Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr unhappy with Delaney comments

• 08-02-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0207/kerrb.html
    Kerr unhappy with Delaney comments
    Tuesday, 07 February 2006 9:06

Brian Kerr's lawyers contact the FAI over John Delaney's comments

Brian Kerr's lawyers have written to the FAI seeking redress for "clear and deliberate breach of a legal agreement" made between the former Republic of Ireland manager and the Association.

Kerr's side have reacted to comments attributed to the FAI's chief executive John Delaney in an interview in today's Irish Daily Mail.

Delaney is reported to have said that the fear factor for teams visiting Lansdowne Road disappeared under Kerr and that he found interesting Damien Duff's comment that Ireland played like a pub team.

According to a statement this evening, Kerr is "disappointed by the comments and greatly concerned by the inappropriate and mischievous presentation of the facts concerning his management of the team."

He says that the comments are 'defamatory' and "a clear breach of an agreement between him and the Association which he had entered into in good faith."

The Association declined to renew Kerr's contract when it expired at the end of the unsuccessful qualifying campaign for this summer's world cup.

Judging by the statement issued for Kerr tonight, it seems apparent that even though he was out of contract, there was some sort of confidentiality or 'gagging' clause agreed when he left the job and that he believes this agreement has been broken.
    I don't really see where Kerr is coming from with this one. I know there's no love lost between Kerr and Delaney but surely Kerr is only making matters worse by taken legal action?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

BaZmO* wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0207/kerrb.html

I don't really see where Kerr is coming from with this one. I know there's no love lost between Kerr and Delaney but surely Kerr is only making matters worse by taken legal action?
    Did Kerr get any compensation, I know that he was not due any, I'm just wondering if he got a pay off etc... If he did not, well hen he would hardly have entered into a "gag" contract, would he? Unless it was on the basis of some reference he would recieve from the FAI. I met John Delaney last week in Heathrow. Talked with him for a little while, I don't like his TV persona, but he actually came across as quite an intelligent and personable type chap face to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hobart wrote:
    Did Kerr get any compensation, I know that he was not due any, I'm just wondering if he got a pay off etc... If he did not, well hen he would hardly have entered into a "gag" contract, would he? Unless it was on the basis of some reference he would recieve from the FAI. I met John Delaney last week in Heathrow. Talked with him for a little while, I don't like his TV persona, but he actually came across as quite an intelligent and personable type chap face to face.

He received no pay-off. They didn't renew his contract. It was over so they didn't have to buy him out of any contract, hence no pay-off.

Looks like it was a gentleman's agreement or something:

agreement which he had entered into in good faith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kerr is one big MOAN as far as i see these days.
    Get on with your life Brian is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dcully wrote:
    Kerr is one big MOAN as far as i see these days.
    Get on with your life Brian is my advice.
    If there was an agreement then Delaney has obviously broken it. Delaney doesn't like Kerr, Kerr doesn't like Delaney. If Delaney broke and agreement let Kerr bring the idiot to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    If there was an agreement then Delaney has obviously broken it. Delaney doesn't like Kerr, Kerr doesn't like Delaney. If Delaney broke and agreement let Kerr bring the idiot to court.
    Agree with you about Delaney, but by Kerr bringing him to court it only smacks of sour grapes. He needs to just move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yeah, I agree "move on". Or maybe "put up or shut up". If the gentleman's agreement is null and void, then say what you want to say.

I'm sure Stan will be delighted with this.

PS I see Walsall has gone down the tubes since he left, and Merson has just been sacked. Shows how important he was to them :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If it was a "gentlemans agreement" then it means nothing and Kerr should just get over it. He is obviously still annoted that his contract wasnt renewed but he wasnt good enough. He has to just forget about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think if Delaney gave me a promise or 'gentlemans agreement' I'd take it with a pinch of salt. He seems about as genuine as his hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If they had an agreement not to comment on the past they should have stuck to it. I hope Kerr decides to dish the dirt on his time in charge, the FAI will only have themselves to blame if he does. If dealney can not keep his word you would have to question his suitabilty for his position.

Advertisement