams will drop away. I'd happily take a draw in both the other games :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

Sorry about the late reply here, but Ive only just seen the clip of Mido going off on one at the Egypt manager!! I can't say too much cos when Rooney lost the plot v NI (and Spain when Sven hooked him) I wasn't laughing much then (I am English in case you havent realised), suffice to say, I wish more players had the passion shown by Mido (and Rooney). I think he has done well for Spurs this season and his partnership with Defoe and/or Keane has been pretty potent. If Jol can sign Mido, perhaps the Yiddos have a bargain on their hands.

Advertisement